Oct 15, 2012, 6:16 PM EST
The Giants’ Tim Lincecum said he was ready to pitch in relief tonight after throwing two scoreless innings in Sunday’s Game 1 against the Cardinals. However, it appears to be manager Bruce Bochy’s strong preference to reserve him for the Game 4 start, according to CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly.
“We’d like to have that option if we decide to go that way,” Bochy said. “We’ll do all we can to win this one. And we also have Barry Zito if we use Timmy.”
Of course, Zito could still get his start later on. Bochy appears to be weighing using him over the struggling Madison Bumgarner in Game 5.
Asked if he would pick Zito over Bumgarner, Bochy hedged, saying that “it’s still a decision.”
If Lincecum gets the start in Thursday’s Game 4, it would be his first since Sept. 30. He’s allowed one run in 8 1/3 innings during his three postseason relief appearances.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 22
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)