Oct 16, 2012, 5:40 AM EDT
Giants 7, Cardinals 1: Apart from the Angel Pagan homer the Giants dinked and dunked their way to the win in Game 2. The biggest story of the game, however, was the b.s. takeout slide of Marco Scutaro by Matt Holliday in the first inning. X-Rays are negative — Scutaro continued in the game, driving in a couple of runs on a single — but he did have to eventually leave.
Bright side: I let my kids stay up late to watch the first few innings, and the Scutaro-Matt Holliday business created a teaching moment in which I was able to explain to them the politics of plunking and retaliation for dirty play. Mookie seemed to grasp it pretty well. I know this because when Holliday came up to bat and wasn’t plunked in retaliation for that slide, she yelled “why didn’t they hit him?!”
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (90)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (81)