Oct 13, 2012, 1:05 AM EDT
Having spent most of his career with the Royals and Mets, Carlos Beltran hasn’t gotten to play in may postseasons. In fact, this is just his third in 15 major league seasons. However, he’s certainly made the most of his limited October action.
Beltran went 3-for-3 with two doubles and two walks in Friday’s Game 5 victory, giving him this ridiculous career postseason line: .375/.488/.817 with 13 homers in 104 at-bats. He’s scored 37 times, knocked in 23 runs and gone 9-for-9 stealing bases in 28 games. His K/BB ratio in 15/23.
Of course, Beltran has been a fine regular-season player too, going to seven All-Star Games and amassing three 30-homer seasons. Still, no one compares in the postseason. Beltran has the highest on-base percentage and slugging percentage of anyone with at least 60 plate appearances in the postseason. You may have heard of the two guys right behind him on the OPS list: Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.
In order to get Hall of Fame consideration, Beltran will probably need to play for a world champion before he’s all done. Otherwise, his postseason numbers may not be taken all that seriously. Currently 35, he still has a pretty good shot at 400 homers (334 now) and 1,500 RBI (1,243 now). His career .282/.360/.496 line pales in comparison to fellow Hall of Fame long shots Larry Walker and Lance Berkman, but Beltran was a Gold Glove-caliber center fielder for most of his first 10 seasons and it should be factored in that he spent the bulk of his career in pitcher’s parks. It’d be crazy to dismiss him.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
He said the job he did was “masterful.” You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:07 PM EDT
Left-hander Tyler Lyons will start in Wacha’s place against the Nationals.
Sep 2, 2015, 4:31 PM EDT
Franco has had a fantastic rookie season.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
“He’s our closer . . . Rooooosebuuuuuudddd”
Sep 2, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT
64/4 K/BB ratio in 60 innings.
Sep 2, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
And, I would guess, it wont be such serious business here after a few years either.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:31 AM EDT
Of course their biggest problem is not going anyplace, as he owns the team.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:54 AM EDT
Miguel Sano statistical porn.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
A picture of A-Rod from yesterday — not this one — seems to be the tiebreaker here.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Getting healthy for October is the focus.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:51 AM EDT
He caught Kevin Quackenbush napping. Almost literally napping.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:37 AM EDT
A great catch and an extra innings walkoff homer.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:07 AM EDT
Its like watching a car crash. No, wait: a tricycle accident.
Sep 2, 2015, 7:04 AM EDT
Was this a . . . statement game?
Sep 1, 2015, 11:34 PM EDT
Would it endanger or enlighten Berrios’ career to give him a few starts in a postseason race?
Sep 1, 2015, 10:49 PM EDT
It was Cal Ripken Jr. Night on Tuesday at Baltimore’s Camden Yards, with the Orioles celebrating the 20th anniversary of Ripken taking over Lou Gehrig’s record for consecutive games played …
Sep 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Stanton has been on the disabled list since June 27 because of a broken hamate bone in his right hand.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
And he did it on the night the O’s are celebrating the 20th anniversary of Cal Ripken breaking Lou Gehrig’s record for consecutive games played.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York shares the plan …
Sep 1, 2015, 7:44 PM EDT
The reworking of the Red Sox has already begun under new club president Dave Dombrowski.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 23
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 102
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 75
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (102)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)