Oct 15, 2012, 8:39 PM EST
After dropping Game 1 of the NLCS against the Cardinals last night, the Giants are off to a quick start in Game 2.
Angel Pagan delivered a leadoff solo home run off Chris Carpenter in the bottom of the first inning to give the Giants a 1-0 lead. He also hit a leadoff homer in Game 4 of the NLDS against the Reds. He’s just the second player in MLB history to hit two leadoff homers in the same postseason, joining Jimmy Rollins in 2008.
Ryan Vogelsong ran into a little trouble in the top of the first, but managed to escape unscathed. The inning featured a brutal takeout slide by Matt Holliday, as he slid past the second base bag and barreled into second baseman Marco Scutaro in order to break up a potential double-play. It was a very scary-looking play and while second base umpire Greg Gibson didn’t make an issue of it, it appeared to be over the line. Fortunately for the Giants, Scutaro was OK and the Cardinals didn’t score.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 236
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (239)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)