Oct 13, 2012, 4:06 PM EDT
We heard earlier this week that the Mets are expected to open negotiations with David Wright by offering him an extension “in the neighborhood” of $100 million. Mets general manager Sandy Alderson already began his pitch to Wright in September, but Andy Martino of the New York Daily News hears that formal talks between the two sides could begin as soon as next week.
Mike Puma of the New York Post was told by a baseball source last weekend that it’s feasible a deal could get done by the World Series, but a Mets source told Martino that it’s “too soon to tell.” While the Mets would like to keep a long-term deal in the range of $100 million, it’s believed he could command a six- or seven-year deal worth $120 million or more.
Wright, who turns 30 in December, batted .306/.391/.492 with 21 home runs, 93 RBI and an .883 OPS in 156 games played this season. His contract includes a $16 million club option for 2013.
The Mets have yet to engage in any serious talks with R.A. Dickey, though they are expected to at some point in the near future. If they two sides are unable to make progress, it’s possible the National League Cy Young hopeful could be traded this winter. His contract includes a bargain $5 million club option for next season.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 0
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 31
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 135
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (136)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)