Oct 14, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT
Giants first base coach Roberto Kelly suffered a concussion on Saturday afternoon when he was struck in the back of the head with a ball during batting practice. He is expected to make a complete recovery, but doctors have advised him to rest up for the next couple of days and he’s going to cooperate.
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Joe Lefebvre has been asked to coach first base in NLCS Games 1 and 2 against the Cardinals. Kelly will be reevaluated Tuesday before a decision is made about his status for Game 3 on Wednesday in St. Louis.
Lefebvre worked this season as a senior scouting advisor for the Giants, but he has experience in a wide range of coaching roles. Kelly’s absence is doubtful to be a factor at all over these next two nights.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 8
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)