Internet detective! Mets prospect bust “John” tells his story on Chelsea Peretti’s podcast

Oct 16, 2012, 1:16 PM EDT

peretti

I’m way too excited about this post, because it combines four of my favorite things: Baseball, podcasts, Chelsea Peretti, and snooping for information about people on the internet.

Chelsea Peretti is a great stand-up comedian, writer, and tweeter who just started her own podcast in which she takes calls from the audience. I was listening to the second episode this afternoon when about 12 minutes in a caller named “John” started talking about how he’s 24 years old and “blew a small fortune” of $210,000 after being drafted by the Mets as an 18-year-old.

Peretti asked: “And then what happened, you started sucking at baseball?”

“They thought I was a good baseball player,” our mystery man explained, adding that he was a pitcher before his “elbow blew out” and he spent most of the signing bonus on a truck and “buying sushi every night.”

That was more than enough information to discover our mystery man’s identity via the magic of the internet: John Holdzkom, a 6-foot-7 right-hander who was the Mets’ fourth-round pick in 2006 and signed for $210,000. He underwent Tommy John elbow surgery in 2009 and has yet to make it past high Single-A, throwing a total of 135 innings in seven seasons. He spent this season in the Reds’ farm system, but appeared in just six games and walked 13 batters in nine innings.

Holdzkom shared some interesting details about his arm problems and various off-field issues, showing a really good sense of humor about the whole thing. And he’s apparently headed to Australia to continue his career. You should definitely listen to their whole chat, if only so I feel less silly about spending time researching the identity of an anonymous podcast caller.

To experience my internet detective work unfolding in real time you can follow me on Twitter.

1. banksatdixie - Oct 16, 2012 at 1:28 PM

He played at Salt Lake Community College for a year before he was drafted, I played against him. The dude hit 98 on the Stalker gun a dozen times. He hit the back stop a dozen times too.

• banksatdixie - Oct 16, 2012 at 2:11 PM

HA! He says he wants to “keep it Mormon” in the podcast.

2. beearl - Oct 16, 2012 at 1:30 PM

G(l)eeks rule!

3. Gobias Industries - Oct 16, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Wow, talk about terrible luck. Poor guy. Talk about being dealt a bad hand in life.

• Gobias Industries - Oct 16, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Actually it’s worse than I thought! Turns out he also blew out his elbow and lost all his money! I had only read the part about him being drafted by the Mets.

4. bla bla bla - Oct 16, 2012 at 4:12 PM

For some reason, I find her incredibly attractive. Incredibly.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 16, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I know right. The first time I saw her was on one of those stupid clip shows making snarky comments. I remember thinking that for some reason I could not explain, I was ridiculously attracted to her. I mean, I’ve dated some ridiculously gorgeous women over the past 10 years…but there is just something about her.

• dtob79 - Oct 16, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Um, I date models. Face models. My girlfriend, on a scale of one to Giselle, uh, a nine.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2894)