Oct 13, 2012, 4:54 PM EST
After he was benched in favor of Eric Chavez for the decisive Game 5 of the ALDS against the Orioles yesterday, Alex Rodriguez is back in the starting lineup for Game 1 of the ALCS tonight against Doug Fister and the Tigers.
Rodriguez will play third base and bat sixth in his return. It certainly makes sense to put A-Rod back out there tonight, as the Yankees’ backs aren’t up against the wall anymore. Chavez went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts yesterday, so it’s not like he made a very compelling argument to stick in the lineup tonight. Still, the Tigers will exclusively use right-handers in their rotation, so if A-Rod continues to struggle, he may find himself on the bench again at some point during the series.
Here’s the full Yankees’ lineup for Game 1 of the ALCS:
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 30
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 37
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)