Oct 13, 2012, 5:20 PM EST
Shortly after we learned that Hiroki Kuroda would start on short rest for Game 2 of the ALCS against the Tigers tomorrow, Yankees manager Joe Girardi set the rotation for the rest of the series.
Jack Curry of YES Network reports that the Yankees will use Phil Hughes in Game 3 on Tuesday and CC Sabathia on regular rest in Game 4 on Wednesday. Girardi told Joel Sherman of the New York Post that he plans to stick with this arrangement even in the event that they lose the first two games of the series.
And so, here’s the tentative rundown of the matchups for the series:
Game 1 Tonight in New York: Doug Fister vs. Andy Pettitte
Game 2 Sunday in New York: Anibal Sanchez vs. Hiroki Kuroda
Game 3 Tuesday in Detroit: Phil Hughes vs. Justin Verlander
Game 4 Wednesday in Detroit: CC Sabathia vs. Max Scherzer
Game 5 (if necessary) Thursday in Detroit: Andy Pettitte vs. Doug Fister
Game 6 (if necessary) next Saturday in New York: Anibal Sanchez vs. Hiroki Kuroda
Game 7 (if necessary) next Sunday in New York: Justin Verlander vs. CC Sabathia
If Sabathia gets the call in a potential Game 7, he would be going on three days’ rest. Meanwhile, Verlander would be on regular rest.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (88)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)