Jayson Nix will take over as the Yankees’ shortstop

Oct 14, 2012, 10:28 AM EDT

jayson nix getty Getty Images

There was some thought after Derek Jeter was diagnosed with a fractured left ankle late Saturday night that the Yankees might try Alex Rodriguez at shortstop at some point during the remainder of this 2012 postseason. But that will not be happening.

Yankees manager Joe Girardi made it clear to reporters in his postgame press conference at Yankee Stadium that A-Rod will remain either at third base or designated hitter and that Jayson Nix will take over starting duties at short. Eduardo Nunez will also be added to the Yankees’ ALCS roster to provide needed depth.

“No, I wouldn’t do that,” said Girardi on the topic of A-Rod being moved over. “It’s just been too long.”

Nix, 30, batted just .243/.306/.384 in 202 plate appearances during the regular season and has taken only four at-bats in these playoffs. Which of course means that he will wind up winning the ALCS MVP.

1. ireportyoudecide - Oct 14, 2012 at 10:57 AM

They will be fine, in 54 career ALCS games Derek Jeter is a slightly below average defender with a .751 OPS. That is replaceable. After all they had Jeter the first game and lost.

• drewsylvania - Oct 14, 2012 at 12:46 PM

But but…the mystique! The clutchiness! The bogus Gold Gloves! The…

• dondada10 - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I’m a Yankee hater. I can’t stand them and their bullshit “mystique.” But Jeter is money in the postseason, OPS or not.

2. mybrunoblog - Oct 14, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Losing a great layer in the post season is not unprecedented in sports . Teams have prevailed while missing key players. Reggie Jackson missed a world series back in the 70s and the A’s still won. Jeff Hostetler led the NY football Giants to a Super Bowll after Phil SImms went down back in 1990. I’m sure there are other examples. Hey Yankee fans. Nobody said this would be easy.

3. leerosenthall - Oct 14, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Big break (no pun intended) for this kid. Given that Raul Ibanez is the Yankees’ postseason MVP to date, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if Nix ends up making a big impact.

The Baseball Gods are strange fellows; they clearly favor the Yankees and the Cards, so it will be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out.

4. jayscarpa - Oct 14, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Good luck West Texas

• historiophiliac - Oct 14, 2012 at 12:02 PM

You mean Denton.

• jayscarpa - Oct 14, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Went to Midland HS – we’re both right

• historiophiliac - Oct 14, 2012 at 12:17 PM

But Austin Jackson is from Denton. ;)

5. proudlycanadian - Oct 14, 2012 at 11:21 AM

So Arod at SS was Nixed! Pity. I would have liked to see if he could still play the position.

• dirtyharry1971 - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:43 PM

How about them bluejays proudly? oh thats right they are sitting home watching on tv like i am, oh well you should be used to that

• proudlycanadian - Oct 14, 2012 at 3:35 PM

An alternative to Nix would have been for the Yankees to call up that dirtball Harold from his Scranton farm. Harold’s court mandated ankle bracelet limits his range; however, since he is always covered in dirt Harold is considered a true gamer in some circles. Watching Harold both play the field, and hit his balls left handed would be illuminating.

6. pisano - Oct 14, 2012 at 11:22 AM

The Yankees can’t get runners home from scoring position, it’s been their problem all year long. I’ve said all year that I’ve never seen some many K’s in one line-up. The numbers don’t support my claim, as I’ve been corrected by many on this site. I got so pissed off last night when in the fifth inning for the third time in the game they had bases loaded and couldn’t score. I actually turned the game off. That game should have been a Yankee blowout, but they let the Tigers hang until they got beat. The sad part is I don’t see anything changing. The Yankees have to make a lot of moves in the off season, as they’re an old team.

7. jason9696 - Oct 14, 2012 at 11:32 AM

The Jayson Nix that wasn’t even good enough to stick around with the Blue Jays last year. Good luck with that Yankee fans.

• Old Gator - Oct 14, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Well, like leerosenthal wrote above the Great Old Ones, in their configuration as the Baseball Gods, after creating life on Earth as a joke have continued to influence baseball with their raucous ancient sense of humor. During the postseason, they often select an unheralded mediocrity to shine forth and perform heroic acts on the playing field. Now they’ve got a guy to play with who spells his name a lot like they do. He’s got destiny written all over him.

• jayscarpa - Oct 14, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Yes, because Toronto’s prowess at evaluating & keeping talent is world renowned.

• indaburg - Oct 14, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Excellent point.

8. kvanhorn87 - Oct 14, 2012 at 11:48 AM

And now you new yawkers need ARod even more. I can’t wait for him to step up. It will be like Tom Coughlin all over again. How many times can someone’s head be called for and then these dopes backtrack and say they provided motivation. Stupid is as stupid does. Let’s go ARod.

9. kvanhorn87 - Oct 14, 2012 at 11:49 AM

@myself, worst case scenario I am wrong and ARod doesn’t step up and the Yankees lose. Kind of a win/win

10. libertynchurch - Oct 14, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Maybe this will help Cano and Granderson wake the f*ck up!

11. jolink653 - Oct 14, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Why don’t we just move Swisher to shortstop? This way when he doesn’t catch the ball he’ll at least have someone behind him to catch it or at least stop a runner from scoring

• pisano - Oct 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Good point about that ball should have been caught. This will be it for Swisher in pinstripes, he’ll probably be in Boston next year, and they can have him, he’s too much of a clown for my liking, and another strikeout artist artist. Somehow the Yankees HAVE to cut down on the K’s.

• aceshigh11 - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Oh, please…NO.

He’s a decent ballplayer and I’m sure his mischievous sense of humor could be useful in a clubhouse that will resemble a morgue next year, but he reminds me of an overgrown frat boy, which is NOT a good thing.

12. aceshigh11 - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM

That’s a real bummer.

Everyone knows I’m a Red Sox fan (gulp) but I have loads of respect for Jeter, as do most other Sox fans I know.

I’m sure he’ll come back strong next year. The guy is a a real trouper and a helluva athlete.

• pisano - Oct 14, 2012 at 2:37 PM

aces…. no offense to the Sox or you, as you’ve been one of the most sensible and honest posters out there, but I think you nailed it better than I when you said he was an overgrown frat boy, perfect description for Swisher. He does wear on you after a couple years, especially when he’s not producing.

• aceshigh11 - Oct 14, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Well, thanks.

I TRY to be sensible anyway…not always successfully…particularly when political topics come up.

13. jfk69 - Oct 14, 2012 at 3:16 PM