Oct 13, 2012, 11:05 PM EST
Alex Rodriguez got the start on Saturday, but he wasn’t around for the finish. After going 0-for-3, he was removed for pinch-hitter Eric Chavez with the Yankees down to the Tigers 4-0 in the eighth inning of Game 1 of the ALCS.
Up with the bases loaded and two outs in the first, Rodriguez hit a hard grounder in his initial at-bat off Doug Fister, only to see Jhonny Peralta make a diving stop and get the force play at second. A-Rod then hit into a double play his second time up. Batting again with the bases loaded in the sixth, he struck out on three pitches from Fister. The last one was a curveball low and away that he didn’t come close to making contact on.
The hitless game left Rodriguez 2-for-19 with 10 strikeouts in the postseason. He doesn’t have a hit versus a right-hander, and the Tigers will start nothing but righties throughout the ALCS.
One imagines the miserable night will lead to Rodriguez sitting in favor of Chavez in Sunday’s Game 2. Chavez, for what it’s worth, very nearly had a double hitting for A-Rod tonight, but he was robbed on a great play from center fielder Austin Jackson.
Rodriguez could get another chance in Game 3 against Justin Verlander. It’d seem to be a horrible matchup with the way Rodriguez is struggling to catch up to good fastballs right now, but A-Rod is 8-for-24 with three homers lifetime against Verlander, including 4-for-6 with two homers this year.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 45
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 169
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 51
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (169)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)