Oct 15, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
This is all in the realm of sportswriter speculation, not news or rumors, but twice in the last week I’ve seen people wondering if David Ortiz might join the Rangers if he can’t get a deal done in Boston. First was Nick Cafardo, who considered a bunch of landing spots:
David Ortiz, DH, Red Sox — Word is, he might accept a two-year deal for $26 million-$28 million if offered. The sides are talking and hope to have a deal before free agency. But if the Sox can’t go two years, Ortiz may very well roll the dice and see if the Orioles, Yankees, Blue Jays, or Rangers bite.
On the outside, Ortiz could make sense. He, like Hamilton, is a left-handed power hitter that can slot into the No. 3 or 4 spots in a batting order on virtually any day. He might not be quite the hitter he was when he was mashing behind Manny Ramirez in the mid-2000s, but Ortiz is still among the most feared sluggers in baseball, hitting .318/.415/.611 with 23 homers and 65 RBI despite missing nearly half the season with a strained Achilles.
It’s all just time-killer talk right now. And I sort of doubt that Ortiz leaves Boston because it’s the one place where, however much back and forth happens during the season, he knows he can be comfortable.
But how fun (and by fun I mean chaotic) would it be if the Rangers signed Ortiz, leading to a giant “where does Michael Young play?” crisis?
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)