Oct 12, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
After playing hero in Game 3 of the ALDS on Wednesday night, Raul Ibanez is being a thorn in the Orioles’ side again today.
Thanks to an RBI single by Ibanez in the bottom of the fifth, the Yankees have jumped out to a 1-0 lead over the Orioles in Game 5.
Mark Teixeira singled to lead off to the bottom of the fifth inning for the first hit of the day off Jason Hammel. After realizing that he wasn’t being held on by Mark Reynolds at first base, Teixeira then successfully stole second base, bum calf and all. Ibanez followed with a slow roller through the middle to bring him around to score. The interesting part is that if Teixeira was held on, the Ibanez grounder likely would have resulted in a double-play.
Sabathia is looking pretty tough thus far, holding the Orioles to just one hit and a walk while striking out four. If he’s at the top of his game, one run might be enough.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)