Oct 16, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
I wrote last week about how Carlos Beltran had the highest slugging percentage and the highest OPS in playoff history, and since then he’s actually managed to raise both numbers while also taking over the all-time playoff lead in batting average and on-base percentage too.
After going 2-for-3 with two doubles and a walk last night Beltran is now hitting .400 with a .500 on-base percentage and .897 slugging percentage in eight playoff games for the Cardinals this season.
And here are the updated all-time postseason leaders among players with at least 100 plate appearances:
OBP SLG OPS CARLOS BELTRAN .489 CARLOS BELTRAN .838 CARLOS BELTRAN 1.327 Lou Gehrig .477 Babe Ruth .744 Babe Ruth 1.211 Babe Ruth .467 Lou Gehrig .731 Lou Gehrig 1.208
Beltran also owns the highest postseason batting average (.378), so he’s basically the all-time playoff leader in everything. And if you prorate his playoff numbers over a full 162-game schedule it works out to .378 with 76 homers, 49 doubles, 135 RBIs, 205 runs, 130 walks, and 49 steals without being caught.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 39
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 11
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 29
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 34
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (183)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)