Oct 12, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Two months ago there were reports that the Red Sox were “very interested” in re-signing impending free agent Cody Ross and then reports that the two sides were on the verge of a deal, so I’m not quite sure what to make of today’s news.
Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that “contract talks between the Red Sox and Ross have gained some momentum,” citing an unnamed source.
Boston has until five days after the World Series to keep Ross from hitting the open market as a 31-year-old free agent coming off a season in which he hit .267 with 22 homers and an .807 OPS in 130 games.
Ross had a very solid year, but it’s interesting that he’s suddenly in demand after having to settle for a one-year, $3 million deal from the Red Sox as a free agent last offseason. Back then he was coming off a sub par season, but Ross’ career numbers (.262 batting average, .783 OPS) are basically identical to his 2012 production with the Red Sox and he’ll be 32 years old in December.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 30
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 56
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)