Quintin Berry on Yankee Stadium: “this is a very easy place to play now”

Oct 15, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT

Detroit Tigers v New York Yankees - Game Two Getty Images

The Yankees are like the killer in teenage slasher films. Every time you think they’re dead, they pop back up and continue slashing (or, this year anyway, hacking, but that’s another subject).  The point: you cannot declare them dead until they are unequivocally and clinically dead.  To do so is folly. They have annoyingly bounced back up way too many times for that.

So if you’re a member of the Detroit Tigers, you can’t feel at all comfortable saying or doing things which assume that the Yankees are dead.  Or in the case of Quintin Berry, say things which assume that you won’t be back to Yankee Stadium for Games 6 or 7 in the ALCS. And he more or less did that in this quote to Yahoo!’s Jeff Passan last night about the lack of electricity in Yankee Stadium:

“This is a very easy place to play now,” Tigers outfielder Quintin Berry said. “Coming from Oakland, the fans there were so rowdy. It was easier to come here.”

We can debate how much crowd enthusiasm plays into the game on the field, and we can debate whether the ever-famous “bulletin board material” makes any difference when seasoned professionals are involved, but I just can’t imagine that I’d want anyone on my team saying stuff like that while the series was still going on.

1. jpeterson4743 - Oct 15, 2012 at 9:22 AM

well if you really think about it, if NY manages to pull out 2 wins in Detroit electricity doesn’t matter does it? comerica is going to be rocking…

2. papacrick - Oct 15, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Nice try dude but this isn’t going bring the Yankees back for ya. Not even close to bulletin board material. That place is silent and it’s a fact. He didn’t criticize the actual team and nowhere does he say that the series won’t make it to a sixth game

• 18thstreet - Oct 15, 2012 at 10:43 AM

They sold their home field advantage. I think the Steinbrenners are happy with the deal.

The new stadium has fewer seats close to the action than the old one did. You can see it on TV quiet clearly. But those seats cost a lot more than their equivalents did. Thus, there are fewer, quieter fans. But they’re paying more per square foot.

3. historiophiliac - Oct 15, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I didn’t take that to assume they would not return to NY. Rather, it just seemed to me that he wouldn’t find it difficult to play there (if they did return).

4. darthicarus - Oct 15, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Should the Yankees put up ARod’s comment as well for “bulletin board material” as well?

“Our fans haven’t had much to cheer about, so you can’t blame them,” Rodriguez said. “You’ve got to blame us. If I was sitting there, I’d be perplexed, too. We didn’t score any runs. What the hell are you going to cheer about?”

• darthicarus - Oct 15, 2012 at 9:29 AM

sigh, strike one of those as well’s

• deathmonkey41 - Oct 15, 2012 at 9:57 AM

A-Rod is absolutely correct. Besides for a flash in the 9th inning of game one, it’s been weak ground balls and pop ups- hard to get excited when they’re not even making hard outs.

• daisycutter1 - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Yeah…I’m not getting the point here. There’s nothing out of the ordinary in A-Rod’s quote given how badly the offense has been all post-season.

• jdillydawg - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:17 PM

I heard a lot of cheers when Girardi announced he was benching him.

Ya, I guess those aren’t the kinds of cheers that instill confidence, tho…

5. ironmike778 - Oct 15, 2012 at 9:29 AM

The fans at Yankee Stadium are a joke. Game 5 vs Baltimore was as quiet as a game in June most of the game. Lots of empty seats in the balcony too.

• foreverbuddha - Oct 15, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Going to Yankees stadium is expensive especially during playoff time, unless you’re rich. During playoff time, the parking is double from $25 to $50. The food is very expensive too inside Yankees stadium. Since the new Yankees stadium opened, I only went once because someone gave me free tickets.

• gigab0t - Oct 15, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Why are you driving? Take the subway.

• rich7041 - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I have a partial season plan at Yankee Stadium (9 games, the cheapest.) Regular season games are $35 each for my seats. Coming from central NJ, there is no convenient mass transit, so we drive. So that’s about $20 for gas and another $20 for roundtrip tolls. Then $20 for parking (I use one of the lots down Jerome Ave., not stadium lots.) That comes to at least $130 before setting foot in the stadium. $11 beers, $6 hot dogs…you get the picture.

6. stex52 - Oct 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Yeah, gee, Craig. I just hate it too when a player actually says something in an interview. I guess he didn’t meet Crash Davis in the Minors.

It’s hard to see that quote as bulletin board material. And all the Yankees have to do to change the crowd is actually hit something. They know that.

7. jgarcia050 - Oct 15, 2012 at 9:51 AM

yanks are such a boring team…no personality

8. craggt - Oct 15, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I don’t see how anything he said is controversial at all. The Oakland fans were going nuts, the Yankee fans have been mostly silent other than booing their own players.

9. willclarkgameface - Oct 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Oakland IS a shitty baseball experience.

Game 1 of ALDS 2003: I had a dude sitting next to me for 4 hours yelling “hit ‘em in the face” for every Red Sox batter facing A’s pitching. And he still tried to make conversation with me in the bottom of each of the innings like we were baseball fans just taking a little postseason action in.

Then I felt like I was going to be murdered as I left for my car.

Watch the games from home, people. It’s safe.

• torrigjp - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM

This is such a dumb comment

10. franklb - Oct 15, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I don’t see anything controversial here, and certainly nothing directed at the Yankees or their play – no “bulletin board material:\”. I attended all three ALDS games in Oakland, and I confirm that the place was very, very noisy. The radio and TV play by play announcers had to practically yell to be heard. Watching the first two games at Yankee Stadium, I sensed none of that. So yeah, if I were Quentin Berry, I’d rather play in a quieter away stadium. And A-Rod is right – what do the fans have to cheer about if the Yankees can’t hit?

I bet Yankee fans are more concerned about the lack of hitting than about an opposing player’s comment about stadium noise.

11. sdelmonte - Oct 15, 2012 at 10:06 AM

First off, I am one of those people who will only boo his own team when a player makes either an incredibly bad play or says or does something really stupid. So hearing the boos cascade down through Yankee Stadium II does bother me.

But I would say that the epic fail of the bats is a collective bad play. So the boos are earned.

Beyond that, it’s been part of the story – the narrative, if you will – that the high price of tickets at the House that George Built, and the corporate takeover of a lot of the seats there over the years, has affected the flavor of the park. Diehards can’t afford to come, with the exception of the Bleacher Creatures. Fair weather fans are there to impress each other instead of watching the game. And the park never fills up. I don’t if this is the total truth, but I think to some degree the new park doesn’t have – and might never have – the same effect on visitors.

Then again, the Yankees won the whole thing their first year there.

Lastly, I think there is something at play now about playing in NYC that wasn’t there before. Look at how the Mets struggle in their own park. Look at how the football Giants have been mighty road warriors but a .500 club at MetLife Stadium. Home field is not what it once was. And home field in a place where the expectation set even from loyalists is very high is not worth that much at all.

Which is to say that maybe tomorrow night, away from all of that, the Yankees won’t be as dreary. Who knows?

Only one way to see if anything I’ve said means anything.

• paperlions - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Totally agree. This is something playing out through much of the country and in multiple sports (especially hockey, the blue collar hockey fan of my youth is not the typical fan attending NHL games in the 21st century).

This effect is accentuated during the playoffs with tickets limited and expensive (not to mention the gouging on ticket prices and concessions). Home playoff crowds are littered with people there for the event rather than for the baseball.

12. mattcerrone - Oct 15, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Not only is it quieter in Yankees Stadium since the new stadium was built – but WHERE are the fans? On TV it looks as though the stadium is about 1/3 empty. Sad.

13. fuddpucker - Oct 15, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Yeah, Yankees stadium is only filling up around 80-90%, if that. It’s obviously overpriced and with Jeter on the way out it ain’t gonna get any better.

This is the one case where I’m happy I’m not a NY sports fan cause I hate to see the regular blue collar fans get priced out.

14. Alexandra - Oct 15, 2012 at 10:24 AM

He didn’t say or even imply imply “We’re not coming back here because we’ve got this series locked up.” He simply commented on the lack of crowd intensity/electricity. I’m not really sure how that can be construed into bulletin board material, unless Yankee fans take offense to being called quiet or lackluster.

15. beelza - Oct 15, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Craig has employed a couple different informal fallacies to reach a conclusion that is in no way supported by his premises. Let’s boil it down and make it easy, by way of example: “Have you stopped beating your wife yet?” It’s a loaded question, and the best way to answer it is not to get drawn in. If you answer said question “yes” then you admit you’re a wife beater and your standing has been impeached. If you answer “no,” then you continue to presently beat your wife and your standing is again impeached. Premises are false. I’ll be impressed if Craig really understood the intricacies of creating fallacious arguements. Don’t overvalue Craig’s opinions.

16. whatthehellisansky - Oct 15, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Please. A lot of talk about an empty, quiet stadium from folks who werent there.

During the Baltimore series, the fans were standing up and making noise for nearly every 2 strike count on the opposing batters. Especially in game 5. Oh and by the way – we won that series.

The tigers series has seen yankee fans mired in the same slump as the lineup we’re cheering for.

I whole-hardheartedly agree that the price of tickets has pushed away fans, and thats a shame. That is Lonn Trost and Randy Levine’s handywork. But its not fair to say that yankees fans arent in the game as much because they paid more for their tickets (well, except for the ‘legends’ seats in the moat) – its just tough to cheer for your team when they look like a single-A squad.

17. kaseygardner - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I go to plenty of home games. I don’t think the tickets are all that expensive nor is the food for a similar venue. Since I can bring my own food, its purely my choice. Yankee fans have been here many, many times. For Oakland or other flash-in-the-pan teams this is a BIG deal. For us, it is a June game except that it is colder. I have to say, an 8 pm game when you have to get up for work the next morning is a big factor for me. However, that being said, I’d pay anything to avoid having to listen to TBS’s announcers trash the Yankees on television every chance they get. Booing your own team is really crappy sportsmanship. If anything we can boo the umpires because they are awful.

I also think, the way the stadium is laid out, you don’t hear the noise on the field the way you might in other parks. I often worried that our screaming may distract our pitcher. Oh, I probably would have been there were it not for a horrible case of the flu.

If the only thing Berry could say was about the noise in the stadium, we’ll do our best to accommodate him for Game 6.

18. xjokerz - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:19 PM

You took a quote from a Tigers player who typically doesn’t even play…. i love Craig, atleast hes loyal..to the Yankees.

• whatthehellisansky - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:23 PM

yes precisely… who the hell is Quintin Berry?

• normcash - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:36 PM

The guy who led off the 7th with a booming double over Granderson’s head and later scored the only run the Tigers would need. That’s who Quintin Berry is.

• djpostl - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:23 PM

All you have to do is hit it right at Granderson to get that double. He freezes like a deer in the headlights on anything right back up the middle.

19. rexbeatsoff2feet - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Who the hell is Quinton Berry? He’s a guy whose got more hits than Cano, AClod and Swisher in this series.

20. djpostl - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Because lord knows playing in Oakland, where they hadn’t seen meaningful games in a half decade, in three straight “elimination games” no less, as opposed to games 4 & 5 of a five-game stretch in a 5 day span in NYC is exactly the same thing.

21. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM

This isn’t bulletin board material. Bulletin board material is something that involves the opposing team’s players/coaches/etc and gets the team fired up. This quote solely involves the fans, and it won’t be nearly enough to get a bunch of whiny, entitled snobs to start making some noise.

And yes, I realize not all Yankees fans are like that. But come playoff time, the tickets get so expensive that many of the real fans cant afford more than one game at most, and many of the people you see in the stands are rich folks that know nothing about the game and are only there so they can brag about being there when something exciting happened at their next shareholder meeting.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate