Oct 16, 2012, 9:53 AM EDT
This is basically what he wanted last year and didn’t get, which led Ortiz to say he felt “humiliated” by the Red Sox. In hindsight a two-year, $25 million deal last year would have been better for the Sox. As it was they paid him $14.575 million for 2012, and will now be faced with paying him more than that for the 2012-13 seasons, plus the kicker year in 2014.
It was a gamble the Sox made, thinking perhaps that Ortiz could fall off a cliff. Now, instead of having him under contract for 2013 only, which is what would have happened if Ortiz got his way last winter, the Sox are likely going to have to go with more money and another year of risk on the guy.
But hey, he has earned it, has he not?
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)