Oct 15, 2012, 8:39 PM EST
After dropping Game 1 of the NLCS against the Cardinals last night, the Giants are off to a quick start in Game 2.
Angel Pagan delivered a leadoff solo home run off Chris Carpenter in the bottom of the first inning to give the Giants a 1-0 lead. He also hit a leadoff homer in Game 4 of the NLDS against the Reds. He’s just the second player in MLB history to hit two leadoff homers in the same postseason, joining Jimmy Rollins in 2008.
Ryan Vogelsong ran into a little trouble in the top of the first, but managed to escape unscathed. The inning featured a brutal takeout slide by Matt Holliday, as he slid past the second base bag and barreled into second baseman Marco Scutaro in order to break up a potential double-play. It was a very scary-looking play and while second base umpire Greg Gibson didn’t make an issue of it, it appeared to be over the line. Fortunately for the Giants, Scutaro was OK and the Cardinals didn’t score.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)