Oct 15, 2012, 1:48 PM EDT
Dusty Baker and the Reds have agreed to a two-year contract, the team announced this afternoon.
Baker’s deal expired once the Reds were knocked out of the playoffs by the Giants last week. He’s been Cincinnati’s manager since 2008, during which time the Reds are 419-391 (.517) and have made the playoff twice, losing in the NLDS both times.
This season Baker led the Reds to a 97-65 record that was second-best in the NL behind the Nationals and the best in team history since the back-to-back World Series winners in 1975 and 1976 won 108 and 102 games.
Baker missed some time down the stretch after suffering a mini-stroke, but the 63-year-old made it clear that he planned to continue managing.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)