Pretty much everyone hates the Cardinals, right?

Oct 15, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

St. Louis Cardinals slap hands after defeating the San Francisco Giants duringtheir MLB NLCS playoff baseball series in San Francisco

Will Leitch is probably the most notable Cardinals fan in the little corner of the Internet a lot of us call home. And something dawned on him over the weekend:

I have spent so much time watching the Cardinals, reveling in their victories and agonizing in their defeats, that I had forgotten that the rest of the world was watching them, too … And the rest of the world, to my astoundment, hates the Cardinals. The rest of the world was cheering for the young, likable, fiery Washington Nationals, with their superstar youngsters and their facial hair and their natty natitude. The Cardinals weren’t the heroes to them; they were the brutish villains, the Cobra Kai, the Empire, stomping on the dreams of the upstart rebellion.

“Hates” is probably too strong a word. I don’t think people truly hate them. If anything, they have become incrementally more likable now that Tony La Russa is gone and don’t have many personalities — apart from maybe Chris Carpenter — who tend to draw the ire of fans in any notable way.

But people are certainly tired of them. Tired of them in much the same way people are tied of the Yankees. If you’re not a fan of either of those teams you almost always want to see them lose. Not because there’s anything wrong with them in and of themselves, but simply because we’re tired of the stories about them told during the postseason. Tired of the late comebacks which, no matter how exciting they are in any given moment, have some dispiriting element to them for anyone who doesn’t cheer those teams on.

It’s probably because the Cardinals and the Yankees are the ultimate overdogs.  They have attained that status for very different reasons, of course. They have different financial structures and fan bases and press coverage and general attitude surrounding them. But they are both considered the gold standard of their respective leagues for whatever reason and they both can never, ever be counted out.

Folks don’t like that much. If their own team can’t be in it, they prefer that just about any other team move on before the Cardinals and the Yankees do.  They either want to root for underdogs or, if there are no underdogs around — remember, the Nationals won way more games than the Cards did — they at least want the new stories and faces on their TV screens in October.

All of which makes this postseason rather dreary.  We were a couple of random bounces, key hits and close calls away from the A’s, Orioles, Nationals and Reds playing in the ALCS and NLCS. That may have been ratings poison for Fox and TBS, but it would have been refreshing for people who were watching.  Now we have those two always-theres in the Yankees and the Cardinals.

And really, the other guys aren’t a ton better.  The Giants don’t have that same feeling as the Cardinals, but they did just win it all in 2010. Saving them, I reckon, is the fact that Brian Wilson can’t pitch this year, which goes a long way to combat the annoying familiarity.  The Tigers are no Yankees and are not even as ubiquitous and tired a story as the Rangers have been, but they do have the Cabrera-Verlander duo which have consumed an awful lot of media oxygen when it comes to MVP arguments and such in the past two years.

So, nope, we really don’t have any fresh faces or exciting new stories this postseason.  Those of us who aren’t Yankees and Cardinals fans are probably settling on rooting for the Tigers and Giants, but it’s not that satisfying.  I suppose the best we can root for is high-quality baseball over the next two weeks and change. Which, given how sloppy and ugly so much of this postseason has been, would be a refreshing storyline of its own.

Sigh.

141 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. senatorsguy - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I don’t.

No, the rest of the world does NOT hate the Cardinals. If you read blogs and comments – it might seem that way, because a couple dozen idiots have nothing better to do than bash anyone other than their team. If you haven’t caught onto that by now, ….

signed,

A Nats Fan

• delfiteblu - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I was rooting for the Nats. I’d have been for them no matter who they were playing as long as it wasn’t the Braves, but most ESPECIALLY because they were playing the Cards. If you’re a Nats fan, you haven’t been around long enough to have had your heart THOROUGHLY broken by the Cards. Should have THIS year considering you had the best record in baseball and were skunked by a team who tiptoed into the second wild card.

I don’t consider anyone who has a REASON to loathe another team to be an idiot – I’d say it has to do with years of baseball experience. :)

• tweiser23 - Oct 15, 2012 at 6:47 PM

This article is very ignorant and ill-conceived. Any true fan of the game of baseball realizes the cardinals are the one of the greatest franchises in the history of sports by winning and doing it the right way. Cardinal fans are some of the most knowledgeable, like-able, and not too mention respectable and appreciative in mannerism to every team they face. Also- the cardinals win without having to pay yankee money.

Consider this, subtract 11 of the yankees 27 championships during the george steinbrener era when almost all of the championships were contributed to paying the games best players year in and year out with all of the money in the world and you have a team with 16 championships) Now compare that to the small market St. Louis Cardinals who have 11 championships (would have been 12 had the 85 series not been tampered by poor officiating) who are yet to pay for a championship and still compete almost every year by developing great players, work hard, and good fundamental baseball. In the past 12 years alone the small market cardinals have appeared in the NLCS in 2000, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2011, and 2012. 7 TIMES AS A SMALL MARKET TEAM. Not too mention 3 NLCS titles and and 2 Series titles. It’s one thing to hate a team that pays for titles, but definitely unfair to hate a team that wins as a result of genuine hard work.

Time and Time again over each generation and era it doesn’t matter what the adversity or situation has been, the St. Louis Cardinals have always found a way to win by playing the game the right way and not have to pay for titles. The Cardinals can let the greatest player of our time in Pujols walk and STILL MAKE IT TO THE PENANT. The cardinals can win on the last strike after last strike and come back from 6-0 deficits because the cardinals are built to play the game well and play with anybody anytime any day. If you can’t respect how genuinely great of the team the cardinals are, then you should honestly take a good look at yourself in the mirror.

2. tklind - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:35 PM

My feelings exactly. Well written article.

3. pdowdy83 - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I feel like he doesn’t read this blog. It was pretty clear most people were not pulling for the Nationals here.

With that said I don’t hate the Cardinals. I respect them. I hope that is the type of organization that the Nationals are turning into. They are steady. Never too high. Never too low. They groom players from within and aren’t afraid to let iconic players walk because the ridiculous free agent contract would be hindering to the future. They seem to do everything the correct way. To me it isn’t that everybody “hates” the Cardinals. Its that they just wish their teams did things as well as they do.

• projectionbalcony - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I read the site all the time! I swear! (Though I hid from Craig during the wild-card play-in game.) — Will

4. maynardstool - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I think Pujols is still busy counting his respect….errr….money

5. zbilyeu7 - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM

So people hate a team that doesn’t have a massive payroll and still wins year after year? Yeah I agree. I hate teams that do it the right way. Good scouting, coaching, and playing through all 27 outs is definitely overrated. I’m never surprised at the crap sports fans say. Hope y’all enjoy seeing us win again. 12 in ’12! BIRDS!!

• nategearhart - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Well, I hate them because I’m a Royals fan, I hate them because I’m a Giants fan, and I hate them because they seem to breed whiners and schmucks (NOT the fans; the organization) – I hate Chris Carpenter so much. And as much as I love watching Pujols play, that man sure likes to gripe. Oh, and LaRussa too; f that guy.

6. Chipmaker - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:46 PM

When I ranked the ten postseason teams for rooting preference, sure, the Rangers were my easy #1 and the refreshing Nationals #2 — then there’s the middle ground — and at the bottom, typically reserved for the Yankees by default, I placed the Cardinals (the Yanx taking the #9 spot). My #7 and #8 are, alas, Detroit and San Francisco (for whom I harbor no resentment for 2010, as they were well overdue). For me, this postseason is a dismal washout by now.

With two titles in the last six seasons, neither an inspiring team, yeah, that’s more than enough of the redbirds on the bat. GO AWAY. It’s actually a bit worse without LaGenius because there’s no focal persona to rage against; I just consider the entire team overflowing with despised suckage.

Thanks for saying, almost word for word, what I’ve been thinking about this pair of LCS. Ugh.

• delfiteblu - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:52 PM

:-)

• jdillydawg - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Well, with that logic, MLB ought to just toss the whole playoff system out the window and just crown one team with the best record at the end of the season. If there’s a tie, crown them both (or all three or four).

To say the Rangers were a worthier opponent is absurd. Do you become worthy because you find yourself in the World Series twice in a row and fail to win either time? Do you become worthy because you can kick ass throughout the season but can’t hold it together when the pressure is REALLY on?

How can a team be worthier than that other team with all that “suckage?”

• Chipmaker - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Logic has nothing to do with it. This is heartbroken outrage.

• richwizl - Oct 15, 2012 at 4:10 PM

The Rangers got totally ripped off because the league post-poned game 7 based on a forecast for rain, which never came, but gave the Cardinals a chance to come back with their Ace, instead of the mediocre pitcher they would have faced without the extra day of rest. I never saw anything so weird in baseball in my 50+ years of watching. As for this year’s team, these Cardinals are amazing and have overcome all odds. I admire this group and believe they will win it all again.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Admittedly…this article and some of the comments has me “posting on eggshells” today.
      But I have decided that I am NOT going to apologize for anything as I have nothing to apologize for.
      This in mind…this right here screams whiney little girl.

“I am full sick & tired of the Cardinals, always clogging up the postseason. And the 2011 title was not theirs; they stole it from the worthier Rangers, and that I do not forgive.”

Dude can’t be serious can he? Nooo. Can’t be? I mean…initally I thought he was being sarcastic.
      Cause’ it’s definately bitchie. But then I read it again (for the 3rd time) and decided dude is serious.
      Look at the rest of his post. Unbelievable. I am gonna post it again for affect.

Come on…a little help here people.

• cardsfanandi - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:57 PM

If they were the ‘worthier’ team, they should’ve stepped up and won the series. You can’t blame Freese for hitting homeruns when the ball is thrown right down the middle…or Motte for throwing mid to high 90s…or TLR for knowing when to pull a pitcher and when to pitch a guy against one batter for that out. You can whine all you want, but that doesn’t make your team any better. That’s the magic of the post season. Either you want a world series where your team gets bragging rights for out and out beating everyone else on the way, or you just want a good record with your team as the ‘best’ on paper, without proof.

I said the same thing after the NLDS about the Nats losing. The Cards had a clear disadvantage having burned their ace in Atlanta, and the Nats couldn’t capitilize on that. Hell, while we’re at it, the Braves couldn’t either. We all know how Medlen had been pitching. It’s just childish to see you whining about it being ‘stolen.’ Let your team prove they’re worthier by winning, then you can criticize other teams…although, I feel like you’d just be rubbing it in our faces what losers we all are, right?

• txstlfan - Oct 18, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Always surprises me to hear goofy arguments like the Cardinals “stole (the World Series) from the worthier Rangers”. In pro sports, you have to WIN the championship in order to claim it, correct? Chipmaker, would you prefer the way college footbally does it? I’m sure the Rangers would have earned a nice bowl game and might have even been ranked #1 by a bunch of baseball writers – that’s better than playing the games to decide who wins?
      I’m gonna assume you agree that real playoff games are better than the BCS. So maybe you just think the Cardinals get more than their fair share of luck, and they are always the wild card but are never good enough to win a division. Actually the Cards have been on the other end of a “lesser” team beating a “worthier” team series plenty of times. How bout 100 wins in 2005 with an NLCS exit courtesy of the 89-win Astros? Or the Cardinals 105-win season in 2004, only to be destroyed by Boston of all teams? Don’t even get me started on the 1987 and 1985 World Series losses, each in 7 games – with a severely blown call, a man-eating tarp, and a terrible/stupid (was then, and still is now) rule for deciding home-field advantage in the World Series.
      Anyway, the breaks don’t always go the Cardinals way. They’ve paid their dues, been on the wrong end of somebody else’s “magical” season. But they play the game the right way, and somehow eventually come back to try again. I love rooting for this team, and don’t feel guilty about their recent success – will just enjoy it while I can. GO CARDS!

7. spudchukar - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:52 PM

When did HBT become a Social Media site? Has the Twitter influence overtaken supposedly intelligent Blogs? Sorry, but I couldn’t give a rat’s ass who hates who, and other irrational blitherings. Any chance we could return to empirical analysis before this site more resembles “Dear Abby” or the National Inquirer?

8. jdillydawg - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:57 PM

This has got to be the whiniest article ever. These two teams define excellence – it’s why we see them so often. It’s what every team aspires to be.

What you are essentially saying is, “Let’s lower the bar.” Everyone should win a trophy.

The Cards fought like crazy to make these playoffs and they aren’t taking a moment of it for granted. Why not teach your kids that that is what makes great teams great? Why not teach your kids that staying on top like the Yankees have for so long is not something that is just given to you, it is earned every year through really hard work.

Nah, it seems like the better lesson you want to teach is, “If you can’t win, just complain. Bring everyone down a notch, because excellence isn’t worth the effort. People will just dislike you if you’re too good.”

If you think the Cards comeback win from 6 down was “dispiriting” to all non-Cards fans, you’re higher than Felix Baumgartner was on Sunday.

• kramerica2012 - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Starbucks should stop being so excellent – give the little guy a chance! Wal-Mart is just too darned good at what they do. Give the little guy a chance!

The beauty of all of this is that we are watching well run organizations, specifically in the NL, at work. The Cardinals won the World Series in 2011 and didn’t sacrifice the farm system to do it. In fact, 3 months later, it was ranked top 5 by most publications. And in 2012? They are making another deep run, without extraordinary contractual obligations and without weakening their system. Come January, they will have another Top 5 product, setting them up for a strong 2013, 2014 and 2015. The Giants aren’t too shabby themselves.

Is it payroll you complain about? If that were the case, the Phillies and Angels would be lining their rotations up for next week. The Cardinals are BY FAR the underdog of the 4 remaining teams when it comes to dollars spent. And 20% of that money missed the entire season.

A well run organization is just that. The Yankees, Tigers, Giants and Cardinals have mixed youth and development with free agency and strong personnel decisions. And for that I will not fault them. Play on. This isn’t a 5 year old soccer league. Only the winners get a trophy at this level, and 4 winners remain. Nothing wrong with that.

9. hisgirlgotburrelled - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:00 PM

If LaRussa was still the coach I think I would dislike (hate is definitely too strong of a word) them right now since they beat the Phillies last year I dont want them to win again. But somehow LaRussa leaving cancelled out them beating the Phillies. They’re just another NL team to me. And I don’t know how many in the “rest of the world” were rooting for the Nationals because I can tell you fans of the Phillies were not in it and I bet a lot of Mets, Braves, and Marlins fans weren’t either. There’s also the crowd that wanted them to lose so they could say “I told you so” – which they did – about the Strasburg shutdown… But everyone likes to make it this “us against the world” thing so they can stick it in the world’s face.

10. rythestunner - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Oh get over yourselves.

Very few people “hate” the Cardinals. The Cardinals are probably the least-hated successful team in baseball.

People weren’t rooting for the Nationals because they hate the Cardinals. People were rooting for the Nationals because, outside of their own favorite team, people tend to root for new, fresh, and underdog teams. The same reason most people were rooting for the A’s and the O’s (although, a lot of people DO actually hate the Yankees)

11. aiede - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I think part of the general baseball fan dislike of the Cardinals is aimed not at the team itself, which is pretty nondescript and usually plays reasonably enjoyable baseball, but rather at the self-anointed “Best Fans in Baseball” Cardinals fandom.

If your team is winning, you don’t get to call yourselves the best fans. Give me the fans who showed up to the final Royals game of the season when they were 16 games back and cheered for Miguel Cabrera’s Triple Crown, even though he’s murdered the Royals his entire AL career. Give me the 27,606 who showed up the last day of the season to see the 55-107 Astros play the 61-101 Cubs. I don’t want to try to define what a “real” baseball fan is, but in general I’m much more impressed with the fanbases that show up in good times and bad than those that materialize out of thin air when a team starts winning.

• kramerica2012 - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Did they anoint themselves that? I hear it from the media and opposing players more than anywhere else. And I’ve heard that commentary since the 90′s. And as you may already know, the 90′s were pretty lean in St. Louis. Cardinals fans show up. Perhaps that is where the “best fans in baseball” thing comes from.

• forsch31 - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:09 PM

The best fans thing has been around a lot longer than that, actually. I’m not sure where it started, whether it was the players or national media. I do know that St. Louis is absolutely fanatical about their team and the game, and the fanbase’s support allows it to operate as a mid-market team, despite being one of the smaller markets in the league (according to MLB at least).

As a Cardinals fan, I hate the label. It smacks of a self-serving elitist attitude that I don’t see in the majority of my interactions with other St. Louis fans, but there’s more than enough fans who buy into it and troll other fanbases to make people believe, yeah, we’re all like that. Good baseball fans are good baseball fans. That’s all that really matters.

• gostlcards5 - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I find this comment silly, because I have heard many teams/fanbases state they have the “best fans in “.

I am not saying that Cardinals fans are the best fans, but generally speaking, I do find that they have good knowledge of the game, its history, and people’s accomplishments. Example – the awesome ovation that Griffey, Jr. got when he hit his 500th HR in Busch Stadium. That maybe doesn’t happen in a lot of stadiums, and I think it very unlikely that would have happened if it was a Cardinals player in Cincy.

Also, I know there are knucklehead fans of every team that ruin the image for others, but all I care about is that they play hard and don’t quit. It helps when they win, but I would have rooted for the Nats to the end if they had beat the Cardinals (or potentially the Braves, because Chipper has always been first class).

• daveloewe - Oct 15, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I know the fans here in St. Louis were rooting for Tony Gwynn to get his 300th hit in St. Louis when he was one hit away. Instead, the poor guy got it in the empty cavern that is Olympic Stadium.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:04 PM

“self-anointed .” One word (w/ exclamation point)…horseshit!

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:11 PM

aiede: Admittedly…after seing “self-anointed” I commented without reading further because it is a load of crap. Then I went back and read this…”in general I’m much more impressed with the fanbases that show up in good times and bad than those that materialize out of thin air when a team starts winning.”
      I don’t know which is more bogus…the “self-anointed” bullshit or that. If you did your homework you would see that Cardinals fans ALWAYS show up. At home AND away. In fact, they are generally top five in attendance for both. It’s why they are known to travel well. This has always been the case.
      Geesh man. I am gonna’ give you a piece of unsolicited advice.
      A point is far better proven if all hints of bias are removed. If not removed…biased observations should be acknowledged. You will be taken seriously by exponentially more people.

• ms72lbc - Oct 15, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I’ve been following the Cardinals since the 50′s, and tickets at Sportsman’s Park, Busch Memorial, and the new Busch Stadium have never been easy to get. The fans did not “self-anoint” themselves as the “Best Fans in Baseball”, they simply are. Ask any player that came to St. Louis from another organization.

• txstlfan - Oct 18, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Agree with forsch31. As a Cardinals fan, I don’t mind hearing someone comment on the great baseball fans that are in St. Louis – especially players and managers from opposing teams, visiting fans of other teams, or even sports broadcasters – but can’t stand to hear it as some kind of marketing tagline like Detroit’s “Hockeytown USA”.
      I understand that sports is a business, and something like that sells. But Cardinals fans definitely did not self-annoint. And there’s always that minority of fans, even in StL, that are just outright stupid and classless.
      I’m not one to contribute to chat rooms with any regularity, just created my login today for this site. But felt compelled to get on and comment. I have read some of the most ignorant, hateful, ridiculous things posted in comment sections on news sites and sports sites – enough to make you give up on the human race. But if you follow sites like VivaElBirdos and other Cardinals fan sites, you’ll find that the majority of them are intelligent, witty, and fair. Ditto to fans of the Nationals and (SF) Giants, also plenty of good San Jose Sharks fans, while we’re at it. I won’t list the teams who have fans that I don’t appreciate, but chances are they know who they are anyway.

12. nategearhart - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I know I’m late to this party, but I do, in fact, hate the Cardinals. Them and the White Sox. All other teams I either like or am indifferent to.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Nate. You said it already. We get it. As a biased Royals fan…you hate the Cardinals.
      Totally understandable.

• nategearhart - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:01 PM

This was actually my first post, as the time stamp would have told you. Anything else you see from me in here is responding to other’s comments, typically playing devil’s advocate or just offering a counterpoint.

Of course, I’m guessing that it’s the content of my comments and not the frequency that has you aggravated. Surely you’ve never let it be known you like the Cardinals twice in one post before.

13. sjhaack - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:40 PM

If it’s a Cardinals-Yankees World Series (the worst possible WS combination this year (the best would have been the A’s and O’s playing a second series after everyone in the NL was disqualified for being annoying)) I would seriously consider rooting for the Yankees. Everyone hates the Yankees, we’re sick of the Cardinals.

14. makeham98 - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:48 PM

That “best fans” is a load of manure. That a player poll gave them the higest single result means little when sone 75% of pkayers had a different opinion. And having whiners . . . and cheats (McGwire and his enabler) make them unlikeable.

15. openseason51 - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Hey it is all about who can put the best team together and stay healthy. It would be a great match up of Yankees and Cards. As far as the Cards go if we didn’t have the extra wild card they were done.

16. kramerica2012 - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I fail to understand how the 2012 Cardinals are not a legitimate underdog story. Perhaps some are sick of the Cardinals being the subject, but the storyline is quite different.

They lose one of the winningest managers in the game. They lose the best hitter of his generation. They lose the best pitching coach in the game. They hire a green, rookie manager. They lose their ace for the majority of the season. Wainwright is on the mend and was less than stellar in his first year off surgery. Berkman, their projected cleanup hitter, misses the entire season. Craig misses 6 weeks. Jay misses 6 weeks plus. Garcia misses half the season. Beltran hits .200 in the second half. Furcal misses the last 6 weeks of the season and all of the playoffs. Lance Lynn, their projected 8th inning arm going into the season, wins 18 games. Rookie upon rookie steps up throughout the season (Kelly, Rosenthal, Miller, Kozma, Carpenter, etc). Exactly what LUCK have they had?

The Cardinals played within the rules of the game to get into the playoffs. The Phillies, Brewers, D’Backs, Pirates and Padres would have been all too happy to accept that second WC spot.

• spudchukar - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Dude, this is not the place for a well-reasoned, fact laden, rational analysis.

• kramerica2012 - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Haha. I presumed it wouldn’t be. But I took a shot.

17. kramerica2012 - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Do I get tired of seeing the Giants, Patriots, Steelers and Packers in the NFC and AFC title games? Not really. I want to see good playoff teams play good playoff football. I have no desire to see the Browns get a playoff spot simply because they “haven’t won in a long time.” Earn it the right way, and earn it over time. The Brewers went all in in 2011 – so what? Show me a team that consistently competes year in and year out. Those are the teams I want to see butt heads.

The last two NL pennant winners and WS champs are going head to head, and “true baseball fans” are complaining about it.

18. cintiphil - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Well, many of the comments made make me sick. We had great teams here in the 70′s. Remember the Big Red Machine? The Reds mostly had their way with most teams and I remember cries of “break up the Reds”. I suppose the Reds were hated by many in the crowd, but we had a good time watching them all the way to the early 90′s. Now I watch many games on T-V and the Reds in person. I am in awe in how the Cards are able to get to the post season year after year. I don’t hate them, but we all here do want to beat them. I thought this was the year, but alas, they had the class and the Reds didn’t. All of the losers commenting here have to look at the great feat the Cards pulled off, and what it takes to do it. The Reds did it in the 70′s, 80′s and 90′s, and they were all hated. I personally hate the Cards, but we do want the Reds to beat them. Maybe some year it will happen. Before tht happens, give them credit they deserve.

• cintiphil - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Note:

I meant to say, I personally DON’T hate the Cardinals.

19. mungman69 - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I love the way the Cards play ball. Clutch is the word that bests describes them.

20. savior72 - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM

The cards are the ultimate ” underdogs” not overdogs. People should appreciate that. Wonder what Puljos is doing right now?

21. goawaydog - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I hate the Cards because I grew up a Cubs fan. It’s a rivalry kind of hate. Sort of the way I felt for my big brother growing up, hated him being bigger, faster, stronger than me, but respected and loved him for it. it’s not the same hate I have for the Yankees which is more along the lines of if I was in a room with G.W. Bush and A -Rod and told I could only punch one of them in the face how hard that decision would be. My Yankee hate is more a loathing, icky kind of feeling (except that Ichiro really does look good in pinstripes and that bothers me too) or my Braves hate which is more like road rage in a postal truck. I am now a longtime Giants fan (25+ years) so have transferred much of my Cards hate ( I keep a little in a box on my shelf just for historical purposes) for Dodger hate.

22. sfm073 - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:53 PM

The wildcard is so terrible until your team wins it.

• delfiteblu - Oct 15, 2012 at 4:31 PM

No, the wildcard even sucks when your team DOES win it…………like the Braves.

23. paperlions - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:55 PM

As a Cardinal fan, I f-in’ love THIS team. Their style (admittedly plain), hustle, joy of playing and winning, the list of no-names and rookies (many of which aren’t no-names anymore) that just keep coming through in the clutch…19 of the 25 guys on the NLCS roster came up through the Cardinals system (all but Carpenter, Lohse, Beltran, Holliday, Mujica, Scrabble).

24. materialman80 - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:56 PM

The Cardinals are a great franchise and they make the city and their fans proud of the way they play the game of baseball. Tired of the Cardinals winning….never.

25. bengalsucker - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Unfortunately the Cardinals have become the Steelers of the MLB. People feel “cooler” to root for them. They probably have (besides the Yanks and Red Sox) the largest fan base nationwide (mostly bandwagon fans simply bc they’re consistanly winning). And you have the “Roethlisberger” of the birds in Carpenter who people love to hate. Of course for different reasons but I do believe it’s actual hate for Carpenter on most levels. He’s a douche, plain and simple. But you have to respect them as an organization because they know how to win when it matters. I’m a Reds fan so that’s hard for me to say but it’s the truth. Now back to “fake hating” the Cardinals as a whole. :-)

• kramerica2012 - Oct 15, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I’d be curious to see how many baseball fans consider Carpenter a douche, outside of Cincinatti and Milwaukee.

The guy is a gamer. Minus a couple of incidents where his temper has gotten the best of him, he has been a model citizen in St. Louis and has said and done all the right things. Let’s not let Kung Fu Cueto and Nyjer Morgan overshadow 8+ years of excellence with their short-lived antics.

• daveloewe - Oct 15, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Carpenter had “season-ending surgery” earlier this year. Grit? I haven’t this much grit since Gibby was slinging the ball when I was a lad.

Three legends off to Cooperstown