David Ortiz is looking for a two-year deal between $25 million and $30 million

Oct 16, 2012, 9:53 AM EDT

David Ortiz AP

John Tomase of the Boston Herald reports that David Ortiz is looking for a two-year deal between $25 million and $30 million from the Red Sox.

This is basically what he wanted last year and didn’t get, which led Ortiz to say he felt “humiliated” by the Red Sox. In hindsight a two-year, $25 million deal last year would have been better for the Sox. As it was they paid him $14.575 million for 2012, and will now be faced with paying him more than that for the 2012-13 seasons, plus the kicker year in 2014.

It was a gamble the Sox made, thinking perhaps that Ortiz could fall off a cliff.  Now, instead of having him under contract for 2013 only, which is what would have happened if Ortiz got his way last winter, the Sox are likely going to have to go with more money and another year of risk on the guy.

But hey, he has earned it, has he not?

1. gerryb323 - Oct 16, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Yes. Won’t find a better option. Unless he’s not going to be fully recovered from his injury…

2. prosourcetalk - Oct 16, 2012 at 10:28 AM

They would be foolish to give him that kind of a deal. I doubt he would get anything close to that from another team.

3. hushbrother - Oct 16, 2012 at 10:32 AM

He’s the one guy whom Red Sox fans will never turn on. The love is unrequited. He’s Yaz circa 1980, except he can still play.

• bigharold - Oct 16, 2012 at 10:36 AM

“Play”?? No, he can still hit, .. assuming he’s not injured.

• 18thstreet - Oct 16, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Designated hitter is a position, and has been since before I was born. You can object to its existence, but his ability to hit makes him a major leaguer even if he can’t do anything else. Your comment suggests that NFL punters and kickers aren’t actually players.

• psousa1 - Oct 16, 2012 at 4:31 PM

And what’s wrong with that? He plays more than a starting pitcher and has had more impact on this team than any player the past 3 years (save for 2011 Jacoby Ellsbury).

2011 they played 10 straight interleague games and Francona was afraid to put him at first and Gonzalez in the OF and they got creamed.

When He went down this year the offense went into a horrendous slide. At one point they scored the second most runs in the AL through July

• bigharold - Oct 16, 2012 at 5:22 PM

First of all I’ve no beef with the DH position, I’m an American League guy all the way. In fact I think it should be used in the NL too. But, my point was that the single thing Ortiz is capable of, .. in fact excels at, .. is hitting. He is not only not very good at defense, he’s terrible at it and if he attempted to play defense he’d like get hurt. At best it would merely have an adverse on his hitting. He’s not very good at running the bases because he has no speed nor has he developed base running skills to maximize his lack of speed. He might be capable of throwing but since I don’t think I’ve ever seen him throw a ball in a game I couldn’t tell you if his arm is either very strong or accurate. Don’t get me wrong, .. I like Ortiz and he can hit the ball a ton but he can’t “play”, .. as is in do anything else related to the game proficiently. And, if you think I’m being too hard on him, .. ask yourself; What’s Ortiz worth on the open market if the AL did away with the DH?

And, with all that said, I still think the RS should sign Ortiz, .. just not for two years, .. mostly because of his age in conjunction with his recent injury. And, not for the kind of money he’s asking for because nobody is going to give him anywhere near that kind of money.

And, for the record punters and kickers are generally not football players they’re punters and kickers. Generally, they’ve one talent that is not transferable to any other part of the game. While some, .. a few, .. are athletic most are short, and or slow lacking the requisite speed or strength to be productive at any other aspect of the game. So, no they aren’t actually football players

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Oct 16, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Only the Red Sox could sign a guy for nearly $15MM, hoping his production tanks, then deal with disappointment when it doesn’t.

• dan1111 - Oct 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM

This is a very silly framing of the issue. All the Sox did was offer Ortiz a contract that they thought accurately reflected his market value, given his track record and the risks associated with age. i.e. what every team tries to do.

The fact that the Sox got a year of great production from this deal is a win for them, not a problem.

5. gerryb323 - Oct 16, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Two years of Ortiz @ $25 million > Two years of A-Rod @ $53 million

• sidelineshot - Oct 16, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Stuck with A-ROD for 5 more years … OUCH !!!

6. tycobb420 - Oct 16, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Gee whiz, do you think he’s really sitting beside the bullpen phone waiting for the $25M offers to roll in? I hope not.

I would like for him to get paid, though I’m not sure I’d like for my team to do it.

7. bigharold - Oct 16, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I’m looking for a two year deal in the 25-30 mil range. I’m guessing my boss has other ideas.

Assuming he stay’s healthy, .. which is certainly a decent size assumption, .. Ortiz will likely remain a powerful bat. But, he’s a year older and there will be more inter league play next season. The likelihood that he’s going to find his way onto the DL next year is significant. There is also the possibility that he’s going to start to show his age too. And, he stinks on defense.

Giving him a two year deal for that kind of money is a huge risk. And, clearly he will not get that kind of offer from another team so the question is why would the RS go two for that kind of money? If I gave him a two year deal it’d have to be for no more than 20 million. A two year deal for 25-30 would need to come as the second yer being an option which vest depending on health.

The RS aren’t exactly knee deep in DH type hitters. I’d like to see Ortiz finish his career in Boston. I think he’s a great hitter and a good baseball personality. I can’t see that giving him 25-30 mil over two years is wise but hey, .. it’s not my money and the RS can afford it. Besides, he’s been tormenting My Yankees for all these years, .. he might as well stick around and keep things interesting.

• sidelineshot - Oct 16, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I think that 25 mil for 2 years is not a big risk.
      So he has a good year and then his production falls off. Not a big deal to have to pay him 12.5 mil. That’s less than what they pay Lackey to sit in the bench. At least the Sox could have his presence in the clubhouse.

• bigharold - Oct 16, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Using Lackey’s contract as a point of reference should help you see that you’re reaching.

And, it’s a big deal if his production falls off in 2013 and he comes back in 2014 even worse. His presence in the clubhouse will be negated if he’s not producing, .. in fact it could become a distraction. Ortiz has a bit of the diva in him.

I like Ortiz but if I’m in the RS FO I’d rather give him 15-16 mil for one year, .. then resign him for 15-17 mil, assuming it’s warranted, the following year than give him two years at 25-30. Sure it might cost more in the long run but only if he produces. So essentially they’d be getting their monies worth. If he fades or ends up hurt for a significant portion of 2013, not only will the RS save money in 2014 they’ll get roster flexibility.

I like Ortiz and get why the Nation would like to keep him. He’s one of their biggest icon ever. But they’ll only want him as long as he’s productive. Look what Jeter went through to get a three year deal from the Yankees recently and he was a far better risk than Ortiz and a bigger icon for them too. Even still, a significant portion of the Yankee fan base was upset with Jeter not so much over the money as the length of the commitment. I’m also dead sure that if next July Ortiz is hitting .220 with 4 HRs or spends half of next season on the DL the Nation will be ranting to throw him overboard. Sign him for one year 15 mil, .. he’ll get paid and the RS won’t have to be committed for 2014 to a 40ish DH that might not be able to hit any longer. If he has another good year hitting and stays healthy he’ll make even more money.

Ortiz bemoans the fact that he doesn’t feel like he gets any respect from the RS. Somebody in the RS FO should tactfully point out to him that at the end of the day it’s a business too. And, point out to him he’s not likely to get anything near a 2yr/25-30 mil offer from any other club.

8. hansob - Oct 16, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I hear he’s also looking for something very specific from Christy Turlington.

9. Kevin S. - Oct 16, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Unless the Red Sox plan on using their freed-up salary space to reload through free agency this offseason, why would they even bother locking in on Ortiz? If they’re rebuilding, spending a lot of money for a short-term deal to an aging slugger does absolutely nothing to help them.

• paperlions - Oct 16, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Yep. That roster just doesn’t have the talent on it to be serious contenders next year (or the one after that)…so why bother with such a deal? They have some players in the minors, but not enough to make them a playoff team….and the FA market is super thin. They don’t have the chips to trade for any younger talent under contract. This looks like a re-build situation….to deny that will just slow the re-build down…or worse, spread it out so that you never get that cohort of young players together to build something long term.

• stex52 - Oct 16, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I was waiting for someone to say that. They don’t need Ortiz; they won’t make the playoffs anyway. Save 15 MM$ or so this year to plug into younger or free agent talent at a reasonable price.

10. richwizl - Oct 16, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Papi is gone, let’s face it. Go get paid, David, and leave the sinking ship behind.

11. herrick9 - Oct 16, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Sox made a bad decision in 2012 re: Papi but it was just one of MANY……

12. hojo20 - Oct 16, 2012 at 11:55 AM

The DH position is better used as a placeholder to get a position player a day off in the field.

• Kevin S. - Oct 16, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Not if you have a better hitter available. If a player has a significant amount of his value tied to his defense and position, you aren’t really gaining anything by keeping his bat in the lineup – just give him the full day off.

• psousa1 - Oct 16, 2012 at 4:34 PM

No way. That’s just when you don’t have a hitter for the position a team will say that. The Yankees, the past couple of years, were fond of saying – they use it as a position to rest players. Bullsh!t. This year they signed Raul Ibanez to be the full time DH but when Brett Gardner got hurt they had to run him out there.

13. belichickrulz - Oct 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM

LMAO!!!!

One year, $12 million. Take it or leave it Papi (and don’t let the door hit you on the a** on your way out).

14. pedroia81 - Oct 16, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I like Ortiz at 2 yrs 22 mil or 1 yr 15 mil

15. earlnash - Oct 16, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Notice how the Sox offense tanked without Ortiz?
    He has two good years left and deserves this contract.

1. M. Morse (2346)