Oct 14, 2012, 12:53 AM EDT
The Yankees were down 5-4 when Jeter ranged to his left in order to make a play. He grabbed the ball but tumbled down awkwardly and didn’t get up. In obvious pain, he was helped off the field without putting any weight on the leg.
With a clean break being the initial diagnosis, Jeter is expected to miss about three months, meaning he should be ready for spring training.
In Jeter’s absence, the Yankees will undoubtedly restore Eduardo Nunez to the roster for Sunday’s Game 2. Nunez took part in the ALDS, but he was replaced by reliever Cody Eppley prior to Saturday’s game, as the Yankees opted to go with 12 pitchers against the Tigers. Nunez will share time with Jayson Nix at shortstop the rest of the way.
Jeter was 1-for-5 with a walk and two strikeouts before departing tonight. Including the series against the Orioles, he was 9-for-24 (.375) with two RBI and three runs scored in October.
Jeter is the all-time postseason leader with 158 games played, 200 hits, 32 doubles and 111 runs scored.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games