Oct 14, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT
Giants first base coach Roberto Kelly suffered a concussion on Saturday afternoon when he was struck in the back of the head with a ball during batting practice. He is expected to make a complete recovery, but doctors have advised him to rest up for the next couple of days and he’s going to cooperate.
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Joe Lefebvre has been asked to coach first base in NLCS Games 1 and 2 against the Cardinals. Kelly will be reevaluated Tuesday before a decision is made about his status for Game 3 on Wednesday in St. Louis.
Lefebvre worked this season as a senior scouting advisor for the Giants, but he has experience in a wide range of coaching roles. Kelly’s absence is doubtful to be a factor at all over these next two nights.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (210)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)