Lance Berkman could be ready to play in the World Series

Oct 16, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT

Lance Berkman, Dioner Navarro AP

Lance Berkman was left off the Cardinals’ playoff roster following knee surgery, but said today that he could potentially be ready to play in the World Series.

B.J. Rains of FOXSportsMidwest.com reports that Berkman has started light running and “thinks there’s real chance” he could be added to the roster if the Cardinals advance past the Giants.

Berkman made a pinch-hitting appearance in the Cardinals’ regular season finale, but before that hadn’t played since September 7. He obviously isn’t going to bump Allen Craig out of the lineup, but even at less than full strength Berkman could be a nice bat to have available off the bench.

1. crookedstick - Oct 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Does the Cardinal medical staff know what the hell they’re doing? This is the second “season ending” injury this year that apparently isn’t so “season ending” after all. Or, do they just report the worst-case scenario and then hope for the best? Just seems like the Cardinal dr.’s have swung and missed several times the last few years going back before Mark Mulder and his “tired arm.”

• blues1988 - Oct 16, 2012 at 4:40 PM

yes, the cards medical staff doesn’t know what the hell they’re saying or doing

-sign, a cards fan.

• blues1988 - Oct 16, 2012 at 4:40 PM

yes, the cards medical staff doesn’t know what the hell they’re saying or doing

-signed, a cards fan.

• paperlions - Oct 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM

So….because media members report injuries as “season ending” you think the Cardinal medical staff is the one making the declaration?

All of the stuff you are referring to is the speculation of reporters, who are interpreting or guessing based on released medical reports….which typically only speculate about “normal recovery time”.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 16, 2012 at 5:46 PM

On point Paper.
        But I will say when it comes to reporting injuries…
        The Cardinals are the New England Patriots of MLB.

• paperlions - Oct 16, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I agree…but don’t really mind that aspect of it. I don’t feel I have the right to know the intimate medicals of every player….they’ll be back when they’re back.

• crookedstick - Oct 16, 2012 at 6:18 PM

While not the medical staff, I’d think the manager declaring Berkman out for the year would be fairly credible. Unless he too is ” interpreting or guessing based on released medical reports.”

• paperlions - Oct 16, 2012 at 7:45 PM

BJ Rains said that….it isn’t clear from that what Matheny said. Matheny could have simply said they were moving forward without him or that they weren’t counting on him coming back. Anything that is not a quote must be considered an interpretation….and as someone that has personally seen how badly interpretations can be when a reporter bends them to their preferred story line….unless it is a COMPETE and direct quote, I don’t consider any such things any more than speculation/interpretation.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 16, 2012 at 6:26 PM

“Oh yes by all means….no one else can have an opinion except a Cardinal fan. The rest of us are just morons living in their world unworthy to offer any type of opinion. Get off your high horse already! Oh wait, I forgot. Best fans in baseball!! My bad!”

What the hell Man? How can you possibly come up with that after my post on Berkman?
      Seriously…I am curious. Did I do a bad job of posting? Did I misslead anyone? I simply stated (tongue-in-cheek) that Lance has never been a “last hurrah” guy. Separately…I am agreed with you in regards to your medical prognosis comment. I referred to the Cardinals as the MLB version of the Patriots when it comes to reporting injuries. Seems like a lot of people have a chip on their shoulder.
      Your post floored me. Off the deep end sorta’ thing.

• paperlions - Oct 16, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Yeah, Joe Strauss must have just forgotten to mention that it was a season ending surgery after writing up that new conference: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/berkman-needs-surgery-career-in-jeopardy/article_5ff39f74-31d6-5447-810f-a70688307b2a.html

….and that is from a guy (Strauss) that loves gloom, doom, and hyperbole.

2. albertmn - Oct 16, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Didn’t Berkman already come back from a previous “season ending” injury this year?

I think the Twins need to hire away someone from the Cardinals training staff. The Twins staff can’t seem to correctly diagnose anything, and day-to-day injuries end up lasting for weeks, or turn into season enders, while the Cards’ staff turns season enders into non-season enders (such as Carpenter).

• paperlions - Oct 16, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Obviously not….every time he has surgery someone asks if it’ll end his season/career….and they interpret any answer that doesn’t include a time table for return as a “yes”.

3. El Bravo - Oct 16, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Lazurus

4. alang3131982 - Oct 16, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Kirk Gibson.

5. unlost1 - Oct 16, 2012 at 5:02 PM

he just wants a last hurrah and probably won’t contribute

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 16, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Yeah…that’s it. Lance has alwasy been a big “last hurrah” guy.
      Wow. Sometimes I wonder if anyone even watches baseball.

• crookedstick - Oct 16, 2012 at 6:13 PM

• unlost1 - Oct 25, 2012 at 10:32 AM

you’re gay

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 25, 2012 at 10:50 AM

“you’re gay”

It took you (9) days to respond and THIS is what you come up with?
      And to think…my response wasn’t even very argumentative. More tongue-in-cheek than anything.
      Yet…(9) days later you respond “you’re gay.”

Hahaha! You need more practice Man. “Great stuff.”

6. stex52 - Oct 16, 2012 at 9:20 PM

everybody cranky tonight? I hope Lance gets in. He probably won’t, though. First, the Cards need to get there. Then they can decide about him.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3788)