Mr. Wallach, where do you see yourself five years from now?

Oct 15, 2012, 3:37 PM EDT

Tim Wallach must have aced that question:

If he doesn’t get the job it’s probably because he whiffed on the “what is your greatest weakness” question. Dudes, no matter what your friends tell you beforehand, the “sometimes I just work too hard” answer is usually seen as the b.s. answer that it is.

1. The Dangerous Mabry - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I don’t know. I heard the Sox front office is an “intellectual” sort of place, so they probably go with some of those “clever” interview questions, like “Why are manhole covers round?”

2. The Rabbit - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Yep great BS answer. Even better is: ….and I expect my staff to work as hard as I do.

3. mdpickles - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Whenever I hear, “Where do you see yourself in 5 years” questions, always want to say, “Well, I don’t have a crystal ball, and like most men, I don’t even see where I’ll be 5 minutes from now.”

Usually just make up another BS answer.

• kopy - Oct 15, 2012 at 4:46 PM

“Celebrating the 5 year anniversary of you asking me this question.” -Mitch Hedberg

• kopy - Oct 15, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Sorry, didn’t make it down to beefytrout before answering.

4. mazblast - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I remember an interview I had years ago with one of those Personnel Department drones, for a job that everyone knew was going to go to the nephew of one of the bigwigs at the company. Having another offer on the table (one I accepted), I decided to have my fun–

Q: Where do you see yourself in five years?
    A: Hopefully above ground.

Q: What is your greatest weakness?
    A: I have no patience with people who read questions off a list and don’t write down the answers.

Q: What kind of job do you really want?
    A: Preferably, one with lots of money and few responsibilities.

• garythebat - Oct 15, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Funny answers, sure, but I’d bet the farm that this conversation never took place anywhere but your imagination.

5. number42is1 - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:58 PM

best.answer.ever

• schlom - Oct 15, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Dammit, I was getting ready to post that.

6. beefytrout - Oct 15, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Celebrating the 5 year anniversary of you asking me this question!

7. dodger88 - Oct 15, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Worst answer to “what is your greatest weakness” question

I’m a perfectionist. I have conducted hundereds of interviews and I hate that answer most of all.

8. natstowngreg - Oct 15, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Maybe he went the George W. Bush route. When asked to name one mistake he had made as President, Bush said he couldn’t think of any.

But I give Wallach more credit than that, of course.

9. willclarkgameface - Oct 16, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Well, the Red Sox are doing their part in covering MLB-mandated “minority candidate” list by interviewing Tony Pena and Demarlo Hale. I wish BOTH of them would tell them where to stick it because I don’t think the Red Sox will hire either of them even though I think Hale would be a really good choice for this current group of players.

The Red Sox need to just hire one candidate that can handle the baseball ops side of things and all of the decision making on the field. My number one candidate? Larry Lucchino. Full uniform and all.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4027)