Oct 16, 2012, 10:31 AM EDT
Braves catcher Brian McCann was diagnosed midseason with a frayed labrum and cyst in his throwing shoulder. The thought at the time was that he was in need of rest, not the knife. And he got the rest and is getting plenty of it now. But it must not have been good enough, because David O’Brien reports that McCann is having surgery today.
Estimates on recovery time for this sort of thing range from anywhere between two months and five months, so it’s unclear whether McCann will be ready for spring training and the start of the 2013 season.
McCann is subject to a $12 million team option for 2013. The Braves are expected to exercise it after the season is over.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 43
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 30
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 191
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (191)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)