Oct 16, 2012, 10:31 AM EDT
Braves catcher Brian McCann was diagnosed midseason with a frayed labrum and cyst in his throwing shoulder. The thought at the time was that he was in need of rest, not the knife. And he got the rest and is getting plenty of it now. But it must not have been good enough, because David O’Brien reports that McCann is having surgery today.
Estimates on recovery time for this sort of thing range from anywhere between two months and five months, so it’s unclear whether McCann will be ready for spring training and the start of the 2013 season.
McCann is subject to a $12 million team option for 2013. The Braves are expected to exercise it after the season is over.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (92)