Oct 13, 2012, 4:54 PM EDT
After he was benched in favor of Eric Chavez for the decisive Game 5 of the ALDS against the Orioles yesterday, Alex Rodriguez is back in the starting lineup for Game 1 of the ALCS tonight against Doug Fister and the Tigers.
Rodriguez will play third base and bat sixth in his return. It certainly makes sense to put A-Rod back out there tonight, as the Yankees’ backs aren’t up against the wall anymore. Chavez went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts yesterday, so it’s not like he made a very compelling argument to stick in the lineup tonight. Still, the Tigers will exclusively use right-handers in their rotation, so if A-Rod continues to struggle, he may find himself on the bench again at some point during the series.
Here’s the full Yankees’ lineup for Game 1 of the ALCS:
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)