Oct 15, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
This is all in the realm of sportswriter speculation, not news or rumors, but twice in the last week I’ve seen people wondering if David Ortiz might join the Rangers if he can’t get a deal done in Boston. First was Nick Cafardo, who considered a bunch of landing spots:
David Ortiz, DH, Red Sox — Word is, he might accept a two-year deal for $26 million-$28 million if offered. The sides are talking and hope to have a deal before free agency. But if the Sox can’t go two years, Ortiz may very well roll the dice and see if the Orioles, Yankees, Blue Jays, or Rangers bite.
On the outside, Ortiz could make sense. He, like Hamilton, is a left-handed power hitter that can slot into the No. 3 or 4 spots in a batting order on virtually any day. He might not be quite the hitter he was when he was mashing behind Manny Ramirez in the mid-2000s, but Ortiz is still among the most feared sluggers in baseball, hitting .318/.415/.611 with 23 homers and 65 RBI despite missing nearly half the season with a strained Achilles.
It’s all just time-killer talk right now. And I sort of doubt that Ortiz leaves Boston because it’s the one place where, however much back and forth happens during the season, he knows he can be comfortable.
But how fun (and by fun I mean chaotic) would it be if the Rangers signed Ortiz, leading to a giant “where does Michael Young play?” crisis?
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 44
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)