What’s the long-term plan for Dodger Stadium?

Oct 12, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT

Dodger Stadium

Steve Dilbek talked to Stan Kasten about the plan for renovating Dodger Stadium. In the short term — meaning this offseason — there are a lot of things that are going to get done: upgrades to the electrical system and water pipes. A sound system tweak. Addition of more gathering areas. That sort of thing.

But when asked about larger, more long-term plans, Kasten says that he and his partners haven’t thought about it yet:

“I know what we need in this ballpark for now, that I can do now in this off-season. Now if I also knew I was going to be here for the next 50 years like Wrigley and Fenway, then we’d also be doing probably other 50-year things,” he said. “I would be announcing a five-year building program. That may yet happen. I haven’t had my time to think about the second step … I know those are fair questions, and there will be time for me and us to think about that. We just haven’t had that time yet. My guess is we’ll be here, long term, permanent.”

And, as Dilbek notes, it is just a guess, as there are a lot of possibilities involving Chavez Ravine, AEG — which the Guggenheim Group which owns the Dodgers may buy — and AEG’s plans to build an NFL stadium. Which could be downtown. Or could be at Chavez Ravine.  As could a ballpark for that matter.

My instincts as a fan would be to go with a Fenway-style renovation, keeping the beauty, view, and the most apparent and wonderful elements of Dodger Stadium intact, while modernizing the place.  Ultimately, though, it’s gonna be about the money.  Because it’s always about the money.

1. El Bravo - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:15 PM

The Los Angeles Gold NFL team is real!

2. giantssb42champs - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Well of its always about the money, this ownership group sure doesn’t show it.

3. pdowdy83 - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Classic Stan-speak. The man drove me nuts with his interviews when he was with the Nationals. He says so much without really saying much of anything at all.

He could have condensed that into “We just took over the team a couple months ago. Up until two weeks ago we were focusing on the playoffs. Now we will focus on the stadium and come up with a plan of action.”

4. Mike Long - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Wow…I remember when the Oakland Coliseum used to look surprisingly like that.

(From 1989)
    Oakland Colisuem – 1989

If they’re going to preserve the old place, I hope they’re smart about it. They certainly have a great example of how to ruin a once beautiful stadium from their neighbors to the north.

5. melsh13 - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Just don’t replace it …

6. moogro - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:18 PM

A mile and a half walk through congested traffic up a steep hill from the nearest train station is not awesome. Park n’ ride lots far away, and shuttles that take forever to close the last 2 miles are not awesome.

7. mdav1042 - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Chavez Latrine is a shit hole, it should be demolished. Nothing but a bunch of gang bangers for fans. Send the team back to Brooklyn and bring an NFL team to L.A. “Dodger Dogs”… I have seen my dog crap more edible shit in the backyard. Go Giants!!!!!!

8. pinkfloydprism - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:30 PM

There is no long term plan. They plan on trading for another team’s stadium in the off season.

9. Utley's Hair - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:58 PM

What? No plans to get fans that show up before the third inning, and stay until the end?

• cosanostra71 - Oct 12, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Maybe they should distribute batteries.

10. eyeh8goodell - Oct 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Metal detectors for all the gang bangers smuggling weapons into the venue. How about an official stadium police force? An in-house courtroom and strip of jail cells. An extensive LE computer database for background checks on the many criminals in attendance to see which gangs in Mexico or South America they can be traced to.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2619)