Oct 14, 2012, 10:49 PM EDT
After going down 6-0 to the Cardinals in the top of the fourth, the Giants came right back and knocked Lance Lynn out of the game in the bottom of the inning, closing to within 6-4. However, they’ve been unable to make up any additional ground the last two innings, leaving them with a two-run deficit with three innings to go.
With Madison Bumgarner out early, the Giants called on Tim Lincecum to pitch two innings tonight, and he was terrific. However, he was pulled for a pinch-hitter after 24 pitches. Jeremy Affeldt, who suffered a wrist injury in the dugout during Game 5 against the Reds, replaced him for the top of the seventh.
The Cardinals have also gotten good work from their bullpen so far, with Joe Kelly and Trevor Rosenthal pitching scoreless innings. Rosenthal was pulled after his hitless frame, so the Cardinals will be looking for one inning apiece from Edward Mujica, Mitchell Boggs and Jason Motte to close it out.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 0
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 20
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 92
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)