Oct 15, 2012, 7:25 PM EST
Yankees manager Joe Girardi has been resistant to use Brett Gardner in the starting lineup because he only has four at-bats in the majors (including one on Saturday) since his elbow injury in mid-April, but the team’s continued struggles on offense have them reconsidering matters.
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman was on the “The Michael Kay Show” today and said that Gardner is “a possibility” to be in the lineup when the ALCS continues in Detroit this week.
“He still might play a role in this thing,” Cashman said on ESPN New York 98.7 FM’s “The Michael Kay Show.” “You could very well see Gardner in this big outfield that Detroit has. The way our offense is, it is a possibility. He deserves consideration considering what is going on right now.”
Nick Swisher is just 4-for-26 (.154) with eight strikeouts during the postseason while Curtis Granderson is 3-for-26 (.115) with 14 strikeouts, so both players are at risk for being benched. If Girardi really wants to shake things up, he could sit them both and go with Gardner, Ichiro Suzuki and Raul Ibanez in the outfield and Eric Chavez out of the DH spot, though the prospect of using the 40-year-old Ibanez in that spacious outfield is a little scary.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)