Oct 12, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
High Heat Stats reminds us that today is the 15th anniversary of the greatest ump show in the history of ump shows. The day which explains why, every year, Livan Hernandez leaves half of a bottle of cognac and three roses on Eric Gregg’s grave.
The box score. And — though it sickens me to watch it — the video:
I assume Jim Joyce’s strike zone in yesterday’s Cardinals-Nats was as a tribute to it on the eve of this most solemn anniversary.
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 0
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 38
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 40
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 16
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72