Oct 14, 2012, 10:49 PM EDT
After going down 6-0 to the Cardinals in the top of the fourth, the Giants came right back and knocked Lance Lynn out of the game in the bottom of the inning, closing to within 6-4. However, they’ve been unable to make up any additional ground the last two innings, leaving them with a two-run deficit with three innings to go.
With Madison Bumgarner out early, the Giants called on Tim Lincecum to pitch two innings tonight, and he was terrific. However, he was pulled for a pinch-hitter after 24 pitches. Jeremy Affeldt, who suffered a wrist injury in the dugout during Game 5 against the Reds, replaced him for the top of the seventh.
The Cardinals have also gotten good work from their bullpen so far, with Joe Kelly and Trevor Rosenthal pitching scoreless innings. Rosenthal was pulled after his hitless frame, so the Cardinals will be looking for one inning apiece from Edward Mujica, Mitchell Boggs and Jason Motte to close it out.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)