Oct 13, 2012, 10:50 PM EDT
The Tigers’ lead in Game 1 of the ALCS just grew.
Delmon Young launched a solo home run to the left field seats at Yankee Stadium with one out in the top of the eighth, pushing Detroit to a 3-0 advantage over New York with the evening growing increasingly late.
The dinger not only provided insurance for the Tigers in this crucial ALCS opener, it also made Young the all-time postseason home run leader in franchise history. (He overtook the great Craig Monroe).
The Tigers will ask their bullpen to nail down the final six outs. The bottom of the eight just began.
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 70
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)