Oct 12, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Two months ago there were reports that the Red Sox were “very interested” in re-signing impending free agent Cody Ross and then reports that the two sides were on the verge of a deal, so I’m not quite sure what to make of today’s news.
Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that “contract talks between the Red Sox and Ross have gained some momentum,” citing an unnamed source.
Boston has until five days after the World Series to keep Ross from hitting the open market as a 31-year-old free agent coming off a season in which he hit .267 with 22 homers and an .807 OPS in 130 games.
Ross had a very solid year, but it’s interesting that he’s suddenly in demand after having to settle for a one-year, $3 million deal from the Red Sox as a free agent last offseason. Back then he was coming off a sub par season, but Ross’ career numbers (.262 batting average, .783 OPS) are basically identical to his 2012 production with the Red Sox and he’ll be 32 years old in December.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 32
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 123
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (123)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)