Oct 16, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com passes along word that Hall of Famer Ozzie Smith is auctioning off his 13 Gold Glove awards and various other items for “estate and family planning.”
According to Crasnick, in addition to all the Gold Glove awards Smith is also selling World Series rings from 2006 and 2011 that the Cardinals gave him as gifts, 11 rings he got from being chosen for All-Star games, and other awards.
No further details yet on why exactly Smith would do something like this, but reading between the lines it’s hard to imagine he’s doing well financially. Smith, who participated in a bunch of the All-Star festivities in St. Louis three months ago, is 57 years old and earned more than $30 million during his 19-year career.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (99)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)