Derek Jeter fractures ankle, out for postseason

Oct 14, 2012, 12:53 AM EDT

New York Yankees shortstop Jeter screams as he injures himself fielding a ball hit by  Detroit Tigers' Peralta during the 12th inning of Game 1 of their MLB ALCS playoff baseball series in New York Reuters

Derek Jeter suffered a fractured left ankle diving for a Jhonny Peralta grounder in the 12th inning of Saturday’s loss to the Tigers and will miss the rest of the postseason.

The Yankees were down 5-4 when Jeter ranged to his left in order to make a play. He grabbed the ball but tumbled down awkwardly and didn’t get up. In obvious pain, he was helped off the field without putting any weight on the leg.

With a clean break being the initial diagnosis, Jeter is expected to miss about three months, meaning he should be ready for spring training.

In Jeter’s absence, the Yankees will undoubtedly restore Eduardo Nunez to the roster for Sunday’s Game 2. Nunez took part in the ALDS, but he was replaced by reliever Cody Eppley prior to Saturday’s game, as the Yankees opted to go with 12 pitchers against the Tigers. Nunez will share time with Jayson Nix at shortstop the rest of the way.

Jeter was 1-for-5 with a walk and two strikeouts before departing tonight. Including the series against the Orioles, he was 9-for-24 (.375) with two RBI and three runs scored in October.

Jeter is the all-time postseason leader with 158 games played, 200 hits, 32 doubles and 111 runs scored.

See also: It’s just not the postseason without Derek Jeter.

1. windycity0301 - Oct 14, 2012 at 12:56 AM

From the replay, it sure looks like a broken leg. Hope I’m wrong, he’s fun to watch.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Joe says it’s a broken ankle. Total bummer, and I’m a lifelong Yankee disliker, but damn, Jeter. Total bummer.

• dcfan4life - Oct 14, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Agreed, you can hate the Yankees, and a lot of us do, but you have to respect a guy like Jeter to do what hes done in that environment in that city for that long. Hate seeing him carried off the field like that. I smelled broken ankle on the first replay, too bad the broadcasters needed glasses. They didn’t spot the point of the injury until a special replay showed them haha.

• polegojim - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Great Tigers Win… but Tough deal w Jeter.

Hope he’s ok and back. Not the same without him.

If we win, I want to beat the best. If we lose, I want to lose to the best.

Go TIGERS!

PS. Smyly ROCKED…. please leave Valverde in the hotel on DPL.. Disabled Pitchers List.

2. bronxbomber213 - Oct 14, 2012 at 12:57 AM

it looked bad when they carried him off…he’s done so are the yanks!

3. jatremblay - Oct 14, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Ouch

4. mattcerrone - Oct 14, 2012 at 12:57 AM

It almost looked to me his knee was hurt. I seemed to see a lot of unnatural movement side to side in his knee. Hope not as that might mean ligament.

5. mydadyourmom - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:00 AM

way she goes.

6. joelwrobinson - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:02 AM

love it. yankees suck.

• yournuts - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Only an imbecile and jerk would love to see someone get injured.

• bigharold - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Stay Classy.

• hammyofdoom - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Seriously, what kind of miserable human being likes it when dudes playing a game get hurt like this? I may be a Sox fan but one of the worst things I’ve ever seen was when Hideki Matsui broke his wrist while playing against the Red Sox… ugh, why would you ever wish for something like this?

• badintent - Oct 14, 2012 at 4:04 AM

@joelrobinson

Nice going Red Sox Fan, stay classless, brainless and keep choking your chicken.
      Don’t bother to tell me you’re not a Sox fan, sh*t smells.
      You idiots were panning the Yanks getting Ichiro, “he ‘s too old ” BS.
      Your team is strictly AAA as in minor leagues.

• blacksables - Oct 14, 2012 at 5:52 AM

You’re really not helping the point the comments above you made.

• iknowzeroaboutsports - Oct 14, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Please do not feed the troll.

7. wingnut739 - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I hate the Yankees but I always enjoyed watching Jeter play. Hope he makes it back. Go Tigers!

8. drewsylvania - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Huge, crushing loss for NY. Love it, especially because the fans tonight were the worst kind of stereotypical-Yankee-fan crap.

• jayscarpa - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:06 AM

You were there? Cool

• drewsylvania - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:09 AM

You watch with the sound off and with your eye’s closed? Neat.

• jayscarpa - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:12 AM

I’m sure the fans are just swell in drewsylvania. Is that anywhere near Philly?

• drewsylvania - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Actually, I’m a Red Sox fan, so everything I’ve said since May has been sour grapes.

• jayscarpa - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:19 AM

I didn’t know, sorry

9. raysfan1 - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Rough deal for the Yankees, drop game 1 at home and also the emotional blow of losing Jeter. Game 2 is tomorrow afternoon, so we’ll see quickly how this will affect the rest of the series.

• raysfan1 - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:49 AM

The above was posted prior to this article being updated to announce the ankle is broken. My apologies to any who may have felt I was being insensitive. I hope he recovers fully in time for next season as this season, sadly, is over for him.

• cur68 - Oct 14, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Yeah, he blew that thing out, no question. Hard to watch, really. Frankly, I think it was nearly ready to go anyways. He was having hell moving to his left as it was. Good luck to him on the re-hab.

10. mnlaw2012 - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Anyone else think it looked like a lis franc sprain, same as Santonio Holmes?

11. prosourcetalk - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Certainly looks like ligament damage with the awkward lateral movement of the knee as he’s going to the ground

12. sictransitchris - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I can’t wait to see all original and not-stale gift basket jokes on this one.

13. tommyshih - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Fractured ankle. He’s done for the year.

• raysfan1 - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:45 AM

They’re talking 3 months to recover. That’s mid-January, so any complications could affect the start of Spring training. Here’s hoping he recovers fully in time for next season.

Obviously, I’m a Rays’ fan and thus not a Yankees fan, but he’s an outstanding player, and baseball is more fun when all the best players are on the field. Again, I hope he recovers fully and quickly.

14. nworca - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:19 AM

It’s sad that the Tigers now get to beat the Yanks without Jeter. It’s just not the same, and would have been more fun with Jeter playing. I hope the rest of the Yanks step up and still make a series out of it, for Jeter’s sake.

15. ch0psuey - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Feel bad for Jeter, yes. Feel Bad for Yankees, no.

16. passerby23 - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Feel horrible for Jeter. I’m not cheering for the Yankees, but I never like to see that.

On another note, is it just me or has anyone noticed the complete absence of playoff-like atmosphere in Yankee stadium this postseason? It seems like the crowd is not into it at all; nothing to cheer for, like “been there done that”. Maybe it’s just me, but it doesn’t seem like playoff baseball in New York this year. It kinda reminds me of the Braves when they had their streak of consecutive playoff appearances. It just became blah after a while – no real excitement anymore.

• jason9696 - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:33 AM

I agree with you. Other than the home run by Raul Ibanez. Yankee Stadium was very quiet tonight.

• marinersnate - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Hmm, let’s see. I guess if you quit spending $200M a year on a lineup, and cut back to say, oh, I don”t know, maybe just $100M a year (you know, like most of the other teams not in the Northeast) then maybe you might just miss the playoffs. At least for like one year. Then, when you make the playoffs the next year (spending far more than other teams) you can again claim your “27 championships” are all due to “natural superiority”. And you (and the rest of your “fan base”) will be excited again.

Heck, just a suggestion.

• bronxbomber213 - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:53 AM

yea cuz that’s always the goal of a franchise…miss the playoffs every couple of years to stay hungry! you would make a stellar owner my friend!!!

• marinersnate - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:58 AM

“yea cuz that’s always the goal of a franchise…miss the playoffs every couple of years”

He’s the one that asked Sparky….

• klingonj - Oct 14, 2012 at 10:46 AM

then who will fill the pockets of the “take the cash owners that wont field a product” like KC, Pitt etc…………..

• raysfan1 - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:54 AM

I think it was just that they went down 2-0 and then 4-0, and so did not have much to cheer about until the 9th inning rally. Jeter’s injury quite naturally cast a pall over the crowd in the 12th.

17. jrs45 - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:27 AM

All obnoxious fans,

I’m an OSU Alum and a diehard Cleveland fan living in the Tampa Bay area. I can honestly say I do not hate Jeter and am pretty disturbed by all who are glad to see him go out ’12 on a fractured leg….get a life!!!

18. franklinandbashandflorio - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Never been a Yanks fan but I sure hoped Jeter would be alright for the next game. Get well soon, Derek!

19. philliesblow - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Sorry Jeter is hurt, but glad to hear it’s a fracture. My first thought was Achilles and that would be more difficult to come back from.

20. stairwayto7 - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Maybe Skip Bayless was right..ROIDS??????????

• raysfan1 - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Troll.

• nworca - Oct 14, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Have you no shame?

• klingonj - Oct 14, 2012 at 10:48 AM

thats delusional “maybe Skip Bayless (look at me dammitt I’m saying something edgy- dammitt don’t look away) is right”

21. jayscarpa - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:38 AM

I made fun of Suzyn Waldman yesterday but she did OK with the Jeter news. No tears, her voice cracked a couple of times. God bless her. She said that when Jeter went down Joe Torre rushed down to see what happened. Also the clubhouse is like a tomb. Everyone is saying the right things but Suzyn was whispering and hers was the loudest voice in the clubhouse. Anyway, that’s the radio report.
    Nice win for the Tigers, they could have been crushed under the weight of Valverde but they hung tight.

22. willclarkgameface - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Okay. So, you never want to see a player go down and you feel bad for Jeter because he’s a good dude, but COME ON.

Time to move on.

Talk about the Tigers now. Talk about the WIN.

It never works this way and I’m not being insensitive. I feel like everyone is being way TOO sensitive about this.

Tigers need to sweep the leg. Done and done.

• bronxbomber213 - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:56 AM

u do realize there is an article about the tigers win and this one is about jeter…maybe u should look to that article to talk about a tigers win………..

23. randygnyc - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Too bad. He’ll be the first in the new wing at the hall of fame for the “elite of the best”

• willclarkgameface - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Sure, if this wing is being put together by New York writers. I don’t get why he’s so untouchable. He’s a very overrated SS in the grand scheme of things. And I don’t mean in any way that he is bad. I think he gets TOO much credit.

• bronxbomber213 - Oct 14, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Thank you ive been sayig this for years…i mean 3000 hits is crazy overrated…only like 30 guys of all the players to ever play baseball since it was invented are in that category and being one of those 30 is pretty much as overrated as it gets!!!

• nworca - Oct 14, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Over rated? I don’t know. Maybe only for a Gold Glove. But as my friends and I have always said (and none of us have like the Yankees since 2000), Jeter is the epitome of a baseball player. He plays hard every game and every at bat. he keeps himself in shape and going. He swings at an inside pitcher’s pitch and puts it into right field for a hit when few others would.

I don’t like the “buy a championship” Yankees, but I think that Jeter shoud be called Mister Baseball. He carries his love of the game on to the field every day, and I respect that.

24. moogro - Oct 14, 2012 at 2:08 AM

He’ll be back. He’ll pinch hit with a BORG walking boot and pull a Gibson.

25. yahmule - Oct 14, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Here’s to hoping for a full recovery and a healthy start for him in 2013.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet