Oct 12, 2012, 11:59 PM EDT
The Nationals just added some valuable insurance in the bottom of the eighth inning, as Kurt Suzuki smacked an RBI single up the middle to push the score to 7-5 going into the top of the ninth.
Jason Motte allowed back-to-back singles to Adam LaRoche and Michael Morse to begin the inning, but bounced back to get Ian Desmond to ground into a force and Danny Espinosa on a pop-up. However, Suzuki delivered the two-out single for the Nationals’ first run since the third inning. Suzuki is 3-for-4 on the night.
Drew Storen is coming out for the top of the ninth as the Nationals are just three outs away from advancing to the NLCS to face the Giants. Carlos Beltran, Matt Holliday and Allen Craig are due up for the Cardinals.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)