The Gatorade cops are on the case this postseason

Oct 16, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT

Gatorade

Fun story over at BusinessWeek, talking about how Major League Baseball and Gatorade are enforcing Gatorade’s postseason sponsorship deal.  Expected: everyone drinking sports drinks is drinking Gatorade. You can’t exactly have a competitor’s product on screen in such instances.

Somewhat less expected: water is one of the competitors Gatorade and MLB don’t want you seeing:

When Washington Nationals manager Davey Johnson met the media prior to his team’s playoff game against the St. Louis Cardinals on Oct. 10, for example, he was instructed to pour his bottle of water into a Gatorade cup … A similar scenario played out several hours later in the Bronx, as New York Yankees slugger Raúl Ibañez—who had just saved and then won the team’s playoff game against the Baltimore Orioles with two late-game home runs—made his way to the post-game interview area.

MLB spokesman Jeff Heckelman notes that this happens in every sport (and that, no, players aren’t banned from drinking water, naturally). And I do recall this going down at the Olympics and in the NBA in the past.

Still, kinda lame if you ask me.  If Raul Ibanez is water-powered, why does Gatorade get the apparent credit for it?

1. The Dangerous Mabry - Oct 16, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Water sucks! Gatorade is better!

• Old Gator - Oct 16, 2012 at 12:00 PM

And he’ll be squattin’ on the coals
      Giving Gatorade to poor damned souls
      And I’ll get a swig in ‘ell from Gunga Din….

• chumthumper - Oct 17, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Isn’t it nice Old Gator has a sports drink named after him?

2. natslady - Oct 16, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Rather silly, even deceptive, but OK.

Happy twentieth birthday to Bryce Harper!

3. bouwel92 - Oct 16, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Gatorade not only quinchs your thirst it tastes better too. Gatorade Gaaaatoraade. Sorry couldn’t help myself had to say it.

4. darthicarus - Oct 16, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Have you noticed in the dugouts there are signs up that say GATORADE ONLY. Advertising – serious business.

5. hisgirlgotburrelled - Oct 16, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I’m sure the bottle of water was labeled, maybe from a company not named Gatorade?

6. Kevin S. - Oct 16, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Pssh, that’s nothing. Remember the NFL dropping a $100k fine on Brian Urlacher for wearing a VitaminWater hat during Super Bowl week?

7. Mike Luna - Oct 16, 2012 at 11:50 AM

How long before Gatorade tries to pull a Brawndo and replace water altogether? We’ll put it in drinking fountains and use it in agriculture….it’s got what plants crave!

• Old Gator - Oct 16, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Funny you should say that. My Venus flytrap recently became a vegetarian….and ate all my other plants.

• mattyflex - Oct 16, 2012 at 12:30 PM

That idea was actually in the movie Idiocracy.

Gatorade replaced water in all aspects of life and no one could understand why plants wouldn’t grow. There was essentially zero agriculture business and everything had dried up.

If you have not seen it to date, I give it high marks.

• Jeremy T - Oct 16, 2012 at 1:02 PM

what exactly did you think “pull a Brawndo” was referring to, if not Idiocracy? It’s got electrolytes!

• errorcard - Oct 16, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Water – like out of the toilet?

8. redsox51 - Oct 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I don’t think most people believe Ibanez is powered by either water or Gatorade…

• Jeremy T - Oct 16, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Nope, he’s clearly powered by the will of Satan.

• Jeremy T - Oct 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I mean it’s gotta be either that, or by our Lord and Savior Timothy Tebow.

• Jeremy T - Oct 16, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Hmm, I wonder if the thumbs down are because of the heresy, or just because nobody wants to hear about Timmay anymore…

9. prosourcetalk - Oct 16, 2012 at 12:20 PM

It’s pretty clear that Ibanez is powered by that giant wad in his left cheek

10. fat4jc - Oct 16, 2012 at 12:42 PM

How much would Gatorade have to pay to have ARod do a press conference drinking Vitamin Water?

11. icanspeel - Oct 16, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I wonder if players pour their beer into Gatorade cups too

12. serbingood - Oct 16, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Poland Springs, the ‘Official Water of the New York Yankees’ must be really pissed off over Gatorade’s power of the advertizing $$.

I’ll take a nice tall cold PS any day over a Gator. I seem to remember that PS also became the official water of Detective Adrian Monk in the last years of the series Monk.

It’s all Showbiz. After seeing how the Yankees are playing I doubt I would ever be motivated to drink Gatorade again. It might lessen my performance.

13. foreverchipper10 - Oct 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I think Gatorade replenishes the body better after a workout or a game but if I want one to drink in a casual setting I am grabbing a Powerade or Vitamin Water. They just taste better.

14. commonsenseisnotcmonman - Oct 16, 2012 at 2:41 PM

bring back Gator Gum!

• JB (the original) - Oct 16, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Quench?

15. Tick - Oct 16, 2012 at 3:15 PM

GATORADE! IT’S WHAT PLANTS CRAVE!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2807)