Oct 15, 2012, 11:25 PM EDT
Coming into the postseason, most mentioned Matt Cain and Madison Bumgarner as the reasons to fear the Giants’ starting rotation. And rightfully so. But Ryan Vogelsong has been their most effective starter thus far.
After allowing one run over five innings in Game 3 of the NLDS against the Reds last week, Vogelsong limited the Cardinals to one run over seven innings tonight as part of a 7-1 victory in Game 2 of the NLCS. In doing so, he became the first Giants’ pitcher to get through six innings this postseason. It was also the first time Vogelsong had completed seven innings in a start since August 8. Not a bad time to change that.
Aside from an RBI double by opposing pitcher Chris Carpenter in the second inning and a pair of doubles by the red-hot Carlos Beltran, Vogelsong held the Cardinals’ lineup in check. He allowed just four hits, two walks and a hit-by-pitch while striking out four.
The big difference in tonight’s ballgame was a four-run fourth inning against Chris Carpenter. The Giants broke a 1-1 tie when Brandon Crawford reached first base on a throwing error by Carpenter which allowed Brandon Belt to score. Marco Scutaro had the big hit, delivering a two-out, bases-loaded single to left field which was bobbled by Matt Holliday and resulted in three runs crossing the plate.
The Giants tacked on two more in the bottom of the eighth inning on a single by Ryan Theriot, who entered the game in the sixth inning when Marco Scutaro exited with a hip injury as a result of Holliday’s violent takeout slide. Not only was this the Giants’ first win at AT&T Park this postseason, but they scored more runs tonight than in their first three home games combined (six).
The NLCS is now tied 1-1 and will resume Wednesday afternoon in St. Louis. Matt Cain is scheduled to pitch for the Giants while Kyle Lohse will start for the Cardinals.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)