Oct 16, 2012, 9:53 AM EDT
This is basically what he wanted last year and didn’t get, which led Ortiz to say he felt “humiliated” by the Red Sox. In hindsight a two-year, $25 million deal last year would have been better for the Sox. As it was they paid him $14.575 million for 2012, and will now be faced with paying him more than that for the 2012-13 seasons, plus the kicker year in 2014.
It was a gamble the Sox made, thinking perhaps that Ortiz could fall off a cliff. Now, instead of having him under contract for 2013 only, which is what would have happened if Ortiz got his way last winter, the Sox are likely going to have to go with more money and another year of risk on the guy.
But hey, he has earned it, has he not?
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)