Oct 15, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
This is all in the realm of sportswriter speculation, not news or rumors, but twice in the last week I’ve seen people wondering if David Ortiz might join the Rangers if he can’t get a deal done in Boston. First was Nick Cafardo, who considered a bunch of landing spots:
David Ortiz, DH, Red Sox — Word is, he might accept a two-year deal for $26 million-$28 million if offered. The sides are talking and hope to have a deal before free agency. But if the Sox can’t go two years, Ortiz may very well roll the dice and see if the Orioles, Yankees, Blue Jays, or Rangers bite.
On the outside, Ortiz could make sense. He, like Hamilton, is a left-handed power hitter that can slot into the No. 3 or 4 spots in a batting order on virtually any day. He might not be quite the hitter he was when he was mashing behind Manny Ramirez in the mid-2000s, but Ortiz is still among the most feared sluggers in baseball, hitting .318/.415/.611 with 23 homers and 65 RBI despite missing nearly half the season with a strained Achilles.
It’s all just time-killer talk right now. And I sort of doubt that Ortiz leaves Boston because it’s the one place where, however much back and forth happens during the season, he knows he can be comfortable.
But how fun (and by fun I mean chaotic) would it be if the Rangers signed Ortiz, leading to a giant “where does Michael Young play?” crisis?
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 20
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 15
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 34
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)