Oct 13, 2012, 7:28 PM EST
The Associated Press passes along tragic news:
The 16-month-old son of Houston Astros catcher Carlos Corporan has died.
Corporan told the team Saturday that Carlos Corporan Jr., had died. The team said he had undergone four heart surgeries since his birth in June 2011.
The team released a statement Saturday offering its condolences to the Corporan family, calling the boy’s battle with serious health issues “an inspiration to so many of us.”
Corporan, 28, batted .269/.310/.449 with four home runs and 13 RBI in 85 plate appearances this season.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 10
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 55
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)