Pretty much everyone hates the Cardinals, right?

Oct 15, 2012, 11:00 AM EST

St. Louis Cardinals slap hands after defeating the San Francisco Giants duringtheir MLB NLCS playoff baseball series in San Francisco

Will Leitch is probably the most notable Cardinals fan in the little corner of the Internet a lot of us call home. And something dawned on him over the weekend:

I have spent so much time watching the Cardinals, reveling in their victories and agonizing in their defeats, that I had forgotten that the rest of the world was watching them, too … And the rest of the world, to my astoundment, hates the Cardinals. The rest of the world was cheering for the young, likable, fiery Washington Nationals, with their superstar youngsters and their facial hair and their natty natitude. The Cardinals weren’t the heroes to them; they were the brutish villains, the Cobra Kai, the Empire, stomping on the dreams of the upstart rebellion.

“Hates” is probably too strong a word. I don’t think people truly hate them. If anything, they have become incrementally more likable now that Tony La Russa is gone and don’t have many personalities — apart from maybe Chris Carpenter — who tend to draw the ire of fans in any notable way.

But people are certainly tired of them. Tired of them in much the same way people are tied of the Yankees. If you’re not a fan of either of those teams you almost always want to see them lose. Not because there’s anything wrong with them in and of themselves, but simply because we’re tired of the stories about them told during the postseason. Tired of the late comebacks which, no matter how exciting they are in any given moment, have some dispiriting element to them for anyone who doesn’t cheer those teams on.

It’s probably because the Cardinals and the Yankees are the ultimate overdogs.  They have attained that status for very different reasons, of course. They have different financial structures and fan bases and press coverage and general attitude surrounding them. But they are both considered the gold standard of their respective leagues for whatever reason and they both can never, ever be counted out.

Folks don’t like that much. If their own team can’t be in it, they prefer that just about any other team move on before the Cardinals and the Yankees do.  They either want to root for underdogs or, if there are no underdogs around — remember, the Nationals won way more games than the Cards did — they at least want the new stories and faces on their TV screens in October.

All of which makes this postseason rather dreary.  We were a couple of random bounces, key hits and close calls away from the A’s, Orioles, Nationals and Reds playing in the ALCS and NLCS. That may have been ratings poison for Fox and TBS, but it would have been refreshing for people who were watching.  Now we have those two always-theres in the Yankees and the Cardinals.

And really, the other guys aren’t a ton better.  The Giants don’t have that same feeling as the Cardinals, but they did just win it all in 2010. Saving them, I reckon, is the fact that Brian Wilson can’t pitch this year, which goes a long way to combat the annoying familiarity.  The Tigers are no Yankees and are not even as ubiquitous and tired a story as the Rangers have been, but they do have the Cabrera-Verlander duo which have consumed an awful lot of media oxygen when it comes to MVP arguments and such in the past two years.

So, nope, we really don’t have any fresh faces or exciting new stories this postseason.  Those of us who aren’t Yankees and Cardinals fans are probably settling on rooting for the Tigers and Giants, but it’s not that satisfying.  I suppose the best we can root for is high-quality baseball over the next two weeks and change. Which, given how sloppy and ugly so much of this postseason has been, would be a refreshing storyline of its own.

Sigh.

141 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. royalsfaninfargo - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:07 AM

They would be harder to hate if Fox didnt have to homers calling the playoff games. Buck and McCarver are so biased toward St. Louis you almost have to cheer against them.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Biased? I find it just the opposite. McCarver is all Yankees (as evidenced by another readers post on a previous thread). Are you being absolutely honest Fargo? Or is it your Royals affiliation talking?
      Qualification: If it’s the Royals thing it’s totally understandable.

• 18thstreet - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:42 PM

There’s a lot to hate about Buck and McCarver. Everyone thinks the two of them are biased against their favorite team. I think they’re awful, but not biased for or against teams. Buck is too dull to be biased.

Overall, I’d say they have a biased toward experience, which is a common malady among announcers. This would make it seem that they favor the Cardinals and Yankees — but not because they’re biased. It’s because they would take a 36-year old over a 24-year old any day.

• hustleandflomax - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:01 PM

That’s weird. As a Cardinal fan, it seems to me that Buck and McCarver go out of their way to NOT appear as homers. I don’t care, honestly, because I would rather have a root canal than to listen to both of them call a game anyways–just had to disagree with the notion that these 2 clowns are HOMERS. And you are a Royals fan, so you’re not exactly a beacon of objectivity.

As for the ‘Best Fans in Baseball’ nonsense, I’m pretty sure that the fan-base themselves didn’t give themselves that title. That crap all came from players, analysts, announcers, etc…it’s an alienating statement and I have always hated it, because it clearly breeds unnecessary contempt towards our team.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I couldnt agree more Flow. The only people I ever hear say any of that best fans nonsense is announcers and players. I vividly remember McGwire telling Edmonds this way back when Edmonds first signed. McGwire told him to go ahead and get a long term deal done now as he guaranteed it was a forgone conclusion. Prior to this…I remember it as a kid in the mid to late 80’s.
        Regardless…it’s alienating (as you state). Cardinals fans don’t ask for that bullshit for this very reason.

• schmedley69 - Oct 15, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Everyone thinks that Joe Buck is biased against their team, and he denies it, but if you compare the passion in his call when the Cardinals won it last year to the some of his monotone calls of the past world series winners (the 2008 Phillies for example), you can see why people think he’s biased.

2. royalsfaninfargo - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:08 AM

They would be harder to hate if Fox didnt have two homers calling the playoff games. Buck and McCarver are so biased toward St. Louis you almost have to cheer against them.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:08 PM

The lack of love for this version of the Cardinals might have something to do with TLR. Perhaps, he was so warm, cuddly, and loveable that everyone wants to see his successor fail

• pdowdy83 - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I love how this comment double posted. The first time it got 31 thumbs up. The second got 25 thumbs down as of my post. If this isn’t evidence of how stupid the thumbs up and thumbs down thing is I don’t know what is.

• kopy - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:25 PM

People really hate double posts.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 15, 2012 at 4:42 PM

The first time I tried to post it, WordPress claimed that I was not logged in even though I was. I then tried again and surprisingly, I somehow managed to double post.

3. stex52 - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Man, what existential angst! Lighten up, man. Go read a Sartre novel or see a Lars von Trier movie or listen to Pearl Jam. It’s baseball! Admire the success stories. No one has failed, those guys have excelled. If we want new stories, the other teams need to rise to the challenge.

This is an Astros fan talking.

• Jacob - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:21 AM

To be fair, fans can’t choose what teams play well and don’t play well. So saying that those teams just “have to play better” really doesn’t do a whole lot for fans looking for a new team to freshen up the story lines.

I really like the Yankees and love the Giants, so I’m not overly dissatisfied (except for the whole, you know, both teams look terrible right now) but I understand people who are tired of seeing the same teams battle it out in the postseason year in and year out.

4. stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Good article Craig. I totally appreciate people being tired of seeing the Cardinals in the postseason.
    Hell…if I were a Redlegs fan, a Cubs fan, Brewers fan, etc…I would dislike them as well.
    Aside from this…
    I do find it somewhat suprising more people don’t seem to appreciate the relentless…all 27 outs baseball they play. It might sound cliche. But they very much play all 27 outs.
    That is something to behold and strive for on a daily basis.
    It’s something you hold up and/or point to when instructing your little leaguers, your High School team, your Minor Leaguers, etc… It’s balls out baseball.

Signed,
    Incredibly Biased Lifelong Cardinals Fan Who Was Brainwashed At The Age Of Ten

• stex52 - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Also easier for me because I like the Cards. And I have occasionally rooted against teams just because I was tired of them. But nothing succeeds like success and the Cards are a first class organization.

• natstowngreg - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:38 PM

The easiest thing for this Nats fan right now would be to hate the Cards. I don’t.

Signed,
      Incredibly Biased Nats Fan Who Was Brainwashed At The Age Of Fifty-Three

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Wonderful post Greg. For what it’s worth…I appreciate your support of your team.
        I especially dug the sign you took with you to the game.
        If memory serves…that was you with the sign. Correct?

• natstowngreg - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Thanks. I’ve appreciated the Cards as a team for a long time. Going back to the early ’60s, when I began following baseball seriously. And the Cards were, along with the Orioles and Dodgers, one of the best organizations. In coping with the crushing disappointment, it helps to know that the Nats had a good season, and the potential for good seasons to come. Despite the haters and the glass half-empty types.

Sign? That was just cur asking me if I brought that “Go Nats” sign behind the Nats’ dugout. ‘Fraid not; I was sitting in the club level, above the dugout.

5. amhendrick - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:24 AM

My hate for the Cardinals is quite different than my hate for the Yankees. I hate the Yankees on general principles. I hate the Cardinals because they have lately had more than their fair share of postseason luck and are on course for a 3rd WS title in 7 years despite having no better than 90 wins in those three years, which reminds me that I hate the current playoff system for devaluing the regular season.

• hustleandflomax - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Yeah, it’s a shame that when they DID have the best record in baseball back in ’04 with 105 wins, they got stomped by the Boston Red Sox. Not that the Sox were slouches, mind you. But it just goes to show, that win totals mean jack squat. And I wouldn’t be bitter if it was the Astros (Wild Card) that knocked us off, either. THIS guy thinks that the Wild Card(s) makes things much more interesting. And to me, interesting is good.

6. heyblueyoustink - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I don’t hate the Cards, or the city of St. Louis for that matter. It’s just, that damn arch, it’s so annoying, initially it looks like half of a McDonalds sign only to find out it’s one, big, arch.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:49 AM

You have some soul scearching to do Blue.
      I am thinking it isn’t so much your hatred of the Arch as it is your absolute love fest for McDonalds.
      Come on…amirite?

• heyblueyoustink - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I’ll have to consult with my therapist on this, we have alot to go over.

7. brazcubas - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Can’t say I hate them, but I’ve been rooting against them since the ’87 World Series (Go Twins) and I’m not about to start rooting for that angry little red bird now. Unless they meet the Yankees in the World Series, then I may have some soul-searching to do.

8. mrwillie - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Pretty much sums it up. Matter of fact, as painful as it would be, if** it were to be a Cards/ Yanks series I might actually have to pull for the Yanks this year.

And this is coming from an NL guy.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Say it aint’s so Willy. I mean…as an NL guy there is only one hard and fast rule.
      You can NOT root for the AL under any circumstances. It’s blasphemy!

• mrwillie - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I know. It’s wrong on every level, but I am a bitter Braves fan who is tired of seeing them win at our expense (and no, not the infield fly either).

I usually have no problem with the Cards, but this year I am taking my ball and going home- Just can’t do it this year.

• mrwillie - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I did preface it with might though…. I probably won’t be able to go though with it when I see those pinstripes.

9. prosourcetalk - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I thought everyone was rooting against the Nationals because of the Strasburg shutdown & Mike Rizzo’s arrogance?

10. pinkfloydprism - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I love the Cardinals! I will forever be a fan because they did not show up to the World Series in 2004. So, thank you St. Louis!

Besides that, when I visited that stadium in 99, the fans were pretty awesome! Very friendly, and welcoming. I appreciated that.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:32 PM

You might be okay after all Floyd.

• pinkfloydprism - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I am just ultra sarcastic… which is quite easy to condense online, and it annoys the hell out of people. It is a fatal flaw… I know it.

11. mazblast - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I don’t hate the Cardinals, even though I’m not a Cardinals fan. In fact, I get a certain kick out of listening to the raw, unbridled jealousy of Reds fans here and their irrational “reasoning” for why the Cardinals keep succeeding in the post-season. You’d think the Cardinals spent money like the Yankees according to Redsthink.

I agree about Buck and McCarver, though. They are annoying no matter who they cover, but more so when it’s the Cards. I find watching the games much more enjoyable with the sound off.

• winkeroni - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:31 PM

The best way to fix the commentary, if not wanting to hear it, is to purchase home theater equipment. When listening to a game in surround sound the commentary is the background noise to the actual sounds of the game.

12. forsch31 - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:38 AM

….”It’s probably because the Cardinals and the Yankees are the ultimate overdogs…..But they are both considered the gold standard of their respective leagues for whatever reason and they both can never, ever be counted out.”

Kinda funny how an 88-win team is considered an ultimate overdog..

I think the real reason for fanbases hating on the Cardinals right now is that they’re the underdog that keeps breaking other teams’ hopes. For two years now, St. Louis has been the wild card team that (a) shocked the best team in baseball twice in the division series, first with a pitcher’s duel against the Phillies and then with a chip away comeback climaxing with a 9th inning two-out closer meltdown; (b) managed to end the Braves’ season early twice by catching them on the last day in 2011 after a month-long chase, then beating them in the newly minted wild card play-in game, both of which were helped along by Atlanta’s frustrating play; (c) beat the Brewers and Rangers after they had among the best seasons of their franchise histories.

Playing the spoiler has a shelf date. Last year, it was fun watching the Cardinals’ improbable run. This year, it’s become tiresome for many fans. It’s hard to root for a team that, in the eyes of many, shouldn’t even be in the playoffs in the first place. For two years running, St. Louis has not won their division, but they’ve managed to win a World Series and now have put themselves back into the National League championship series. Now, it’s “won’t somebody beat these guys?” The Orioles were also the 2nd Wild Card, but it’s still fun for them.

I’ve been a Cardinal fan for 30 plus years, and while I won’t deny that I’d like to see St. Louis win it all again when few thought they could, I also admit that an Orioles-Nationals series would have been Most Awesome.

• forsch31 - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Okay…Baltimore was the first Wild Card. So I blanked on that.

• pw38 - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I thought Texas secured their playoff spot before Baltimore did? They had the better head to head record and the game was played in Texas. Maybe I’m wrong.

• forsch31 - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:08 PM

@pw–I was going by ESPN’s Wild Card standings. They probably just listed them alphabetically.

So maybe I was right, thinking I was wrong. Normal.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Well here’s a novel idea. Let’s cut out these wildcards, only the three divisional teams get to the post-season. Best League record automatically goes to that league’s LCS (Restores much needed significance to playing those 162 games that has been watered down and neutered), other two division leaders fight it out in the Division series (Now it would finally have a name worthy of the word Division). Make that series best of 7. This should almost ensure no sub-90 win teams make into the playoffs. In fact I would go further in that if one divisional leader can’t be bothered to win 90 games, that team automatically loses the LDS and the other two teams go directly to the LCS. I can’t picture two division leaders NOT winning at least 90 games, but in that case remaining big league team goes to WS directly. It should not be possible to have three division leaders with lest than 90 wins. In that case cancel the WS, now something go find out what they put in my water.

• philsieg - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Good start, FC, but I’d take it a bit further. Add 2 teams and divide each league into four divisions. Only divisions winners go to the post season. Level the schedule so that each team plays 10 games against its non-division foes and 14 against the teams in its division. Hell, you could go farther and have each team play 11 games against the 12 teams in the other divisions and only 10 against the 3 in the same division. There’s nothing sacred about playing more games intradivision. NO interleague games at all.

This way victories would more closely correlate with excellence over the long season and the four division winners could be seeded accordingly. Three rounds of playoffs including the series; all 7 games. No second place teams in the postseason. No gimmicky one-game play-ins.

This, of course, will never happen. Merchandising rights to all those “Wild Card Champion” (We’re No 2! We’re No 2!) t-shirts pretty much insure that.

13. sdelmonte - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:44 AM

You know, when the Giants and Patriots played each other last year for the second time in five years, no one was calling that dispiriting. When the Lakers and Celtics met for the 900th time in the finals, no one was complaining. I think that there is a lot to be said for teams maintaining a degree of excellence, even if at the same time we get a bit tired of the same teams being there every year. Dynasties are so rare that maybe we should appreciate them. Even if we loathe the teams that generate them.

And while I root against the Yanks, I like the idea of a Yanks-Cards World Series. Of the two best franchises squaring off. Is it nice to see new faces. Yeah. But at the end of the day, it’s about who is best team and not the best rooting interest.

(Will add that as a Mets fan I should hate the Cards, but my wife’s family comes from in St. Louis and her grandfather was a huge Cardinals fan who, to my mind, sounded exactly like Jack Buck. He was a sweet old man and when the Cards win, I think of him.)

• southpaw2k - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Full disclosure: I am a Ravens fan (and Orioles fan too, of course), so I had a big horse in the Championship Weekend race.

When the Giants and Patriots faced off in the Super Bowl after the 2007 season, the major storyline was obviously the Patriots’ quest for 19-0. That’s the kind of storyline that any casual sports fan can be interested in. When they faced off again this past February, there was no such storyline of interest, and since my team lost the AFC Championship game in rather stunning fashion, I was rooting much harder for a meteor to strike the Earth in Lucas Oil Stadium and wipe out both teams and all their obnoxious fans. So yeah, my own bias as a fan led to my dispirit, but I think it’s fair to say Super Bowl 46 was a lackluster game since the two teams who lost on Championship Weekend would have made for a far more compelling game than those who had won.

I have confess that I don’t know of any hatred towards the Cardinals outside of cities like Chicago, Houston, and Milwaukee, but that’s probably my own naivete. And since I’m an Orioles fan, I think it’s pretty obvious that I don’t want to see the Yankees make the World Series this year. I also know that a Yankees/Cardinals matchup would probably bring the biggest TV audience, but I’m still rooting for a Detroit/San Francisco matchup since the pitching on both sides should be excellent.

• wretchu - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I dunno about that. If you’re looking for pitching you maaaay want to realign your allegience with St. Louis afterall. I fully admit my bias, but I’ll take a rotation of Carpenter, Lohse, Wainwright and Lynn (plus all of the fireballers coming out of the pen) over Cain, Vogelsong, Bumgarner and Zito/Lincecum. At worst it’s probably a draw in terms of ability, and with how most of those Giants pitchers have struggled it’s probably an edge towards the Cardinals. I mean really, how can a legitimate rotation be playing in its sixth playoff game and still not having a starter go 6 innings?

14. nelsonsaint - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:45 AM

i love baseball.

i hate will leitch.

go giants.

15. DelawarePhilliesFan - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM

It’s all relative I guess. I should have solid anti-Cardinal feelings after last year…..but I wanted to see the Nats go down. And in this round, well each team knocked the Phillies out the past two years, so who cares. And should the Cardinals face the Yankees – well no one cheers for the Yankees. So oddly I don’t find myself with any animosity to them

16. deathmonkey41 - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Well, I’m a Yankees fan, but if they’re out of it, I will root for the Cardinals. I’m also a Rams fan, so I spend a lot of time on St. Louis sports forums- which as you might guess- includes a lot of Cardinals talk. I don’t find anything dislikeable about them.

17. maynardstool - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:49 AM

People hate the Yankees because they try to buy titles. People hate the Cardinals because it doesn’t matter how many wins your team has in the regular season. When the stakes are the highest and the lights are the brightest, they’re just better than you.

• pw38 - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Well part of it is peope hate the Yankees fans more than the team. It’s the sense of entitlement they seem to express that irks people so much. They’re like Cowboy fans but their team has actually done something in the past 17 years (so I guess that makes Cowboy fans worse).

• gostlcards5 - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM

That’s the thing I don’t get. With the Yankees, people say they buy titles, or their fans are “entitled”, but I don’t find most Cards fans to be that way (again, understanding that there are knuckleheads in every fanbase that ruin it for people).

• sdelmonte - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:23 PM

As a fan of a football team that twice won the Super Bowl after just sneaking into the playoffs with barely adequate records, I can’t criticize the Cards, can I?

18. indaburg - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I love Cardinals. With their bright red plume, beautiful songs, monogamous lifestyle–the males even help to incubate the– Oh, you mean the baseball team. Oh, yeah. Totally hate ‘em.

Like others have said, hate is too strong a word. Bored, maybe. Not that the Giants are any better. I’m bored of them too. There’s no real underdog in the NLCS.

19. sportsdrenched - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:50 AM

As a Royals fan living in Kansas I was/am removed from the Missouri infighting of the Royals-Cardinals “Rivalry”. I get why Royals fans can’t stand the Cardinals but it seems like and inferiority complex to me and I refuse to feel infrerior to anyone based what baseball team I root for.

As for the Cardinals themselves I kind of have an affinity for them. My little league team was the Cardinals, and ever since then I’ve rather enjoyed the Bird on Bat. I went to a few games at the old Busch Stadium when I was a kid.

As for this series? I’m torn on who to root for. I sort of adopted the Giants as my NL team. It’s a long story. but I believe it’s the last blog post I made on my blog if you’re interested. Which I get if you’re not.

20. florida76 - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Have to give the Cards their due as the second highest achieving MLB club of all 30, and they’ve done it without the huge financial edge of the Yankees.

Of course, baseball is all the city of St. Louis really has, so you have to take that reality under consideration. Only one super bowl title, and the Rams may be returning to LA. No major college football program, no NBA, and the NHL Blues have never won a Cup since starting play in 1967.

• pw38 - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Missouri in general is a very loyal sports state. They have decent college sports and they suppose their pro teams. It’s hard to hate on a state and city (St. Louis) that shows that much appreciation for their teams, win or lose. It’s why as a Rangers fan I can’t hate the team for what they did. Frankly the Rangers did it to themselves. Enough of that though. I don’t care for the Giants personally and I’d rather see the Cardinals win it out of all the teams left. They’ve earned my respect by being so consistently clutch for so long. They might not win every WS they play in but the team has been steady for awhile now. Nothing to hate about that.

• gostlcards5 - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Yeah, but the Cardinals fanbase goes way beyond Missouri. That has been evident for decades. The Cards base goes all the way to the deep South, and into the Mountain time zone.

(granted, I’m an Indiana boy, so I’m not far away…)

21. delfiteblu - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Who called the last game against the Nats? It was so obvious that they were for the Cards that it made me sick. It wasn’t anybody I recognized from TBS although they were ON TBS.

As far as hating the Cards, you betcha. I’m a lifelong Braves fan and a constant fan since 1982. I hate everything about them. But most especially this: in the 1982 NLCS, the Braves played the Cards.

Game 1 was a wash—literally. The Braves led 1–0 behind Phil Niekro and were three outs from an official game when the umpire stopped it. When the rain did not subside, the game was postponed. The next day when they replayed it, it was a whole new game, which the Braves lost, and they lost the series 3 games to none. (As an aside, Joe Torre was the Braves manager then, a year in which the Braves won the first 13 games they played.)

Not to mention that they’ve been on Atlanta’s tail for more years than I like to count. There’s just something about them – maybe it’s the memory of Whitey Herzog…..maybe it’s just that if the Braves were gonna collapse last year, it could have been ANYBODY who came from x games back to win the division wild card BUT the Cards. Maybe it’s those dang birds on a branch that they wear. I hate ‘em!!

So yeah – everybody (at least in MY family) hates the Cards.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Delfiteblu: Now…THIS…is something I can appreciate. If I were you I would hate them as well.
      Of course…I would respect the hell out of em’ as well for the relentless baseball they consistently play.
      But hate em’ nonetheless.

22. legacybroken - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Its looking like the stars are aligning for the battle of the 88’s in the WS and a rematch of 2006.

23. a125125125 - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:13 PM

How can you possibly call this post-season “rather dreary?” All four division series went to five games. The Yankees and Orioles series was amazing. The Cardinals pulled off the biggest comeback ever in a deciding game. The Giants are the first road team ever to rally from down 2-0. The Yankees-Tigers series had a great game one. And their hasn’t been a true snoozer in the NLCS or ALCS yet. Dreary? Seriously?

I’m convinced that this “everyone’s board of such and such team” narrative is completely generated by sportswriters who are covering the same players repeatedly in consecutive post-seasons. Instead of hustling to find new story ideas….they spew that “everyone’s sick of this team” merely because THEY are sick of the team because they aren’t creative enough to find new story lines. It’s lazy…..and fans deserve better.

• a125125125 - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:18 PM

sorry….”everyone’s *bored* of such and such team”

• ironhawk - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:36 PM

No, a lot of us fans really are bored and most of the games have been pretty bad.

24. goawaydog - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Has any one asked Pujols how he feels about the Cards right now?

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Wonderful question Dog. One I have often wondered myself.
      Come to think of it…I have (strangely) wondered this since the Cardinals beat the Braves.
      Here’s to hoping he enjoys each game from the comforts of his couch while snuggled up with the wifie.
      After all…Albert’s happiness is of the uptmost importance. So yeah…enjoy the games #5!

25. wonkypenguin - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I agree with the statement that the word is “boring.” If you’re not a fan of the “always run” teams, then you’re bored with them after awhile. I’m a Cubs/Twins fan but I don’t LOATHE the Cardinals (particularly now that LaRussa is gone…and even Pujols for that matter). My dad thinks it’s jealousy but really, I am bored with their success in general. To have 3 of the last 4 teams be the last 3 World Series winners…I just agree with the summation that there is no underdog here and underdogs are the best way for the “other” fan to tune in.

I really enjoyed the Nats this year and I feel like criticism about Strasburg is warranted, but the rest of it seems a little overblown and (forgive me) an East Coast thing. They were a fun team to watch. Technically, so are the Cardinals. They’re just…the Cardinals. :-)

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4870)
  2. M. Kemp (3449)
  3. J. Upton (2531)
  4. J. Kang (2503)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2483)
  1. C. McGehee (2460)