And That Happened: Monday’s playoff highlights

Oct 16, 2012, 5:40 AM EDT

St. Louis Cardinals' Holliday slides into San Francisco Giants second baseman Scutaro during the first inning of Game 2 of their MLB NLCS playoff baseball series in San Francisco

Giants 7, Cardinals 1: Apart from the Angel Pagan homer the Giants dinked and dunked their way to the win in Game 2.  The biggest story of the game, however, was the b.s. takeout slide of Marco Scutaro by Matt Holliday in the first inning. X-Rays are negative — Scutaro continued in the game, driving in a couple of runs on a single — but he did have to eventually leave.

Bright side: I let my kids stay up late to watch the first few innings, and the Scutaro-Matt Holliday business created a teaching moment in which I was able to explain to them the politics of plunking and retaliation for dirty play.  Mookie seemed to grasp it pretty well. I know this because when Holliday came up to bat and wasn’t plunked in retaliation for that slide, she yelled “why didn’t they hit him?!”

On to St. Louis for Wednesday’s matchup of Kyle Lohse and Matt Cain.

1. therealtrenches - Oct 16, 2012 at 7:47 AM

There is also the non-plunk, also known as taking the high road when a plunk is expected, which can send the perfect message to the opposition; you’re pathetic , we’re above the fray, and we don’t need to stoop to your level to win this game.

Me? I’da.plunked him, however.

• temporarilyexiled - Oct 16, 2012 at 8:16 AM

If one of the upcoming games is a true blowout for either team, and one more Cardinals baserunner isn’t going to matter that much, I expect Matt Holliday will get nailed on the hip by a four seam fastball.

• stex52 - Oct 16, 2012 at 8:20 AM

I bet not. I imagine the Giants know they already won this battle.

• temporarilyexiled - Oct 16, 2012 at 8:31 AM

The fact that this is apparently not the first time Matt Holliday forgot which sport he was playing on the way to second base may enter into the equation. And there are still potentially five games to play. It wouldn’t surprise me a bit if this series goes that far. We can only predict that there’ll be more stories, not what they’ll be. These teams play so hard, there’s bound to be more sparks.

• paperlions - Oct 16, 2012 at 8:46 AM

The other slide people are referring to is one in which the kicked out his legs to try to trip up Starlin Castro….a play that happens nearly every game of the season…and it wasn’t a bad “slide” as he was easily close enough to touch the base.

This was a bad play….the Castro play wasn’t.

• tomemos - Oct 16, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Leaving aside the merits of what you’re saying about the slide at Castro, what you’re describing does not happen “nearly every game of the season” or anything close to that.

• paperlions - Oct 16, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I meant every day (as in, in some game somewhere in MLB), not every game, my bad.

2. stex52 - Oct 16, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Pagan made the perfect response. Give ‘em a quick salute as you round third to score. They can’t retaliate to that, even in that tough-guy fraternity it would look pathetic.

Cards fan, by the way. But I did not like Holliday’s play.

• temporarilyexiled - Oct 16, 2012 at 8:24 AM

I believe he was saluting his own dugout, but I could be wrong.

• stex52 - Oct 16, 2012 at 8:27 AM

I thought he was rounding third. But I’ll admit I was doing paperwork while I watched. I like my narrative better. Hope it’s true.

• temporarilyexiled - Oct 16, 2012 at 8:36 AM

I appreciate your sense of humor. If we fans can’t have our narratives, regardless of whether they resemble current events, why blog? As long as the teams keep playing good baseball, there’ll be no losers here. Oh, and on the broadcast, they got confused about the dugouts, as well.

• Marty - Oct 16, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Pagan salutes his dugout every time he gets on base. McCarver, in his typical dumb as shit way didn’t do his research, and forgot which baseline Pagan was running.

Mccarver was also surprised that Voglesong pitched a ball outside on a 0-2 count because “you only do that when your are ahead in the count”.

• kevinbnyc - Oct 16, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I refuse to acknowledge this criticism of Tim McCarver. Best in the business, especially alongside Joe Buck.

3. bayafan - Oct 16, 2012 at 8:39 AM

The giants dugout is on the third base side

• stex52 - Oct 16, 2012 at 9:10 AM

My mistake. Used to the home team being on the first base side. You left coast guys…………………………..:-)

4. chumthumper - Oct 16, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Good thing the Cards weren’t playing the Reds or plunking would have been the least of the reaction.

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Oct 16, 2012 at 10:40 AM

DON’T PLUNK HIM! You might hurt him. The best revenge the Giants could have is to let Holliday continue playing his stellar brand of LF “defense” in the playoffs. Like turning Scutaro’s RBI single into a 3-run double last night. The Giants should pay for Holliday’s therapy just to make sure he keeps up the good work out there.

6. hushbrother - Oct 16, 2012 at 10:45 AM

For those who don’t know, “Mookie” is Craig’s daughter. Craig is a huge Mets fan.

7. APBA Guy - Oct 16, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Good game for the home team last night, as the Giants finally won a home game this postseason. Is it just me, or do either of these NL teams look like they could take either of the AL teams right now?

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3965)