Oct 15, 2012, 6:16 PM EDT
The Giants’ Tim Lincecum said he was ready to pitch in relief tonight after throwing two scoreless innings in Sunday’s Game 1 against the Cardinals. However, it appears to be manager Bruce Bochy’s strong preference to reserve him for the Game 4 start, according to CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly.
“We’d like to have that option if we decide to go that way,” Bochy said. “We’ll do all we can to win this one. And we also have Barry Zito if we use Timmy.”
Of course, Zito could still get his start later on. Bochy appears to be weighing using him over the struggling Madison Bumgarner in Game 5.
Asked if he would pick Zito over Bumgarner, Bochy hedged, saying that “it’s still a decision.”
If Lincecum gets the start in Thursday’s Game 4, it would be his first since Sept. 30. He’s allowed one run in 8 1/3 innings during his three postseason relief appearances.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)