Oct 12, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Two months ago there were reports that the Red Sox were “very interested” in re-signing impending free agent Cody Ross and then reports that the two sides were on the verge of a deal, so I’m not quite sure what to make of today’s news.
Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that “contract talks between the Red Sox and Ross have gained some momentum,” citing an unnamed source.
Boston has until five days after the World Series to keep Ross from hitting the open market as a 31-year-old free agent coming off a season in which he hit .267 with 22 homers and an .807 OPS in 130 games.
Ross had a very solid year, but it’s interesting that he’s suddenly in demand after having to settle for a one-year, $3 million deal from the Red Sox as a free agent last offseason. Back then he was coming off a sub par season, but Ross’ career numbers (.262 batting average, .783 OPS) are basically identical to his 2012 production with the Red Sox and he’ll be 32 years old in December.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 15
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 21
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 6
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 63
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games