Oct 16, 2012, 10:31 AM EST
Braves catcher Brian McCann was diagnosed midseason with a frayed labrum and cyst in his throwing shoulder. The thought at the time was that he was in need of rest, not the knife. And he got the rest and is getting plenty of it now. But it must not have been good enough, because David O’Brien reports that McCann is having surgery today.
Estimates on recovery time for this sort of thing range from anywhere between two months and five months, so it’s unclear whether McCann will be ready for spring training and the start of the 2013 season.
McCann is subject to a $12 million team option for 2013. The Braves are expected to exercise it after the season is over.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 7
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (81)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)