Oct 14, 2012, 7:49 PM EDT
My belief isn’t that we need more instant replay in baseball because umpire’s are incompetent. My belief is that it’s needed because a lot of things happen in baseball that are way too tough to call at normal speed.
This, however, was not one of those plays.
In the eighth inning of Sunday’s ALCS Game 2, second base ump Jeff Nelson ruled Omar Infante safe here.
Infante was trying to make it back to second after rounding the bag too far on a single. He obviously failed. It should have been the third out of the inning. Instead, he and one more baserunner came around to score in the frame, upping the Tigers’ lead from one run to three.
Now, the Yankees didn’t lose today because of Jeff Nelson. They lost because they couldn’t hit. And while it was a horrendous call, the play only arose because of Infante’s sloppy play. The Yankees were robbed of an out, but they gave up the two runs because they allowed hits to four straight batters.
Regardless, Nelson’s call was bad enough that it’d be justified to bench him for the rest of the postseason, if MLB did things like that. Since it doesn’t, he’ll be right back out there on Tuesday.
Here’s the video:
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 57
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)