Oct 13, 2012, 7:28 PM EDT
The Associated Press passes along tragic news:
The 16-month-old son of Houston Astros catcher Carlos Corporan has died.
Corporan told the team Saturday that Carlos Corporan Jr., had died. The team said he had undergone four heart surgeries since his birth in June 2011.
The team released a statement Saturday offering its condolences to the Corporan family, calling the boy’s battle with serious health issues “an inspiration to so many of us.”
Corporan, 28, batted .269/.310/.449 with four home runs and 13 RBI in 85 plate appearances this season.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)