Oct 13, 2012, 1:05 AM EDT
Having spent most of his career with the Royals and Mets, Carlos Beltran hasn’t gotten to play in may postseasons. In fact, this is just his third in 15 major league seasons. However, he’s certainly made the most of his limited October action.
Beltran went 3-for-3 with two doubles and two walks in Friday’s Game 5 victory, giving him this ridiculous career postseason line: .375/.488/.817 with 13 homers in 104 at-bats. He’s scored 37 times, knocked in 23 runs and gone 9-for-9 stealing bases in 28 games. His K/BB ratio in 15/23.
Of course, Beltran has been a fine regular-season player too, going to seven All-Star Games and amassing three 30-homer seasons. Still, no one compares in the postseason. Beltran has the highest on-base percentage and slugging percentage of anyone with at least 60 plate appearances in the postseason. You may have heard of the two guys right behind him on the OPS list: Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.
In order to get Hall of Fame consideration, Beltran will probably need to play for a world champion before he’s all done. Otherwise, his postseason numbers may not be taken all that seriously. Currently 35, he still has a pretty good shot at 400 homers (334 now) and 1,500 RBI (1,243 now). His career .282/.360/.496 line pales in comparison to fellow Hall of Fame long shots Larry Walker and Lance Berkman, but Beltran was a Gold Glove-caliber center fielder for most of his first 10 seasons and it should be factored in that he spent the bulk of his career in pitcher’s parks. It’d be crazy to dismiss him.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)