Oct 13, 2012, 10:45 AM EST
It wasn’t all good news for the Cardinals yesterday.
After leaving his start in Game 2 of the NLDS against the Nationals on Monday, Garcia sought advice from Dr. Robert Altchek, Dr. Lewis Yocum and Cardinals medical supervisor Dr. George Paletta. The southpaw may get a fourth opinion from Dr. James Andrews, but he is expected to make a decision soon because of the extended rehab time involved.
If Garcia goes ahead with the procedure, he will likely be shutdown for three months before beginning rehab, which puts him at risk for missing the early part of the 2013 season. If he ends up needing more extensive repair of his labrum or shoulder joint, it’s possible he could miss most or all of the 2013 season.
Garcia posted a 3.92 ERA over 20 starts this season and missed two months with a shoulder strain. The 26-year-old signed a long-term extension with the Cardinals last year and is owed $5.75 million next season, $7.75 million in 2014 and $9.25 million in 2015. His contract also includes club options for 2016 and 2017.
- Report: Cuban free agent infielder Hector Olivera could have damaged ulnar collateral ligament 0
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 11
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 8
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 138
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (138)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)