Oct 12, 2012, 12:26 AM EDT
We will have four Game Fives in division series play this year for the first time ever.
The Orioles defeated the Yankees 2-1 in 13 innings tonight at Yankee Stadium to keep their season alive and force a decisive fifth game tomorrow afternoon.
The Orioles grabbed an early 1-0 lead when Nate McLouth hit a solo homer off Phil Hughes in the fifth inning, but the Yankees evened things up in the bottom of the sixth on an RBI ground out by Robinson Cano. The game remained tied all the way until J.J. Hardy delivered an RBI double off David Phelps in the top of the 13th inning.
Joe Saunders was shaky, yet effective for the Orioles, allowing one run on three hits and four walks over 5 2/3 innings. But the members of Buck Showalter’s bullpen were the real heroes on this night, as they held the Yankees scoreless for 7 1/3 innings while giving up just four hits and one walk. Darren O’Day came up huge yet again, this time tossing 2 2/3 shutout frames. Pedro Strop struck out two over two scoreless innings in his first appearance of the series while Jim Johnson tossed a perfect bottom of the 13th for the save.
Derek Jeter went 2-for-6 and Jayson Nix went 2-for-3, but the rest of the Yankees were a collective 3-for-35. Curtis Granderson went 0-for-5 with three strikeouts and is now hitting .063 (1-for-16) with nine strikeouts in the series. Alex Rodriguez went 1-for-4 with a walk and two strikeouts and was removed for a pinch-hitter in the second straight game. He’s 2-for-16 with nine strikeouts in the series. We may see an interesting lineup for the Yankees tomorrow with the season on the line.
The Yankees will send their ace C.C Sabathia to hill tomorrow while Jason Hammel will pitch for the Orioles. First pitch will be 5:07 p.m. ET. The winners will advance to face the Tigers in the ALCS.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 2
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)