Oct 14, 2012, 9:45 AM EDT
Bradley Beal, the No. 3 overall pick in this summer’s NBA Draft, was born in St. Louis, grew up there, and became the best high school basketball player in the city’s recent history at Chaminade College Prep.
Like most St. Louisans, his love for the Cardinals runs deep. Even while at the University of Florida for his one-and-done freshman campaign, Beal could often be spotted wearing a red fitted Cardinals hat.
But he now lives and works in Washington, D.C. and will head up a promising young Wizards backcourt this season alongside former University of Kentucky star John Wall. You can probably guess where this story is headed…
Beal sent out a congratulatory tweet — “STL turnupppp !!!” — after the Cardinals pulled off their stunning ninth-inning comeback Friday in Game 5 of the NLDS against the Nationals. It swiftly brought on negative reaction from sports fans in and around the nation’s capital, including threats and requests that he be traded.
“People forget I’m from St. Louis!” Beal, who turned 19 years old on draft night, tried to explain in a follow-up tweet. “It was a great comeback for my home team, am I wrong for cheering them on?”
Beal spoke with Michael Lee of the Washington Post on Saturday about the reaction:
“I was hearing threats and everything, like, ‘Watch your back,’” Beal said. “People were like, ‘I’m not going to cheer for you.’ I was like, whatever. It was probably moreso the timing, but at the same time, it’s my city. It’s not going to affect the way I play. I got to do something to redeem myself, I guess. … Every time I stopped watching the game, they started [coming back]. They did it last year, and they came back and won. That’s how it is.”
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 4
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 3
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20