Oct 16, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Fun story over at BusinessWeek, talking about how Major League Baseball and Gatorade are enforcing Gatorade’s postseason sponsorship deal. Expected: everyone drinking sports drinks is drinking Gatorade. You can’t exactly have a competitor’s product on screen in such instances.
Somewhat less expected: water is one of the competitors Gatorade and MLB don’t want you seeing:
When Washington Nationals manager Davey Johnson met the media prior to his team’s playoff game against the St. Louis Cardinals on Oct. 10, for example, he was instructed to pour his bottle of water into a Gatorade cup … A similar scenario played out several hours later in the Bronx, as New York Yankees slugger Raúl Ibañez—who had just saved and then won the team’s playoff game against the Baltimore Orioles with two late-game home runs—made his way to the post-game interview area.
MLB spokesman Jeff Heckelman notes that this happens in every sport (and that, no, players aren’t banned from drinking water, naturally). And I do recall this going down at the Olympics and in the NBA in the past.
Still, kinda lame if you ask me. If Raul Ibanez is water-powered, why does Gatorade get the apparent credit for it?
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 6
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)