Oct 13, 2012, 5:20 PM EST
Shortly after we learned that Hiroki Kuroda would start on short rest for Game 2 of the ALCS against the Tigers tomorrow, Yankees manager Joe Girardi set the rotation for the rest of the series.
Jack Curry of YES Network reports that the Yankees will use Phil Hughes in Game 3 on Tuesday and CC Sabathia on regular rest in Game 4 on Wednesday. Girardi told Joel Sherman of the New York Post that he plans to stick with this arrangement even in the event that they lose the first two games of the series.
And so, here’s the tentative rundown of the matchups for the series:
Game 1 Tonight in New York: Doug Fister vs. Andy Pettitte
Game 2 Sunday in New York: Anibal Sanchez vs. Hiroki Kuroda
Game 3 Tuesday in Detroit: Phil Hughes vs. Justin Verlander
Game 4 Wednesday in Detroit: CC Sabathia vs. Max Scherzer
Game 5 (if necessary) Thursday in Detroit: Andy Pettitte vs. Doug Fister
Game 6 (if necessary) next Saturday in New York: Anibal Sanchez vs. Hiroki Kuroda
Game 7 (if necessary) next Sunday in New York: Justin Verlander vs. CC Sabathia
If Sabathia gets the call in a potential Game 7, he would be going on three days’ rest. Meanwhile, Verlander would be on regular rest.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)