Oct 16, 2012, 10:31 AM EDT
Braves catcher Brian McCann was diagnosed midseason with a frayed labrum and cyst in his throwing shoulder. The thought at the time was that he was in need of rest, not the knife. And he got the rest and is getting plenty of it now. But it must not have been good enough, because David O’Brien reports that McCann is having surgery today.
Estimates on recovery time for this sort of thing range from anywhere between two months and five months, so it’s unclear whether McCann will be ready for spring training and the start of the 2013 season.
McCann is subject to a $12 million team option for 2013. The Braves are expected to exercise it after the season is over.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 139
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 133
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (139)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (133)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)