Oct 16, 2012, 8:50 AM EDT
You think the Matt Holliday slide was bad last night? Ha! This morning Buster Olney tweeted a link to a video clip from the 1972 World Series that makes Holliday’s takeout of Marco Scutaro look like the two of them were drinking tea and eating crustless cucumber sandwiches at a doiley-covered table on some sun-splashed glade.
Check out Joe Morgan UPDATE: Check out Hal McCrae* taking out second baseman Dick Green on the second slide on this video:
How that didn’t lead to a rumble I have no idea.
*I had this as a Joe Morgan slide all day, based on the description of the video on YouTube and the quality of the video being such that, sure, it coulda been Joe Morgan. I’m informed, however, that Morgan was never forced out at second in that World Series. And upon further inspection, you can sorta make out a number one on the back of the guy’s jersey as he approaches the base. Hal McCrae wore 11 for the Reds, and it would appear that that’s who we’re seeing in the video.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (250)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)