Oct 16, 2012, 9:53 AM EST
This is basically what he wanted last year and didn’t get, which led Ortiz to say he felt “humiliated” by the Red Sox. In hindsight a two-year, $25 million deal last year would have been better for the Sox. As it was they paid him $14.575 million for 2012, and will now be faced with paying him more than that for the 2012-13 seasons, plus the kicker year in 2014.
It was a gamble the Sox made, thinking perhaps that Ortiz could fall off a cliff. Now, instead of having him under contract for 2013 only, which is what would have happened if Ortiz got his way last winter, the Sox are likely going to have to go with more money and another year of risk on the guy.
But hey, he has earned it, has he not?
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 19
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)