Oct 12, 2012, 8:22 AM EST
There was chatter during yesterday’s Giants-Reds game that, seeing as though he’s only under contract through 2012 at the moment, it could be Dusty Baker’s last game at the helm in Cincinnati. Which, theoretically, could be his last game as manager.
Seems that isn’t the case, though:
Walt Jocketty will meet this morning w Dusty Baker and plans to offer short term contract #Reds
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) October 12, 2012
Baker’s last deal was a two-year deal, covering 2011 and 2012. The deal he had before that was a three-year contact. In August, the team’s president said he wants Baker in Cincinnati “for many years to come.”
Given the “short” talk here, it’ll be interesting to see if he merely gets a one-year extension. And, if he does, it’ll be interesting to see if he accepts it. The team has made long term commitments to Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips. Does it think that Baker is the guy to take them to the promised land?
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (102)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)