Oct 14, 2012, 8:29 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez came up with his first hit since Game 4 of the ALDS when he singled off reliever Phil Coke in the ninth inning Sunday against the Tigers. But hitting left-handers hasn’t been a real problem for him at any point this season.
In his three at-bats against righty Anibal Sanchez today, Rodriguez struck out twice and lined out to left field. He’s 0-for-18 with 12 strikeouts and a walk versus right-handers in the postseason.
And now, assuming he starts, Rodriguez will face the postseason’s best righty of all when the Tigers throw Justin Verlander in Game 3 Tuesday in Detroit.
One imagines Rodriguez will play third base once again. After all, he went 4-for-6 with two homers against Verlander during the regular season. He’s 8-for-24 with three homers lifetime versus the 2011 AL MVP.
Still, it seems like Rodriguez hasn’t gotten around on a good fastball from a right-hander in weeks. Sanchez had an easy time with him for two at-bats today before giving him an offspeed pitch he could handle in his third plate appearance. To his credit, Rodriguez hit it hard, only to see it end up in Quintin Berry‘s glove. Even so, it was a pitch Rodriguez may well have taken out of the park a year or two ago.
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 23
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 51
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 101
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (101)