Oct 16, 2012, 8:50 AM EDT
You think the Matt Holliday slide was bad last night? Ha! This morning Buster Olney tweeted a link to a video clip from the 1972 World Series that makes Holliday’s takeout of Marco Scutaro look like the two of them were drinking tea and eating crustless cucumber sandwiches at a doiley-covered table on some sun-splashed glade.
Check out Joe Morgan UPDATE: Check out Hal McCrae* taking out second baseman Dick Green on the second slide on this video:
How that didn’t lead to a rumble I have no idea.
*I had this as a Joe Morgan slide all day, based on the description of the video on YouTube and the quality of the video being such that, sure, it coulda been Joe Morgan. I’m informed, however, that Morgan was never forced out at second in that World Series. And upon further inspection, you can sorta make out a number one on the back of the guy’s jersey as he approaches the base. Hal McCrae wore 11 for the Reds, and it would appear that that’s who we’re seeing in the video.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 50
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 34
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 211
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (211)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)