Oct 16, 2012, 8:50 AM EDT
You think the Matt Holliday slide was bad last night? Ha! This morning Buster Olney tweeted a link to a video clip from the 1972 World Series that makes Holliday’s takeout of Marco Scutaro look like the two of them were drinking tea and eating crustless cucumber sandwiches at a doiley-covered table on some sun-splashed glade.
Check out Joe Morgan UPDATE: Check out Hal McCrae* taking out second baseman Dick Green on the second slide on this video:
How that didn’t lead to a rumble I have no idea.
*I had this as a Joe Morgan slide all day, based on the description of the video on YouTube and the quality of the video being such that, sure, it coulda been Joe Morgan. I’m informed, however, that Morgan was never forced out at second in that World Series. And upon further inspection, you can sorta make out a number one on the back of the guy’s jersey as he approaches the base. Hal McCrae wore 11 for the Reds, and it would appear that that’s who we’re seeing in the video.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)