Oct 12, 2012, 11:59 PM EDT
The Nationals just added some valuable insurance in the bottom of the eighth inning, as Kurt Suzuki smacked an RBI single up the middle to push the score to 7-5 going into the top of the ninth.
Jason Motte allowed back-to-back singles to Adam LaRoche and Michael Morse to begin the inning, but bounced back to get Ian Desmond to ground into a force and Danny Espinosa on a pop-up. However, Suzuki delivered the two-out single for the Nationals’ first run since the third inning. Suzuki is 3-for-4 on the night.
Drew Storen is coming out for the top of the ninth as the Nationals are just three outs away from advancing to the NLCS to face the Giants. Carlos Beltran, Matt Holliday and Allen Craig are due up for the Cardinals.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 63
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 62
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29