Oct 15, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
While he has yet to meet with the specialist in North Carolina who will make that final determination, Matthews is reporting that Jeter suffered ligament damage making surgery necessary. The surgery should not affect his availability for spring training.
The stuff further down in Matthews article is what I find most interesting: the speculation that the bone bruise Jeter had already been suffering from was painful enough that it messed with his footwork, which in turn made the awkward steps which led to the broken ankle happen. It’s hard to really know the causation in play there, but it seems plausible.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 42
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)