Oct 12, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
After playing hero in Game 3 of the ALDS on Wednesday night, Raul Ibanez is being a thorn in the Orioles’ side again today.
Thanks to an RBI single by Ibanez in the bottom of the fifth, the Yankees have jumped out to a 1-0 lead over the Orioles in Game 5.
Mark Teixeira singled to lead off to the bottom of the fifth inning for the first hit of the day off Jason Hammel. After realizing that he wasn’t being held on by Mark Reynolds at first base, Teixeira then successfully stole second base, bum calf and all. Ibanez followed with a slow roller through the middle to bring him around to score. The interesting part is that if Teixeira was held on, the Ibanez grounder likely would have resulted in a double-play.
Sabathia is looking pretty tough thus far, holding the Orioles to just one hit and a walk while striking out four. If he’s at the top of his game, one run might be enough.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 13
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte