Oct 14, 2012, 8:29 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez came up with his first hit since Game 4 of the ALDS when he singled off reliever Phil Coke in the ninth inning Sunday against the Tigers. But hitting left-handers hasn’t been a real problem for him at any point this season.
In his three at-bats against righty Anibal Sanchez today, Rodriguez struck out twice and lined out to left field. He’s 0-for-18 with 12 strikeouts and a walk versus right-handers in the postseason.
And now, assuming he starts, Rodriguez will face the postseason’s best righty of all when the Tigers throw Justin Verlander in Game 3 Tuesday in Detroit.
One imagines Rodriguez will play third base once again. After all, he went 4-for-6 with two homers against Verlander during the regular season. He’s 8-for-24 with three homers lifetime versus the 2011 AL MVP.
Still, it seems like Rodriguez hasn’t gotten around on a good fastball from a right-hander in weeks. Sanchez had an easy time with him for two at-bats today before giving him an offspeed pitch he could handle in his third plate appearance. To his credit, Rodriguez hit it hard, only to see it end up in Quintin Berry‘s glove. Even so, it was a pitch Rodriguez may well have taken out of the park a year or two ago.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)