Oct 16, 2012, 8:50 AM EDT
You think the Matt Holliday slide was bad last night? Ha! This morning Buster Olney tweeted a link to a video clip from the 1972 World Series that makes Holliday’s takeout of Marco Scutaro look like the two of them were drinking tea and eating crustless cucumber sandwiches at a doiley-covered table on some sun-splashed glade.
Check out Joe Morgan UPDATE: Check out Hal McCrae* taking out second baseman Dick Green on the second slide on this video:
How that didn’t lead to a rumble I have no idea.
*I had this as a Joe Morgan slide all day, based on the description of the video on YouTube and the quality of the video being such that, sure, it coulda been Joe Morgan. I’m informed, however, that Morgan was never forced out at second in that World Series. And upon further inspection, you can sorta make out a number one on the back of the guy’s jersey as he approaches the base. Hal McCrae wore 11 for the Reds, and it would appear that that’s who we’re seeing in the video.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)