Oct 14, 2012, 11:44 PM EDT
The Cardinals overcame a 6-0 deficit to win Game 5 of the NLDS against the Nationals. On Sunday, they found themselves with a 6-0 lead and then held on to beat the Giants 6-4 in the first game of the NLCS.
David Freese and Carlos Beltran hit two-run homers for the Cardinals as they built their six-run lead and knocked Madison Bumgarner out in the fourth. The rout was very short lived, though, as the Giants came right back with four runs in the bottom of the fourth, resulting in Lance Lynn‘s removal from the game.
Both bullpens matched zeroes from there, with neither offense able to score. Tim Lincecum pitched two scoreless innings for San Francisco, but five Cardinals relievers threw scoreless innings. Edward Mujica was credited with the victory after striking out the side in the seventh.
The Cardinals have to be feeling very good about the win, with their replacement starter — Lynn was inserted back into the rotation in place of the injured Jaime Garcia — beating the Giants’ No. 2. Now they get to throw Chris Carpenter against Ryan Vogelsong in Monday’s Game 2 in San Francisco.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 3
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 39
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 78
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)