Nick Swisher on Yankee Stadium booing: “It hurts … sometimes I’m a sensitive guy”

Oct 15, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT

swisher-101021

Nick Swisher broke from his usual “Roll Call” salute to fans in the Yankee Stadium bleachers yesterday because Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports that he was “stung by jeers he heard from the home crowd” during Game 1 of the ALCS.

Here’s more from Swisher:

That’s the last thing that I ever thought would be in this ballpark, that people would get on you that bad. Especially your home, where your heart is, where you’ve been battling and grinding all year long. It’s just frustrating, man. You never want to be in that spot. It’s not like you’re trying to go out there and do bad on purpose. It’s just tough, man.

Swisher has played four years in New York and, based on those comments, apparently hasn’t noticed the Yankee Stadium crowd booing Alex Rodriguez on a semi-regular basis essentially that entire time.

Swisher added that he doesn’t like the personal attacks he’s heard within the boos:

Last night was pretty big. A lot of people saying a lot of things that I’ve never heard before. Prime example: I missed that [12th-inning Delmon Young] ball in the lights, and the next thing you know, I’m the reason that Jeter got hurt. It’s kind of frustrating. They were saying it was my fault. …

It hurts. Sometimes I’m a sensitive guy and some of the things people say, they get under your skin a little bit. I’ve been lucky to be here for the past four years, bro. We’re not going to go out like this. We’re going to go to Detroit and give everything we’ve got.

Blaming him for the Derek Jeter injury is silly, of course, but “I missed that ball in the lights” isn’t a magic wand that can be raised to remove all criticism, particularly considering Swisher is now hitting .167 in 45 career playoff games. He’s been terrible and the Yankee Stadium crowd, like many baseball crowds, often boos players who perform terribly. There’s not a whole lot else to it, although Swisher’s impending free agency does add an extra wrinkle.

I do, however, appreciate Swisher so perfectly fitting his reputation by including “bro” in his quote.

1. willclarkgameface - Oct 15, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I’m sensitive about him being sensitive and I’m especially sensitive about Swisher being a douche.

• philsieg - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Aw, don’t be so hard on Nicky. He’s my all-time favorite player who was a hobbit in a previous life.

• pinkfloydprism - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I am sending him a free box of kleenex. Sounds like he could use it!

• pisano - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:30 PM

willclark…. don’t worry, he’ll be with another team next season.

2. cdeangelus - Oct 15, 2012 at 10:57 AM

It’s simple. The Yankees are being booed horribly because they’ve been playing horribly. For 6 playoff games now the Yankees have simply refused to hit. And it’s not just bad breaks. Some of these guys look downright terrible at the plate.

Sorry Nick, but spending 3-4 hours in angst watching you guys flail at meatballs “hurts.”

• bblair917 - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I agree completely. You’re getting booed because you refuse to change you approach – ever. Stop trying to hit 3-run HR’s with nobody on in the 4th. Try moving guys over with a ground ball or a sac fly. The ABs as a whole are just terrible, quick innings, not many walks, low pitch counts for Detroit starters. You’d hope that getting shutout in the CS would be rock bottom, but I think they’ll find a way to go even lower.

• megl3155 - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM

That is (one of) Leyland’s philosophies: get ‘em on, get ‘em over, get ‘em in. The Yankers haven’t done that. It’s not brain surgery.

• pisano - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I’ve said it all year, this Yankee team is one strikeout after another, especially with runners in scoring position.

3. chill1184 - Oct 15, 2012 at 10:58 AM

(plays worlds smallest violin)

4. stex52 - Oct 15, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I’m not much of a fan of booing, but it is definitely a historical part of the game. Possible acceptable applications:

1. Dirty or bush league play.
    2. Umpire calls so bad you don’t even need a camera (Only boos, never throwing things).
    3. Your own players dogging. (Ever have Jeff Kent on your team?)

I don’t care much for booing a guy in a slump. He knows he is stinking it up. You aren’t helping. Nor booing a player for the other team (except in case 1).

Now everyone can tell me the 1000 reasons where I’m wrong. But I think that yesterday the silence in the stadium spoke such volumes that boos weren’t needed.

• heyblueyoustink - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM

“(Only boos, never throwing things)”

So I should leave the batteries at home next time?

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Right next to the beer bottle please…

• indaburg - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I’m with you, Stex. I’m a fan of positive reinforcement and I never boo my own team. Bad calls by umps, yes. A.J. Pierzynski, yes (you can file that under #1 on your list).

That said, if I were Swisher, I wouldn’t have said what he said to the press. Tell your wife or your dog, not the media.

• stex52 - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:52 AM

You’re right. He’ll be like an isolated herbivore now. He’s shown weakness; the predators are circling.

A.J. is a given. Everyone with a shred of decency hates him.

But I went to a Yankees game at Minute Maid a few years back. Jeter came up and they booed; I guess they thought we were in Boston or something. I told my friend, “I’m not booing a future Hall of Famer in the only game I may ever see him in.” That day I learned that Houston fans haven’t quite got the hang of being great fans yet.

• indaburg - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:22 PM

If this game goes back to the Bronx, Swisher will hear boos like no man has ever heard.

Booing Jeter? Well, it’s Texas. They have a lot to learn about baseball. That reminds me of aTop Ten List that Jeter read on Letterman once. I forget which number it was but he said something like, “It really hurts my feelings when Red Sox fans yell Yankees suck.”

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:29 PM

That depends, if Swisher breaks out and the Yankee’s sweep at Detroit it will be a much more festive mood at Yankee Stadium.

• indaburg - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:34 PM

True, but if the Yanks manage to win the next two without much contribution from Nick, his first at bat might be a little bit more boisterous than usual.

• historiophiliac - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I like Pierzynski. I guess I’m alone in that. Ok then.

• indaburg - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I think Ozzie Guillen summed up A.J. perfectly: “If you play against him, you hate him. If you play with him, you hate him a little less.”

• stex52 - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I have a poster from an Old Threepenny Opera performance in my office. The theme is an absolutely blood-chilling visual rendition of Mac the Knife (look it up if you have to). I’d take Mac in a dark alley over AJ.

• historiophiliac - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I like it when he’s the guest commentator…in his dad’s suit.

5. greymares - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:06 AM

just think what it would sound like if that bull$hit fan base would sell out the playoff games

• daisycutter1 - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Mad old man is mad.

• 18thstreet - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:20 PM

The old Grey Mares just ain’t what he used to be.

6. daisycutter1 - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I haven’t had the chance to see the response (media, fans, etc) to these comments yet, but it’s a safe bet that these comments aren’t going down well.

There’s a Nike poster from the 2008 All-Star game at Yankee Stadium featuring Posada, the stadium and a victory parade shot that says “Win and we love you.” (I know, because I have it on my wall.) That also means “lose and we’ll boo you”. Whether that’s good or bad, that’s the way it is, and “sensitive” or not, Swisher has to understand that by now.

BTW, I’ll give A-Rod some credit here…I don’t recall him ever whining to the media about the fans booing him. And they’ve booed him during the regular season when he was both hitting and fielding pretty well.

7. craggt - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Blaming him for the Jeter injury is stupid. Are the fans going to blame Ichiro and Ibanez for the injury too?Had they not hit home runs Jeter would still be standing.

At the same time though Swisher needs to stop whining. Hey Nick do you know what would get them to stop booing you? Scoring runs.

8. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Nick hasn’t hit, hasn’t been getting on base, and botched fly balls on back-to-back nights which both led to tie-breaking runs scoring. Not for nothing Nick, but if he hadn’t had so much good will built up over the years he would be getting worse than the ARod treatment right now. Give the fans a little something to cheer about and they will drown out the odd heckler or two.

9. Detroit Michael - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM

One of the television announcers (Ron Darling?) said during Game 1 that the Yankees might be setting a record for most home crowd boos for a team still playing in October. I’m not saying that fans aren’t allowed to boo and jeer up to a point, but the degree of booing at Yankee games does seem different thsn most other places.

• rich7041 - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Part of the reason is that it’s not just one or two players sucking. It’s half the frikkin’ lineup!

10. localseoraleigh - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:26 AM

The fact is all those fans are just like this fan. A die hard Yankee fan who is used to players who excel in the playoffs not bomb in the playoffs when the pressure is on. These prima donnas can’t handle the pressure. Is it managing? Is it just players who choke? I don’t know but i do know this happens with this group every fall. Swisher under .170, AROD ridiculous and has been every single playoff series except one year. Cano has done nothing every year come playoff time, Granderson is worthless when the money is on the line. These bums are not Yankees, there is no pride with them. Just losers, expecting it to just happen.

11. mazblast - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Go write poetry that no one will ever read if you’re so darned sensitive. See how many millions you get paid for the latter.

Failing that, try getting a few hits and fielding your position like you’re supposed to do. It’s your JOB. If you fail in your job, the customers (fans) have every right to express their opinion. You didn’t seem to reject their cheering for you during the good times, now take their response to the team offensive outage (Ibanez aside) like a man.

Contrary to what you seem to think, wearing the pinstripes is not an automatic immunity from booing and criticism.

12. ermur22 - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I hope this wipes off his shit-eating grin he always has on his face

13. jerseybando - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Boos and empty seats at The Stadium? Empty seats (some things never change) and beer bottles in Altanta? Somehow Phillies fans don’t seem so bad.

• chill1184 - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Vomiting on someone still trumps standard booing and is only a hair below chucking garbage onto the field

14. psuravens19 - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I’m not sure who’s smile/grin I hate more, Hines Ward or Nick Swisher? All I know is Swisher won’t be smiling much next year in an Astro’s uniform.

15. schlom - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I heard he looked like this in the field last night:

16. southpaw2k - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Would you like some cheese to go with your whine, Nick?

17. willybg - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Nick could have finally made it on base last night but he gave up instead of running full out to 1st while the ball was thrown late. He decided he was out before the call was made and just gave up. He needs to give 100% but only seems to be in the game about 50% of the time.
    Never Give Up!

18. doubleogator - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I like to know why nobody is talking about Cano….he’s now 0 for 26 and just set a record for futility at the plate in playoffs…

19. samurai3939 - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I’d like to know that if the Yankees fan base is so lame, attendance at their road game always goes up? 27.

• mazblast - Oct 15, 2012 at 4:06 PM

“27”–Yankee fan version of Godwin’s Law. As if I’m impressed with World Series wins that predate my existence.

Try the numbers “1” and “2”. The former is how many your team has won this century (as have several other teams), the latter how many the Red Sox and Cards have won in the same timeframe. For the money your team has spent and the amount of bragging and posturing Yankee fans do, your team’s number should be a lot higher.

20. bigyankeemike - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:35 PM

By making these comments now, Swisher must know two things:

1. The Yankees aren’t winning this series and it will end in Detroit, and
    2. He’s not re-signing with the them.

For only an idiot would say these things mid-series. So for now, he’s just a coward.

21. drewsylvania - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Some of you are the worst kind of entitled what-have-you-done-for-me-lately stereotypical Yankee punchlines.

And as far as Kevin Long goes, please note that the team’s oWAR is almost FOUR WINS higher this season than last season. With almost exactly the same personnel.

• mazblast - Oct 15, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Nevertheless, Long is a prime candidate for firing if the Yankees don’t find a way out of this deficit. I don’t think he will deserve it, but those deserving are often those with the most clout and/or firends in the front office.

22. bruinsfan57 - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Oh Boo Effin Hoo Mr. Sensitivity…it’s cool when you make a decent play on someone and show boat after the fact, but please don’t boo me cause I’m stinking up the place right now, I’m so sensitive…….A BIG F YOU SWISHER!!!!!

23. openseason51 - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Really? You’ve got to be kidding? There is no crying in baseball Swish. Especially in NYC. Bronks Bombers didn’t get their name for being nice!

24. knoitawl - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:21 PM

If these guys can’t pik up their Captain, stick a fork in em they’re done.

25. psousa1 - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:43 PM

One thing Swisher doesn’t realize: If NY didn’t sign him off the scrap heap 4 years ago he would be in AAA or out of baseball. He is the product of 300 foot fence and having great hitters around him that he sees pitches to hit. He is the worst everyday RF in MLB and he plays in the easiest RF in MLB

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS