Oct 16, 2012, 10:31 AM EDT
Braves catcher Brian McCann was diagnosed midseason with a frayed labrum and cyst in his throwing shoulder. The thought at the time was that he was in need of rest, not the knife. And he got the rest and is getting plenty of it now. But it must not have been good enough, because David O’Brien reports that McCann is having surgery today.
Estimates on recovery time for this sort of thing range from anywhere between two months and five months, so it’s unclear whether McCann will be ready for spring training and the start of the 2013 season.
McCann is subject to a $12 million team option for 2013. The Braves are expected to exercise it after the season is over.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)