Thank goodness: another beer-themed baseball team

Oct 16, 2012, 4:35 PM EDT

generic beer

We have the Milwaukee Brewers. Now, in Oregon, we have the “Hillsboro Hops,” short-season A-ball affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks:

“The name ‘Hops’ recognizes Hillsboro’s proud agricultural heritage and the fact that Oregon is the second largest hop producing state in the United States,” said K.L. Wombacher, General Manager of the Hillsboro Hops. “Hops is also a term used regularly in baseball –- short hop, bad hop, crow hop. We feel ‘Hops’ encompasses several different components we wanted to include in our team name.”

As Portland’s own Rob Neyer noted over at SB Nation, hops also has a heck of a lot to do with beer, and folks in Portland love their beer. And a great logo too:

source:

It’s nice to see the pro-beer agenda being pushed here. In an age where Bernie Brewer no longer slides into a beer stein following homers, we need to bring some more sudsy goodness back to the game.

1. urdoingitwrongreds - Oct 16, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I admit it, I cant tell if this is sarcasm or not.

2. El Bravo - Oct 16, 2012 at 4:51 PM

You see? This is why they must legalize the endochrondesia (my term for what cops call pot). There’d be way better team names out there. Why is it that beer is so classy and cool (and legal) that it can have a team name based on it? The chronic is just as classy and cool so w t f brah? IF it were legal, I’d vote for the following:

The Chicago Kush
    Buddha Blessed Budsmokers of Baltimore
    Farm teams: North Carolina Sativas and South Caroline Indicas (imagine the interstate battles that would occur from this obvious rivalry)
    New York Bike Delivery Guys
    Seattle Superchronics
    Denver Nuggets
    Washington Whoa What Huh?

• indaburg - Oct 16, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Those are some excellent team names. I’d vote with you.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I am down with it too Bravo. Gonna’ have to work in some Afghani names as well.
      Purple Haze is also still widely popular. From your list…New York Bike Delivery Guys is my favorite.
      And you must understand…I hate everthing New York related.
      If I can overlook this…you are on to something.
      Let’s toke about it.

3. cadillacjosh - Oct 16, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Whenever the Dodgers play the Angels we call it “The Stoner Series.”

4. manute - Oct 16, 2012 at 5:09 PM

K.L. Wombacher would be a sweet name for a character in a Prohibition-era film.

5. ingloriousbastardos - Oct 16, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I assume the Dbacks will be trading the Blue Jays the rights to Todd Stottlemeyer and a Golden Glover to be named later (GGTBNL) to make sure Wally Backman is manning the top step of the dugout come opening day. No background check necessary, he’s a good man and thorough.

6. paperlions - Oct 16, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Rob Neyer is still alive? Who knew?

7. Uncle Charlie - Oct 16, 2012 at 5:47 PM

What else is there in Milwaukee besides beer, crime, and pollution?

8. bloodysock - Oct 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Hillsboro Hops would be better suited for a basketball team.

9. uwsptke - Oct 16, 2012 at 6:44 PM

God I miss that beer stein in County Stadium.

10. metalhead65 - Oct 16, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I used to work in the brewery where they made that generic beer you show in the picture. wonder how many people who thought it sucked because it was cheap knew it was the same beer beer they drank at regular price with a different label on it? took some with me to the indy time trials 1 year where I was made fun of by a couple clowns drinking bud, 2 hrs. later they were paying me 12 bucks a six pack or what I paid for the 2 cases I brought with me. anyway beer is legal and what is wrong with having a team named after one of it’s ingredients?

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Interesting Metalhead. I alwasy heard the same thing about tobacco. Specifically…the generic brand cigarettes were overflow from the name brand smokes. They swept up the overflow and sold them as generics. I can somewhat buy it. But those generics were still harsh as hell.

11. advantageschneider - Oct 16, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Yes, too bad we can’t all be fans of teams that have names with racist overtones.

• ptfu - Oct 16, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I didn’t realize Craig was a Washington Redskins fan. Or a football fan at all.

• advantageschneider - Oct 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Yeah, nothing racist about the merchandise the Braves sell.

12. foreverchipper10 - Oct 17, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I would like one t-shirt with that logo please.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 17, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Yeah…I would like one as well.

Three legends off to Cooperstown