People want to imagine David Ortiz going to Texas

Oct 15, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT

David Ortiz AP

This is all in the realm of sportswriter speculation, not news or rumors, but twice in the last week I’ve seen people wondering if David Ortiz might join the Rangers if he can’t get a deal done in Boston.  First was Nick Cafardo, who considered a bunch of landing spots:

David Ortiz, DH, Red Sox — Word is, he might accept a two-year deal for $26 million-$28 million if offered. The sides are talking and hope to have a deal before free agency. But if the Sox can’t go two years, Ortiz may very well roll the dice and see if the Orioles, Yankees, Blue Jays, or Rangers bite.

Today the Dallas Morning News talks about it:

On the outside, Ortiz could make sense. He, like Hamilton, is a left-handed power hitter that can slot into the No. 3 or 4 spots in a batting order on virtually any day. He might not be quite the hitter he was when he was mashing behind Manny Ramirez in the mid-2000s, but Ortiz is still among the most feared sluggers in baseball, hitting .318/.415/.611 with 23 homers and 65 RBI despite missing nearly half the season with a strained Achilles.

It’s all just time-killer talk right now. And I sort of doubt that Ortiz leaves Boston because it’s the one place where, however much back and forth happens during the season, he knows he can be comfortable.

1. Carter Dotson - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I think it’d work beautifully. The Rangers sign Ortiz, then you know what Boston would need? A designated hitter. Michael Young can hit! In which I mean that he can swing the bat and hit the ball at a rate greater than most people on earth can. Plus, he provides Leadership. I think a trade could be worked out. Leadership!

• number42is1 - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I’m sorry. did you just say that Michael “i’m going to cry until i get my way” Young can provide leadership?

• jbartlett79 - Oct 15, 2012 at 4:14 PM

He’s being sarcastic — I could tell when I got to the part where it says Michael Young can hit. Actually, that’s the direct quote: “Michael Young can hit!”

• number42is1 - Oct 15, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Did i really miss a sarcastic comment? im usually pretty good at those.

• miketreedy - Oct 15, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Switching Young and Ortiz really would make a lot of sense. Young has extra value because he can play all infield position (except catcher) and the Sox have lots of holes. The Rangers will need more offense production from the DH position if Hamilton leaves.

The problems I see is that Young is owed $16m this year which i doubt the Sox would want to pay but at least they do have the cash now. Also, the Rangers like to be flexible with the DH position especially if they keep Napoli. Ortiz can’t play another position so that could be a problem.

2. 13arod - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:43 PM

yankeeys could use him

• number42is1 - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM

right now the yanks can use you,, and i dont even know you.

• larrytsg - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Heck, the Yanks could use my grandmother. She lived in the Bronx, but she’s been dead for 25 years.

• mazblast - Oct 15, 2012 at 4:51 PM

larrytsg,

I was going to say the same thing, almost word for word. My grandmother has been gone for 28 years (Grandpa had a store near Loew’s Paradise (?) from the 1930s to the 1950s). She never quite got the handle on baseball; one of my favorite memories was my mother repeatedly trying to explain it to her in their native German.

3. cur68 - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Trade ‘em, straight up. 1:1, Ortiz for Young. Young can go somewhere the fans will eat him alive for being whiny, a poor defender, and lukewarm with the bat. Ortiz can go somewhere no one, including himself, expects defence from him, he’s happy to mash, and the press and team aren’t constantly at odds. Young will play for a manager (whomever that might be) terrified that his every move will be dissected like frogs by 7th graders and Ortiz can hang with a guy with more loyalty than is good for him. Oritz will fill the role that Hamilton had (‘cuase Hammy’s GONE, in all likelihood): oft injured slugger with tats (minus the off field God-Drama). Young can see what’s its like to REALLY play for a team that victimizes him. It would be perfect. And we’d get more Michael Young crying. I think Craig loves Michael Young crying. His tears are like food for The Olde Earth Trampler.

• geoknows - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Um, Ortiz is a free agent. Last I looked, free agents don’t get traded.

• cur68 - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:20 PM

My bad. Pity. Would have filled the off season with “greatest trade EVER” comments.

• blacksables - Oct 15, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Even more than the Rogers Hornsby for Frankie Frisch trade?

4. beefytrout - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM

“But how fun (and by fun I mean chaotic) would it be if the Rangers signed Ortiz, leading to a giant “where does Michael Young play?” crisis?”

Let me guess… the whole point of this article was so this line could be shoehorned in. There is already a “What do we do with Michael Young?” problem in Texas, with or without Ortiz.

5. edelmanfanclub - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Cleveland or Boston for Papi is my guess.

• mathieug79 - Oct 15, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Im guessing Redsox or BlueJays. Bautista/Encarnacion are friends with Ortiz. And if Toronto wants to play EE at 1B why not sign Ortiz at DH. They will address their starting rotation (Wouldn’t be surprised to see Marcum back in Jays uniform, Even a big signing like Zack Greinke) would appeal Ortiz to Toronto. With the way they’ve been treating you (contract talks) in Boston, why not take revenge on them ;) mouhahahahahaha

6. ezthinking - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Well Young hit .301/.354/.447 in September when the Rangers needed it and filled in at 2B, 1B and 3B.

Ortiz is just a DH and played one game after July 24. He’s a problem only the Red Sox can love now. Otherwise, he has a Jim Thome future ahead of him.

7. mazblast - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:42 PM

He’ll re-up with the Red Sox. The rest is just Hot Stove League chatter, especially any talk of him going to the Yankees. With all the Geritol Generation guys they already have who need to DH in order to get their rest, the last thing they need is a full-time DH.

• number42is1 - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:47 PM

But if he does go to the Yanks then they will show that Avis commercial over and over and over

8. richwizl - Oct 15, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I love Big Papi and hope he gets what he wants, even if it means leaving Boston; in fact, a change would probably keep him invigorated. He was in great shape this season and should still be the best DH in the AL for another couple years. I would hate to see the Yankees get him, though.

• mazblast - Oct 15, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Papi has always been in shape. Round is a shape.

9. historiophiliac - Oct 15, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I can’t believe no one made the obvious comment about Ortiz going to Texas and Hamy Chews going to Boston.

10. ericellers - Oct 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM

How do trade a free agent??

11. willclarkgameface - Oct 16, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Please, for the love of God, let the Texas Rangers take Big Papi. Let him play 75 games next year as a 42 year old DH. That’s right: you know he’s not the age he claims to be.

The Red Sox will probably sign him because they are the only franchise stupid enough to do so AND they want the Pink Hats to keep coming back and cheering for at least one familiar face during the cringe-worthy 8th inning Sweet Caroline stretch.

It’s all about the circus and pink hats for Larry. That team is going to suck for years to come.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS