Oct 16, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Lance Berkman was left off the Cardinals’ playoff roster following knee surgery, but said today that he could potentially be ready to play in the World Series.
B.J. Rains of FOXSportsMidwest.com reports that Berkman has started light running and “thinks there’s real chance” he could be added to the roster if the Cardinals advance past the Giants.
Berkman made a pinch-hitting appearance in the Cardinals’ regular season finale, but before that hadn’t played since September 7. He obviously isn’t going to bump Allen Craig out of the lineup, but even at less than full strength Berkman could be a nice bat to have available off the bench.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 115
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)