Oct 15, 2012, 8:39 PM EST
After dropping Game 1 of the NLCS against the Cardinals last night, the Giants are off to a quick start in Game 2.
Angel Pagan delivered a leadoff solo home run off Chris Carpenter in the bottom of the first inning to give the Giants a 1-0 lead. He also hit a leadoff homer in Game 4 of the NLDS against the Reds. He’s just the second player in MLB history to hit two leadoff homers in the same postseason, joining Jimmy Rollins in 2008.
Ryan Vogelsong ran into a little trouble in the top of the first, but managed to escape unscathed. The inning featured a brutal takeout slide by Matt Holliday, as he slid past the second base bag and barreled into second baseman Marco Scutaro in order to break up a potential double-play. It was a very scary-looking play and while second base umpire Greg Gibson didn’t make an issue of it, it appeared to be over the line. Fortunately for the Giants, Scutaro was OK and the Cardinals didn’t score.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)