Oct 16, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com passes along word that Hall of Famer Ozzie Smith is auctioning off his 13 Gold Glove awards and various other items for “estate and family planning.”
According to Crasnick, in addition to all the Gold Glove awards Smith is also selling World Series rings from 2006 and 2011 that the Cardinals gave him as gifts, 11 rings he got from being chosen for All-Star games, and other awards.
No further details yet on why exactly Smith would do something like this, but reading between the lines it’s hard to imagine he’s doing well financially. Smith, who participated in a bunch of the All-Star festivities in St. Louis three months ago, is 57 years old and earned more than $30 million during his 19-year career.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)