Oct 16, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
Lance Berkman was left off the Cardinals’ playoff roster following knee surgery, but said today that he could potentially be ready to play in the World Series.
B.J. Rains of FOXSportsMidwest.com reports that Berkman has started light running and “thinks there’s real chance” he could be added to the roster if the Cardinals advance past the Giants.
Berkman made a pinch-hitting appearance in the Cardinals’ regular season finale, but before that hadn’t played since September 7. He obviously isn’t going to bump Allen Craig out of the lineup, but even at less than full strength Berkman could be a nice bat to have available off the bench.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 44
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 61
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)