Oct 14, 2012, 8:29 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez came up with his first hit since Game 4 of the ALDS when he singled off reliever Phil Coke in the ninth inning Sunday against the Tigers. But hitting left-handers hasn’t been a real problem for him at any point this season.
In his three at-bats against righty Anibal Sanchez today, Rodriguez struck out twice and lined out to left field. He’s 0-for-18 with 12 strikeouts and a walk versus right-handers in the postseason.
And now, assuming he starts, Rodriguez will face the postseason’s best righty of all when the Tigers throw Justin Verlander in Game 3 Tuesday in Detroit.
One imagines Rodriguez will play third base once again. After all, he went 4-for-6 with two homers against Verlander during the regular season. He’s 8-for-24 with three homers lifetime versus the 2011 AL MVP.
Still, it seems like Rodriguez hasn’t gotten around on a good fastball from a right-hander in weeks. Sanchez had an easy time with him for two at-bats today before giving him an offspeed pitch he could handle in his third plate appearance. To his credit, Rodriguez hit it hard, only to see it end up in Quintin Berry‘s glove. Even so, it was a pitch Rodriguez may well have taken out of the park a year or two ago.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)