Oct 15, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
While he has yet to meet with the specialist in North Carolina who will make that final determination, Matthews is reporting that Jeter suffered ligament damage making surgery necessary. The surgery should not affect his availability for spring training.
The stuff further down in Matthews article is what I find most interesting: the speculation that the bone bruise Jeter had already been suffering from was painful enough that it messed with his footwork, which in turn made the awkward steps which led to the broken ankle happen. It’s hard to really know the causation in play there, but it seems plausible.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 4
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (86)