Oct 14, 2012, 5:40 PM EST
Giants first base coach Roberto Kelly suffered a concussion on Saturday afternoon when he was struck in the back of the head with a ball during batting practice. He is expected to make a complete recovery, but doctors have advised him to rest up for the next couple of days and he’s going to cooperate.
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Joe Lefebvre has been asked to coach first base in NLCS Games 1 and 2 against the Cardinals. Kelly will be reevaluated Tuesday before a decision is made about his status for Game 3 on Wednesday in St. Louis.
Lefebvre worked this season as a senior scouting advisor for the Giants, but he has experience in a wide range of coaching roles. Kelly’s absence is doubtful to be a factor at all over these next two nights.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 19
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)