Oct 13, 2012, 1:29 PM EDT
According to Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Times, the Dodgers announced yesterday that Dave Hansen will not return as hitting coach next season. Meanwhile, pitching coach Rick Honeycutt, bench coach Trey Hillman, third base coach Tim Wallach, first base coach Davey Lopes and bullpen coach Kenny Howell are all slated to return.
Hansen was promoted from hitting instructor to hitting coach last July after Jeff Pentland was fired, but he’s taking the hit after the Dodgers finished 16th in batting average and 26th in runs and on-base percentage this season. However, he has been offered another position within the organization.
No word on a potential replacement for Hansen, but Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune speculated this morning that Rudy Jaramillo could be a potential fit. Jaramillo was fired as hitting coach of the Cubs in June during his third season on the job. One of the more highly-respected hitting instructors in the game, the 61-year-old previously served as hitting coach with the Rangers from 1995-2009.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 115
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (156)