Oct 13, 2012, 4:06 PM EDT
We heard earlier this week that the Mets are expected to open negotiations with David Wright by offering him an extension “in the neighborhood” of $100 million. Mets general manager Sandy Alderson already began his pitch to Wright in September, but Andy Martino of the New York Daily News hears that formal talks between the two sides could begin as soon as next week.
Mike Puma of the New York Post was told by a baseball source last weekend that it’s feasible a deal could get done by the World Series, but a Mets source told Martino that it’s “too soon to tell.” While the Mets would like to keep a long-term deal in the range of $100 million, it’s believed he could command a six- or seven-year deal worth $120 million or more.
Wright, who turns 30 in December, batted .306/.391/.492 with 21 home runs, 93 RBI and an .883 OPS in 156 games played this season. His contract includes a $16 million club option for 2013.
The Mets have yet to engage in any serious talks with R.A. Dickey, though they are expected to at some point in the near future. If they two sides are unable to make progress, it’s possible the National League Cy Young hopeful could be traded this winter. His contract includes a bargain $5 million club option for next season.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)