Carlos Corporan loses 16-month-old son

Oct 13, 2012, 7:28 PM EDT

carlos corporan ap AP

The Associated Press passes along tragic news:

The 16-month-old son of Houston Astros catcher Carlos Corporan has died.

Corporan told the team Saturday that Carlos Corporan Jr., had died. The team said he had undergone four heart surgeries since his birth in June 2011.

The team released a statement Saturday offering its condolences to the Corporan family, calling the boy’s battle with serious health issues “an inspiration to so many of us.”

This just nine days after A’s reliever Pat Neshek lost his infant son a mere 23 hours after birth.

Corporan, 28, batted .269/.310/.449 with four home runs and 13 RBI in 85 plate appearances this season.

1. kicksave1980 - Oct 13, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Not fair to have that many problems at such a young age. Rest in peace, little man.

2. thebadguyswon - Oct 13, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Awful

3. southofheaven81 - Oct 13, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Oh Christ, that’s horrible. No words at all.

4. randygnyc - Oct 13, 2012 at 8:32 PM

RIP.

5. kelshannon19 - Oct 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Stay strong Corp.

6. stex52 - Oct 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Recquisat in Pace, young Carlos. Life isn’t always fair or right. To his parents, my deep condolences.

7. clevername1 - Oct 13, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I have commented about this before, however it still baffles me. How do any of the previous comments provoke a thumbs down? Is your life that terrible?

My most sincere condolences to Carlos and his family. Very sad.

8. raysfan1 - Oct 13, 2012 at 9:58 PM

One can only imagine the kind of pain that family is feeling right now. My sincerest condolences for them and prayers for their peace.

9. retaeyssup - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:53 AM

I recently became a father and until then I had no idea what something like this would feel like. The simple thought of losing my baby daughter messes me up. I can only imagine what he’s going through.

10. stlouis1baseball - Oct 14, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Terrible. RIP little guy.

11. schim23 - Oct 14, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I know how you are feeling Carlos. My wife and I had a son in Oct. ’05. He was a handsome little man, but god called him home to be an Angel 25 hrs after he was born. My son would’ve been 7 yrs old this past Oct. I can tell you that the pain never goes away, but the memories I have of holding him will last me a lifetime. May God give you and your family peace and comfort during this tragic time. RIP Carlos Jr.!!! God bless you all…

12. mazblast - Oct 14, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Having no children of my own, I can only imagine the pain the Corporans are feeling right now. I hope they can find solace in the brief time they had with their son.

All the trade deadline news to know