Oct 12, 2012, 11:59 PM EDT
The Nationals just added some valuable insurance in the bottom of the eighth inning, as Kurt Suzuki smacked an RBI single up the middle to push the score to 7-5 going into the top of the ninth.
Jason Motte allowed back-to-back singles to Adam LaRoche and Michael Morse to begin the inning, but bounced back to get Ian Desmond to ground into a force and Danny Espinosa on a pop-up. However, Suzuki delivered the two-out single for the Nationals’ first run since the third inning. Suzuki is 3-for-4 on the night.
Drew Storen is coming out for the top of the ninth as the Nationals are just three outs away from advancing to the NLCS to face the Giants. Carlos Beltran, Matt Holliday and Allen Craig are due up for the Cardinals.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 8
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 28
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 22
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)