Oct 14, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT
Giants first base coach Roberto Kelly suffered a concussion on Saturday afternoon when he was struck in the back of the head with a ball during batting practice. He is expected to make a complete recovery, but doctors have advised him to rest up for the next couple of days and he’s going to cooperate.
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Joe Lefebvre has been asked to coach first base in NLCS Games 1 and 2 against the Cardinals. Kelly will be reevaluated Tuesday before a decision is made about his status for Game 3 on Wednesday in St. Louis.
Lefebvre worked this season as a senior scouting advisor for the Giants, but he has experience in a wide range of coaching roles. Kelly’s absence is doubtful to be a factor at all over these next two nights.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)