Oct 12, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
High Heat Stats reminds us that today is the 15th anniversary of the greatest ump show in the history of ump shows. The day which explains why, every year, Livan Hernandez leaves half of a bottle of cognac and three roses on Eric Gregg’s grave.
The box score. And — though it sickens me to watch it — the video:
I assume Jim Joyce’s strike zone in yesterday’s Cardinals-Nats was as a tribute to it on the eve of this most solemn anniversary.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)