Jason Isringhausen “pretty sure” he’s retiring

Oct 15, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT

isringhausen getty Getty Images

Jason Isringhausen said last month that he was “70-30″ in favor of retiring and this morning the 40-year-old Angels reliever reiterated that he’s likely calling it quits after 16 seasons in the majors.

During a radio interview with KFNS-590 in St. Louis, where he played seven years, Isringhausen said:

At this point, I’m pretty sure I’m done, but if some GM is dumb enough to want to sign me, I might come back for another year.

Isringhausen was still a reasonably effective middle reliever this season, throwing 46 innings with a 4.13 ERA, but he had an ugly 31/19 K/BB ratio and it’s tough to imagine any general managers, “dumb enough” or not, offering him more than a minor-leagure deal.

If this is it for Isringhausen he finishes with 300 career saves and a 3.64 ERA in 1,008 innings while earning nearly $60 million, which is pretty damn good for a one-time prospect bust.

1. stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Solid career. Enjoy retirement Izzy.

2. beefytrout - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Cool story bro time:

Back in the late 90′s, my parents ran a small retail store. One day I was working there with my Mom, and the last customers of the day were this couple. They paid by check, and had the last name of Isringhausen. This was right after Jason had injury and attitude issues that caused him lots of problems. I asked the couple if they were related to him, and they immediately rolled their eyes… turns out, it was the dude’s aunt and uncle, and apparently were a bit embarrassed by Jason’s shenanigans. I think they actually called him a knucklehead at one point.

So yeah, back then even his family pretty much thought he was going to wash out. At least he was able to right the ship and have a long career.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Cool story bro.

3. wethog66 - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Wow this makes me feel old reading this. I remember way back when when Isringhausen, Bill Pulsipher and Paul Wilson were all over the media as up and coming rookie phenom’s for the Mets. What year was that? Early to mid nineties at least.

• gammagammahey - Oct 15, 2012 at 5:00 PM

1995 was when they were first lumped together as “Generation K”.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3457)