Oct 16, 2012, 8:50 AM EDT
You think the Matt Holliday slide was bad last night? Ha! This morning Buster Olney tweeted a link to a video clip from the 1972 World Series that makes Holliday’s takeout of Marco Scutaro look like the two of them were drinking tea and eating crustless cucumber sandwiches at a doiley-covered table on some sun-splashed glade.
Check out Joe Morgan UPDATE: Check out Hal McCrae* taking out second baseman Dick Green on the second slide on this video:
How that didn’t lead to a rumble I have no idea.
*I had this as a Joe Morgan slide all day, based on the description of the video on YouTube and the quality of the video being such that, sure, it coulda been Joe Morgan. I’m informed, however, that Morgan was never forced out at second in that World Series. And upon further inspection, you can sorta make out a number one on the back of the guy’s jersey as he approaches the base. Hal McCrae wore 11 for the Reds, and it would appear that that’s who we’re seeing in the video.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 200
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)